Using Older DirecTV Satellite for Dish Network Outdoor

phenry1996

Original poster
Jul 18, 2022
Arkansas
I have an old satellite (pictures attached) that was used with DirecTV. I am now looking into getting the Dish Outdoor package for tailgates during football season. My main question is, will this satellite work with the Wally receiver from Dish? If not, is there a Dish receiver that will work with this satellite? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG-3968.JPEG
    IMG-3968.JPEG
    166.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG-3969.jpeg
    IMG-3969.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 101
Short answer: yes and yes

Longer answer: This dish and LNB would only be capable of receiving one satellite orbital location at a time, which would limit the channels you can receive, unless you don't mind re-aiming the dish frequently, any time you want to get different channels. This is also a "legacy" LNB (intended for DirecTV, but still compatible with Dish receivers) so the Test Installation procedure will take a lot longer on the Wally than it would if you had a newer Dish Pro LNB. (The "Check Switch" test would have 38 steps to check, instead of being in the single digits with the newer LNB.)

For national channels, my recommendation would be to aim for either the 72 satellite (Eastern Arc) or 129 satellite (Western Arc) to be able to get the most HD channels without needing to re-aim the dish. Here are some channel lists (now slightly outdated) for both of those orbitals:

The satellite needed for local channels will vary, depending on where you are located. Or, you could simply add an OTA antenna to receive the broadcast locals that way. For the Wally, you would also need to add a USB OTA adapter, if you want those antenna channels to be integrated into your guide along with the Dish channels.

There are older receivers that have an OTA tuner built-in, if you would rather have that instead of needing to add an adapter. Look for either a ViP211 (no letter at the end of the model number) or a ViP211k. Avoid the ViP211z at all costs if you want to integrate an OTA antenna, since that model also requires a USB OTA adapter, and only has one satellite tuner. (The other ViP211 models also only have one satellite tuner.) If you want to be able to record two satellite channels at the same time (requires an external hard drive, and activation of DVR functionality) then you would be better off with a Wally.

If you want to be able to record two satellite channels at the same time (requires an external hard drive, and activation of DVR functionality) then you would be better off with a Wally.
Adding a little to this, the second satellite tuner requires either DPP or DPH feeds to work. Regular DP and legacy will limit you to one tuner, regardless of DVR functionality being enabled or not. Tailgaters/Playmakers/Portable dish’s in general are DP based as well (older models even Legacy), with the trav’ler being the only option if you want the second tuner to work (besides manually aimed satellite dishes, of course).

Adding a little to this, the second satellite tuner requires either DPP or DPH feeds to work. Regular DP and legacy will limit you to one tuner, regardless of DVR functionality being enabled or not. Tailgaters/Playmakers/Portable dish’s in general are DP based as well (older models even Legacy), with the trav’ler being the only option if you want the second tuner to work (besides manually aimed satellite dishes, of course).
Thanks! I thought of that after I posted, but I didn't bother to go back and fix it. In any case, it sounds like it would be a lot easier for the Thread Starter to simply get the proper dish for an entire arc (rather than only a single satellite location) in order to get all of the Dish channels, and get full functionality from the Wally. I happen to have a 1000.4 dish listed for sale in the Classifieds section here. I am offering the dish itself for free to anyone who is willing to pay the shipping cost. The only part that I would want any additional money for is the LNB. I have the Eastern Arc LNB which does three satellites, 61.5 / 72 / 77. (77 is no longer used by Dish, though.) Otherwise, the Thread Starter could find a Western Arc LNB somewhere else in order to have a complete Western Arc (110 / 119 / 129) dish.

I happen to have a 1000.4 dish listed for sale in the Classifieds section here. I am offering the dish itself for free to anyone who is willing to pay the shipping cost. The only part that I would want any additional money for is the LNB. I have the Eastern Arc LNB which does three satellites, 61.5 / 72 / 77. (77 is no longer used by Dish, though.)
Thanks to a member named HopperGenie, this dish is now no longer available. I'll close my thread in the Classifieds section. Enjoy your new dish, HopperGenie!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)