Using dishfinder pro with a android phone ver 2.3.4?? (1 Viewer)

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
I just got a samsung galaxy s2 phone which has a 2.3.4 version.Will the current dishpointer pro app work with this?I saw that updating to ver 2.3.3 killed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vacosta

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 27, 2005
KCMO
Any word if 2.3.4 worked with DishPointer Pro? I have a Motorola Photon with the same android version. I also heard that it didn't work so well with 2.3.3

May just end up rolling the dice since this app seems to be worth it. If I see it worked well I'll post a reply.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
My HTC Inspire with 2.3.3 works fine with Dishpointer Pro. The earlier versions of 2.3.3 had problems, but apparently they are fixed. I'm guessing that 2.3.4 should be okay, too. There is a trial period just in case you have problems.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The issue is not that the app doesn't work with 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, it is more that these Android versions have a bug which cripples the internal compass making ALL apps which rely on the compass/acceloremeter useless. Most manufacturers and carriers fixed this problem now by issuing updates.

Vacosta

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 27, 2005
KCMO
I can confirm that it worked just fine with the Motorola Photon from Sprint with Android 2.3.4

Quite impressed with how fast and accurate this app has been.

montana_satellite

May 3, 2005
Northwestern Montana
Reversed Compass on Droid Razr 2.3.5 makes Dish Pointer useless... anyone have a fix yet?

I had an HTC Thunderbolt and Dish Pointer seemed to work ok, but always seemed to be about 10 degrees off for some reason. But I upgraded to a Razr yesterday and Dish Pointer is useless with that thing as. I also discovered the compass is reversed on most compass apps on the phone like GPS Essentials and Smart Tools and others, including the Google related apps, but the "Compass" app itself seems to be working. I heard it was a bug with Android Software 2.3.4, but I have 2.3.5 and it's still an issue. I've calibrated about 10 times with no changes, so if anyone has figured out a fix, please let me know!

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The problem got introcuded with 2.3.3 and it beggars belief that some carriers/phone manufacturers have not sorted it out by now. I suggest to return all these phones and ask for your money back - this seems to be the only way to get them moving.

Chas

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Jan 5, 2005
Port St Lucie, FL
AlanSH,

DishPointer Pro
In Settings, under calibrate. I understand the screen, but is it wanting from, "Level inclination" "Level skew" etc?

Charlie,

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Hi Chas

The pixel per degree setting should stay as it is, unless it is a Xoom Tablet.

The level inclination and level skew are for calibrating the g-sensors of the device. When you point your device at the horizon, the number to the right of the cross hair should read zero. If not, you can put that value into the calibration box. The value underneath the cross hair tells you whether you are holding the phone in portrait or landscape mode. In landscape mode it should read -90 if you hold it absolutely level. If it doesn't read -90, you can take the difference and put in the level skew box.

Chas

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Jan 5, 2005
Port St Lucie, FL
AlanSH,

When you point your device at the horizon, the number to the right of the cross hair should read zero. If not, you can put that value into the calibration box.
when the number that's the difference and try it again the number goes up. Should that be? I put in 29.8, the number went up to like 64.smething. should I have put an minus in front of 29.8?

Thanks
Chas

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Yes, it would be the negated number but 29.8 is quite high. The number to the right should go from -90 (pointing camera at the floor) to +90 (pointing it overhead).

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts