Using the 510 to record from outside source?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi all,

So, the 510 only has RF input (one from the dish and one from cable/antenna). My question is, has anybody trying using an RF adaptor from a DVD player/VCR so that you can use the 510 to record from that source?

Thanks!

Ouch. Very poor grammar.

What he was trying to say is that the 510 doesn't have an MPEG-2 encoder in it. It just sends an analog RF signal as a pass through to your TV. If it is an RF signal, then it does one down conversion to IF first to make a composite output, but that is it. No digitizing, no encoding. The 510 only records a digital MPEG2 compressed signal. It can't record an analog signal.

jsanders said:
Ouch. Very poor grammar.

What he was trying to say is that the 510 doesn't have an MPEG-2 encoder in it. It just sends an analog RF signal as a pass through to your TV. If it is an RF signal, then it does one down conversion to IF first to make a composite output, but that is it. No digitizing, no encoding. The 510 only records a digital MPEG2 compressed signal. It can't record an analog signal.

Gotcha! Thank you both for the reply, although the answer wasn't what I wanted to hear! :no Oh well, I guess I may have to either get a DVR for my other sat system or get a DVD recorder.