Using External Hard Drive with Hopper

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Using an External Hard Drive with the Hopper is horrible. The transfer rate is about as slow as molasses in Winter Time. Couldn't the so called "Greatest Receiver Ever" have been designed with a USB 3.0 port

I don't appreciate being called a Troll. I like my Hopper ... my original Hopper failed and I only have 10 days to send it back. So, that's the only reason I care how long it takes to transfer to an external HD. Otherwise, I could care less.

I don't appreciate being called a Troll. I like my Hopper ... my original Hopper failed and I only have 10 days to send it back. So, that's the only reason I care how long it takes to transfer to an external HD. Otherwise, I could care less.
Now that you have added context to your post I don't see you as a troll any longer. You can still transfer, unattended, so that makes it a lot less worrisome. You've got 10 days just do it, but not all of it at one time.

Perhaps you should have explained that in your original post instead of making an arbitrary comment.

Yes ... maybe so. I apologize if anyone was offended. It would be nice though (in the case that the Hopper has to be replaced) if we could just hook a USB cable between them and select "transfer all". Avoiding the expense of paying $150 or more for an external HD.

Reactions: navychop
Yes ... maybe so. I apologize if anyone was offended. It would be nice though (in the case that the Hopper has to be replaced) if we could just hook a USB cable between them and select "transfer all". Avoiding the expense of paying $150 or more for an external HD.

External drives are available for a lot less than $150.00. I recommend you investigate the pricing unless your buying something very exotic. Make sure the drive has its own power supply. USB powered drives are not supported and my not work properly. 1TB drives can be had for $100 or less. You also get the ongoing benefit of expanded storage.

Last edited:
I too would prefer USB 3, even if the full speed potential were not to be realized.

The Hopper will support a 3 tb ehd. I have 1 on each of my HWSs.
I still haven't seen the official change in what is supported. Last I saw it is still 2 TB, but obviously can work with 3 TB. Remember, the difference in supported, and workable is what Dish will actually help further with.

Reactions: JSheridan
Couldn't the so called "Greatest Receiver Ever" have been designed with a USB 3.0 port
Not cost effectively. The chipset only supports USB2. None of the Broadcom SoCs are great USB performers. Wish Dish would enable the eSata port.

Now might be a good time to edit what you are saving. It maybe that you really don't need to transfer all of what you have saved. I know I have a couple of HDs I haven't played since transferring the content from my dying 612.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts