Using existing wiring with new HD Antenna

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Currently on the roof is an old style round antenna, with a single RG6 coming down into a switch which splits the signal off to 6 old Sony SD receivers.

We're thinking of upgrading 3 of those old SD receivers to new single-tuner non-DVR HD receivers.

Obviously, we'll need a new dish antenna to receive the HD programming. But, will we have to run mutliple cables from it to a new type of switch? Or, can we use the existing cable/switch combo to go the both the old SD and new HD receivers?

Thanks in advance. (I'm new to D* wiring and switch configurations.)

EDIT - In case I wasn't clear with my question above, I will simplify it below:

Can I connect one output of a new Slimline 3lnb dish (99/101/103) to the existing single cable, and use the existing switch to the 6 single-tuner receivers?

Last edited:
Gary

Your choices would be to have a total of 4 wires ran from the Slimline dish to a WB68 multiswitch, from there to each individual receiver. A WB68 has 8 outputs. You didn't ask about DVR's, but you would need 2 wires from the switch to each DVR, along with b-band converters.

Your second choice would be a Slimline 3 SWM, a single wire to a splitter, then out to each receiver. DVR would only need 1 cable, and no b-band converter. Can only use with MPEG4 receivers, ie H2x, HR2*x and R22 receivers.

Alan

Gary

Your choices would be to have a total of 4 wires ran from the Slimline dish to a WB68 multiswitch, from there to each individual receiver. A WB68 has 8 outputs. You didn't ask about DVR's, but you would need 2 wires from the switch to each DVR, along with b-band converters.

Your second choice would be a Slimline 3 SWM, a single wire to a splitter, then out to each receiver. DVR would only need 1 cable, and no b-band converter. Can only use with MPEG4 receivers, ie H2x, HR2*x and R22 receivers.

Alan

Most likely of all scenarios. For the most part, Direct is making all HD installs SWM capable. Assuming he's coming in as a new customer.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the SWM setup also works with the D12 and R16 receivers.

Why would you assume I'm coming in as a new customer? Didn't you read the original post?

BTW, It's good to know that D12's work with SWM, as I would probably upgrade the 3 receivers that will remain SD with those from a nearby Best Buy.

Sorry. Was a subtle (too subtle, perhaps) hint that it would be beneficial to get all new equipment. Coming in as a new sub seems the best way. Not to mention with the years you've been posting on here it's obvious a 2 year commitment means nothing since you've expressed no interest in jumping elsewhere

R16 and D12 are compatable with SWM. I didn't mention them as Gary mentioned 99 & 103. I assumed he was asking about HD receivers. My bad.

Sorry. Was a subtle (too subtle, perhaps) hint that it would be beneficial to get all new equipment. Coming in as a new sub seems the best way. Not to mention with the years you've been posting on here it's obvious a 2 year commitment means nothing since you've expressed no interest in jumping elsewhere
It's a commercial account. At work, I'm responsible for the satellite systems, along with all other AV-related stuff. We have accounts with both D* and E* (don't ask me why both). We have 13 receivers on the E* account, and 6 on the D* account. The D* stuff has remained the same for the 10 years we've had them. Some of it is starting to fail, along with the displays that they are connected to. Time to jump into the 21st century with some HD D*. (We already have a bunch of E* HD receivers.)

R16 and D12 are compatable with SWM. I didn't mention them as Gary mentioned 99 & 103. I assumed he was asking about HD receivers. My bad.
I will be upgrading 3 of the 6 to HD. But, the remaining 3 will remain SD. (Although, if we're replacing the receivers, might as well convince the powers that be to spring for the extra $30 each for HD models, just in case we upgrade those displays.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts