using my receiver at my cabin 100 miles away

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

T8KITEZ

Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I have a cabin 100 miles from my home. Can I take one of my DTV receivers (HR24) to the cabin if I buy my own satelitte dish? I would like to use my home service to receive a TV signal when I go to my cabin a few times per year.

I have a cabin 100 miles from my home. Can I take one of my DTV receivers (HR24) to the cabin if I buy my own satelitte dish? I would like to use my home service to receive a TV signal when I go to my cabin a few times per year.
:welcome to Satelliteguys T8KITEZ!
Although it's technically against the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up, many people do use two locations without any problem. Two things: you will have to set the dish up yourself which can be a bit tricky, and you may not get your local channels because they are on a spot beam that may not go far enough for reliable reception at your cabin. What are the zip codes of the two locations?

Last edited:
If your cabin is within the blue border I drew so horribly, you should be good. InkedMemphis map_LI.jpg

Other than the possible loss of your local channels there should be no problems. We take our 2 receivers from the house every time we go out in our RV - the receivers have worked everywhere from coast to coast and border to border, including up into Canada.

Other than the possible loss of your local channels there should be no problems. We take our 2 receivers from the house every time we go out in our RV - the receivers have worked everywhere from coast to coast and border to border, including up into Canada.
As long as your good at setting up the dish, it should work every time ...

As long as your good at setting up the dish, it should work every time ...
With an RV it's pretty simple: once we are level, and the slideouts are out, I just press one more button and the dome works its magic - within minutes it finds the correct satellite and we're watching TV! I suspect that might change when DirecTV finally does away with its SD signals - I'll most likely change out our 15 year old dome for a current open dish system, but it will still be automatic!

Reactions: Jimbo
With an RV it's pretty simple: once we are level, and the slideouts are out, I just press one more button and the dome works its magic - within minutes it finds the correct satellite and we're watching TV! I suspect that might change when DirecTV finally does away with its SD signals - I'll most likely change out our 15 year old dome for a current open dish system, but it will still be automatic!
You've got a real nice set up ...
I've never had a dome set up built into the Motorhome .
I have used the Winegard King Quest and it worked like yours, just find an open area and let it do its thing.
Before that, I did the old way, set up the Slimline dish.

Reactions: Alan_Hepburn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)