Using old dish for RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I have recently switched from VOOM to Dish and have 2 dishes, a 942, and a 311. I have an old D* dish as well as the V* dish, both single LNB. Can I use one of them with the 311 in my RV?

Yes you can, just make sure that when you hook up in the RV you change the setting in the menu from Dishh 500 or Superdish to Dish 300. That will help when your finding your settings. You'll loose the locals and a few other channels with the single LNB dish.

Should be able too, do a switch check on the 311 with nothing hooked up to it first, then hook up one of those dish's and hunt for what ever sat you want. Or find a dish 500 somewhere so you can get 119 and 110.(or you could use both dish's and an sw21 switch... but would double your install time when Rving) As for mounting options Radio shack has tripods, go to a home improvement store and find a chain link fence post (should be right size but measure) to put in the tripod. (might have to trim the post) Get some tent stakes to anchor the tripod, and an appropriate length of RG6 and you are in business.

I use a dual lnb camping because we take two receivers, and just a Direct TV dish, or a dish 300 will work. Just hit 119, it has most of the things you want. trying to hit both 119 and 110 with a dish 500 seems to take too much time. Add a few trees to the mix and it's alot easier to hit 119 only. I have one of those $35 tripod from camping world, but if I had to do it agian, I would get a little better tripod, although they are not too bad. As stated, a single lnb and try to hit just 119 will make it alot easier.

Is there any decent meter for sighting in satellites ? And semi cheap ?

i have been doing this installing thing for quite a while now, and anytime anyone asks for a recomendation on a meter for camping i tell them that any meter is better than nothing...
i have two meters that i use daily... a channel master dual meter... and a cheap inline perfect vision (i think) meter... i have been using that cheap $20 meter for 3 years and it has always been trustworthy.
so if you are just going to be using it a few times a year, to point a dish slapped on a tripod to get ya a signal for a few days, i recommend just buying a cheap inline meter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)