Using PC TV Tuner Card as TV2 from 622....Help plz!

adam61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I have a VIP 622 in my living room. I do a ton of work on my office though and have two monitors. I've been trying to research TV Tuner cards and information seems a little scarce. My office is wired as TV2 for the VIP622. I just want to know which kind of card I need to be to plug the Coax from my wall (Which is coming from the VIP622) to a PCI Card on my computer that will let me watch TV and do all that fancy stuff. Sorry for the dumb question but reading up on them is very confusing, it seems a lot of the card act as receivers. Also I know you have to put TV2 on like Channel 60 and I don't know how the PCI cards do that. Can anyone help me plz? Thanks!

I am currently doing this via a 625 to my daughter's PC, because she doesn't want another monitor in her bedroom. Works great. All you need is an NTSC tuner card. These typically tune in all broadcast TV (VHF and UHF) and cable channels, so there is no problem picking a channel and tuning it in via one of these PCI card tuners. Most will even scan for channels if you've forgotten how you set up TV2.

Incidentally, you might as well put TV1 on the coax too with a splitter/combiner. Then you can choose which tuner you want to look at via the PCI tuner's channel selector.

No need for an ATSC tuner or combo tuner, unless you also want to receive OTA digital next year. So, your PCI card should be pretty cheap. ;)

I have mine running on my pc using a cheap ati tuner card. Works great! It will come with software that does all the channel picking and stuff. You can even record to the pc if you want to use a standard receiver that has no dvr functions.

Just to make sure I understand. I need an NTSC tuner? I thought the signal coming out of the box was Digital isn't that ATSC? Sorry I'm still new to this stuff and it looks like if I get the wrong tuner it won't work at all! :)

Just to make sure I understand. I need an NTSC tuner? I thought the signal coming out of the box was Digital isn't that ATSC? Sorry I'm still new to this stuff and it looks like if I get the wrong tuner it won't work at all! :)

It's digital if you're using s-video or HDMI, sure. The coax output on your 622 will send it out NTSC.

It's digital if you're using s-video or HDMI, sure.
Actually, s-video is analog. The only digital connections to a TV are HDMI and the coax input into the ATSC tuner. Everything else is analog ... s-video, composite, component, rf-modulated (NTSC tuner).

Last edited:
Actually, s-video is analog. The only digital connections to a TV are HDMI and the coax input into the ATSC tuner. Everything else is analog ... s-video, composite, component, rf-modulated (NTSC tuner).

The component will do HD as well.

So I should either get a hybrid tuner like a Hauppauge WinTV-1600 or ATI TV Wonder 600....or also a cheapo Analog only one should work like the ATI TV Wonder 200. The analog ones concerned me cause most said "software encoding" I'd prefer as little CPU load as possible so would a card like the Hauppauge WinTV-1600 be my best bet?

The analog ones concerned me cause most said "software encoding"...
This should not concern you if you only want to view the program in real time. If, however, you want to turn your PC into a DVR, then your present computer may or may not be fast enough with a software encoder.

An alternative is to record the program without compression. :eek: That will obviously suck up disk space at a terrific rate. But it shouldn't challenge your CPU simply to move those bytes to disk.

Also interested in this subject and getting my PC up and running to record shows--

how many shows can a 750 Hard drive hold?

Trying to decide if I want to hook up to the receiver as an external add on or record on my PC computer system.

Leaning toward the PC so can have more control on copying shows later to take with me on a portable device.

If I initially copy to an external drive-- how hard to later move it to PC if I have the coax connection near to each and have computer set up as a TV2

I have heard that Haupaauge will have a QAM cappable PC USB tuner available soon (next few months)-- is it needed?

Trying to decide if I want to hook up to the receiver as an external add on or record on my PC computer system.
Programs, once moved to the external disk, are encrypted. So you should stick with the analog PC-tuner solution, if you want to move those programs elsewhere.

If I initially copy to an external drive-- how hard to later move it to PC if I have the coax connection near to each and have computer set up as a TV2?
That should work. You just need to play the program via TV2 remote and record the program via PC tuner while doing so.

I have heard that Haupaauge will have a QAM cappable PC USB tuner available soon (next few months)-- is it needed?
The QAM part is useless for anything but recording digital cable signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)