Using non-DISH dvr

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

djezpmc

Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Minneapolis
Hi. I've had DISH (322/522) for about 6 months and love my dvr; however, I'm not sold on DISH (ridiculous customer service-- a different response to the same issue with each phone inquiry, bait 'n' switch pricing on my initial purchase, being told dvr failure with PPV is my loss, since DISH forbids dvr use with PPV because of copyright issues-- ever hear of time-shifting?). In any event, I see the 625 and 522 are for legitimate sale, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience using non-DISH dvrs, from Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic. I realize a person loses much of the optimum Tivo-like functionality by going this route, but one does gain "control" of his own equipment and can use it if he switches to another programming provider.

So, anyone with experience using non-Dish dvrs or comments on the attributes and debits in doing so?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Don't know what you mean about not being able to use Dish's DVR to record their PPV movies, because I do it all of the time. I also have taken some of those PPVs in my DVR's memory and recorded them onto DVD using a stand alone DVD recorder... I have been doing this with my 501 for a while.

thanks for the reply-- not to get distracted but FWIW...

I too have recorded a fair number of PPV movies on my dvr (it's a necessity for any viewing with two young children). My reference was to a single instance in which my dvr lost the signal due to bad weather, and since it was set to record while I slept, I didn't realize the failure until morning. In my call to DISH, I was told it was illegal to do this (which re: time shifting is not the case), so they couldn't refund my $3.99.

In short, I realize I could've called again and gotten a completely different answer; my point was really an aside: shoddy, spotty customer service leaves me only mildly committed to DISH, hence, investing in another 522 or 625, would carry limitations if I switched programming services-- hence my ultimate question _regarding the experience of others who have used non-Dish brand dvrs with a DISH set up_.

I use a Panny E-85H connected to my 811 via S-Video and it works great. The 811 now has a search feature like the DVR's, but it is limited to 2 days and it does not allow for repeat recordings, nor does it save your search list (from the search feature, but you can set repeat recordings from the Timers menu). My Panny does have the TV Guide OTA listings for local channels which it updates from my local PBS station and that works very well (if you have an analog PBS locally). It will also update from cable if you have that.

The Panny allows for daily, weekly, regular or once recordings. The regular just looks for that name in that time slot for any day, it does not pick up the name outside of that time slot. I record every Monday night Get Out, Bikini Destinations and Art Mann from HDNET, so I set up a weekly recording for Line 1 and set my 811 for a weekly recording of HDNET during those time slots and I never miss an episode.

djezpmc said:
Hi. I've had DISH (322/522) for about 6 months and love my dvr; however, I'm not sold on DISH (ridiculous customer service-- a different response to the same issue with each phone inquiry, bait 'n' switch pricing on my initial purchase, being told dvr failure with PPV is my loss, since DISH forbids dvr use with PPV because of copyright issues-- ever hear of time-shifting?). In any event, I see the 625 and 522 are for legitimate sale, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience using non-DISH dvrs, from Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic. I realize a person loses much of the optimum Tivo-like functionality by going this route, but one does gain "control" of his own equipment and can use it if he switches to another programming provider.

So, anyone with experience using non-Dish dvrs or comments on the attributes and debits in doing so?

OK, stupid question, but why ARE you still w/E*? (as opposed to D*, or even possibly from your local cable co)
Is it specific prog that is NOT on D* or cable (foreign prog, etc)
Since the ONLY thing you seem to like about E* is the DVR, you DO know that D* has DVR's as well. Since D* is now giving away 1 DVR to all customers (both new & existing) it would not cost you anything to try it out.

Let's simplify...

Okay, I didn't mean to encite E* apologists or inspire D* entrepeneurs-- I just want to know if anyone uses a non-DISH dvr with their DISH or even D* service and to elicit some comments on their brand of use and its functionality-- a la DarrellP's comments, more of which from others would be welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)