Using two DirecTivo DVR 10s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RadioRan

Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Using two DirecTivo DVR 10s with one card

Hello again,
It is my understanding that the activated card (current subscription) grants the recording ability to the RCA DVR-10 box. Can one card be moved from one DVR-10 to another (both of them mine) to allow recording on a second unit?
In other words, are the cards coded to permission only one specific serial numbered box?
Thanks,
Randy

Yes, but I guess my question is, WHY are you asking this???
It's only an extra $5 to fully activate the 2nd box - you DO know that you do NOT have to pay another $5 D-Tivo fee, right? (as you do with DISH)

I called DirecTV and the rep said I WOULD have to pay an additional $5.00/month for the additional TiVo activation. Maybe I should try another time for a different opinion?
Are you saying I could just call them, and ask for an additional activated card for free?

OK, lets try this again...
You ALREADY have 1 D-Tivo activated, correct?
I also assume you ARE paying for the D-Tivo service itself, on that same unit, which is $5 that you are paying to make the D-Tivo record, correct?
When you go to activate the 2nd D-Tivo box, you will ONLY pay an extra $5 for the activation of the 2nd unit - D* does NOT charge the D-Tivo per box, it's per ACCOUNT, regardless of how many D-Tivo boxes you have. But you STILL have to pay the extra $5 additional receiver charge, but you would have to pay this for a non-DVR receiver, so it is NOT costing you anything extra to have a 2nd Tivo box over a 2nd standard box. I assure you that EVERYONE on this board will agree with me...

The bottom line is - it is ONLY costing you an extra $5 to make the 2nd box FULLY work like the first one, dual tuners & all!
Just call up & say you want to activate your 2nd box; they'll turn it on & you're all set.

The additional 4.99 per month is a mirroring charge. You must pay this charge for any additional receiver added to your account. There is no legal way around it.

Ah, yes... I understand where we were confused. The 2nd TiVo would NOT have replaced an existing receiver. That's why I was sweating the "additional" monthly... But that's a whole lot cheaper than buying more VHS, and DVDs, and remembering to program everything.
'Spose they'd allow a 2nd TiVo at the same "introductory" rate ($50.00)? Would I be obligated to an additional programming committment?

RadioRan said:
Ah, yes... I understand where we were confused. The 2nd TiVo would NOT have replaced an existing receiver. That's why I was sweating the "additional" monthly... But that's a whole lot cheaper than buying more VHS, and DVDs, and remembering to program everything.
'Spose they'd allow a 2nd TiVo at the same "introductory" rate ($50.00)? Would I be obligated to an additional programming committment?
Sorry Directv rules, one $50 rebate per account but if you shop around you might still be able to find a 40 gig DirecTiVo for $50 but $99 for the 80 gig isn't bad. :)

RadioRan said:

If you mean putting you on an additional 1 year committment to a minimum of TC, then most likely yes.

boba said:
Sorry Directv rules, one $50 rebate per account but if you shop around you might still be able to find a 40 gig DirecTiVo for $50 but $99 for the 80 gig isn't bad. :)

I believe he's an existing D* sub, so he could NOT get the $50 rebate anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts