Using multiple splitters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlturner00

Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
I recently switched from Dish to Directv so I am still learning about Dtv. I have a 5th wheel camper in which I have used a tripod and a swm dish with a single H25 receiver. Everything is good with that, set up and it worked fine. I would like to use a second , and maybe a third, H25 in the bedroom. Trying to use the existing wiring, this is what I have come up with.

dtv diagram.gif

Will this work? (splitter after a splitter)

Attachments

• dtv diagram.bmp
    123.6 KB · Views: 128
I recently switched from Dish to Directv so I am still learning about Dtv. I have a 5th wheel camper in which I have used a tripod and a swm dish with a single H25 receiver. Everything is good with that, set up and it worked fine. I would like to use a second , and maybe a third, H25 in the bedroom. Trying to use the existing wiring, this is what I have come up with.

View attachment 85822

Will this work? (splitter after a splitter)
You don't need multiple SWM splitters, just the typical SWM 4 splitter would work for you and the recvrs would all connect into that ONE splitter.

Don't forget to terminate any unused ports.

The reason for 2 splitters is that all the cables don't converge in a central location. In order to connect to the bedrooms, I am using the factory wiring for a rooftop dish, which I never intend to use. $2000 for a satellite dish is not something I'm going to do. The question is can I do it this way, using one splitter to feed another?

The reason for 2 splitters is that all the cables don't converge in a central location. In order to connect to the bedrooms, I am using the factory wiring for a rooftop dish, which I never intend to use. $2000 for a satellite dish is not something I'm going to do. The question is can I do it this way, using one splitter to feed another?

You'll be fine. If the power inserter is staying where it shows in the picture it'll be a plug and play. 2 2-way splitters won't be any issue at all.

You'll be fine. If the power inserter is staying where it shows in the picture it'll be a plug and play. 2 2-way splitters won't be any issue at all.

I understand the issue about the $2000 dish, thats ridiculous, I've been looking for a cheaper version of a Cube type set up that allows HD with D*, but haven't found anything close available yet.

Then I said you didn't need the addl. splitter, I didn't know that the cables didn't all connect at one location, so yes, as Hutch already mentioned, you can do as you posted.

The RV I have have all the connections behind the passenger side overhead section with the TV in the center, one of those feeds go to the back bedroom.
Had to disconnect it from the RV Power Supply iirc.

Thanks everyone. I thought it would work but I wanted to be sure before I tried it. I could use the factory cable wiring and disconnect the antenna amp but there are splitters somewhere that I can't access without cutting holes in the wall. The wiring scheme on these things is haphazard at best. I called the manufacturer about getting a wiring diagram and they said there isn't one. That explains alot. I'm going to use the 3 wires that go to the roof from each room to tie the bedrooms to the living room. I'm still going to have to cut one hole in the ceiling to access those but that's easier than trying to run new cables. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone. I thought it would work but I wanted to be sure before I tried it. I could use the factory cable wiring and disconnect the antenna amp but there are splitters somewhere that I can't access without cutting holes in the wall. The wiring scheme on these things is haphazard at best. I called the manufacturer about getting a wiring diagram and they said there isn't one. That explains alot. I'm going to use the 3 wires that go to the roof from each room to tie the bedrooms to the living room. I'm still going to have to cut one hole in the ceiling to access those but that's easier than trying to run new cables. Thanks again.

Would it be safer to run cable underneath, instead of chancing messing the roof up and having a potential leak ?
I have my HR24 in the basement (outside door, by the exterior door) and ran a HDMI and coax for the OTA from that box up to the cabinet that connects to the front and used wiremold to cover it, really don't notice the wiremold at all.

I'm not cutting the roof, just the ceiling inside. I have read a thread on rv.net where someone did the exact same thing. I did talk to the manufacturer about it and they said the cables are accessible from inside.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts