using old dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mainah

Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Maine
I'm sure that this has probably been covered and I apologize ahead of time if it has. I tried to do a search to find information but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

I have an old DirecTv dish on a pole outside, and am wondering if I can use it with my existing receiver this weekend when I go on a trip.

I am heading to my camp, and haven't had time yet this summer to investigate having DirecTv hook up or other options.

I attached a photo of the spare dish that I have and I have HR24 receivers. Can I use one of my receivers with this dish?

If using the dish for DirecTv purposes won't work, will it work for just regular over the air tv?

Attachments

• 2013-08-23_11-18-08_939.jpg
    2013-08-23_11-18-08_939.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 2013-08-23_11-18-16_906.jpg
    2013-08-23_11-18-16_906.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 2013-08-23_11-18-31_495.jpg
    2013-08-23_11-18-31_495.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 172
That will be fine for SD programming. NO HD from that dish but it will work for the weekend & be good practice
In MENU......SET UP on your receiver...select "round dish". View the signal meter for the 101 satellites.... that is the only one ithat dish will "see."
Before you pack your receiver go into MENU ...SET UP on your current TV.. and enter the zip code you are visiting.....to get the azimuth (compass line) and elevation......write that down and take it with you along with a 7 / 16 wrench and a level to get the pole plumb.
You will have to change the elevation and use a new az (compass line) Make sure the pole is plumb & will not spin ot fall over.

When you get back change the selected dish back to the one it is using now.

You might want to test it and practice tuning before hitting the road.

Joe

Awesome!

Thanks for the info Joe! I'm not concerned about the HD, just want something to watch at night.

Correct me if I'm wrong. For both tuners to work, he'll need to run 2 cables from the dish. Also, the HR24 requires the inclusion of B Band Converters when using a non-SWM dish setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong. For both tuners to work, he'll need to run 2 cables from the dish. Also, the HR24 requires the inclusion of B Band Converters when using a non-SWM dish setup.

The HR24 only needs BBCs when you are using a dish capable of receiving the HD satellites, which a round dish will not do, so NO BBCs needed.

Me neither, but checking lnbf part number BSNA5-501A shows it is a dual:)

Gotta wonder what they were thinking back in da day!
If people ordered a single receiver they got a single line LNB....... and the tech was supposed to record a serial number off the LNB. Then is they ever wanted two or more receivers someone would be sent to change a LNB to a dual. Then all SD LNBs became duals.............so one wire or two showing it was probably a dual LNB.

Joe

Thanks for the info everyone. Haha I just remember I had posted here and thought I would check back to see if my post had sparked more conversation...I haven't had a chance to hook it all up to test it all out yet but will tomorrow before we leave.

Hopefully it will all work out easy enough! It sure will be nice to have something to watch at night...we go through movies quick! Especially on rainy days!

If you only have one cable to hook up to the receiver, then in the satellite setup screen, you can set it to Tuners Single.. That will stop the Searching for satellite on Sat In 2 message. Just change it back when you go home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)