using two lnb's on a 1.2. couple of questions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
i have ordered the lnb holder from satelliteav for the 1.2 to have one c and one k band lnb with a 22k switch feeding the microhd. is there any specific order to put the lnb's in? like position the c band closer to the center than the k band or vise versa? or should i use the dmx741 for getting both bands? thanks, charlie

Think I would put the C-band in the center to max out the dish efficiency. You could use the 741 as long as the Ku sat is the same as the C-band sat you are looking at, and you could add an off-skew LNBF for AMC-1... Is this a motorized dish?

A few years ago we had a flurry of interest in mini-budding.
From what I recall, a 1.2 will still provide reasonable reception on Ku off center.
So the popular solution was to maximize C band performance by putting it at the exact focus.
(it's a larger diameter, so to center it, you'll need to mod the holder/struts to accommodate)
Then the Ku LNBF was mounted as closely beside the C LNBF as possible

Some used conical scalars for C.
Some user flat scalars, but recessed the LNBF mouth inside the scalar.
I think it was ACradio who talked about that (and I pasted the info often).

Some who used flat scalars cut a notch in the side so their Ku LNBF could snuggle closer to the focal point.
Anyway, that's a quick overview to give a taste of the research members have already done.

thats the information i was looking for to start this project. i want to get a c band lnbf with the best signal reception, then this 1.2 is so strong with the satelliteav geosatpro sl1pll. i have a geosatpro c band lnbf i got from wallyhts to try out. is it better than the dmx741? thanks, charlie

I think the rule of thumb might include these point:
- mini-budding has less margin, so optimize
- C-only LNBF is better than C + Ku models
- some brands (guts, chipsets) outperform others
- it'd be silly to put a C-only ortho on a 1.2 :)
- I think the SatAV C2 is best of the lnbfs, but don't know what would be 2nd choice

And again, getting the scalar tweaked is a major performance boost.
I don't have the link handy, but if I recall what ACradio did...
it was something like this...
he mounted the LNBF by its body
then then inched the scaler fore 'n aft to peak the signal
after that, you could leave scalar alone & slide the pair in 'n out to peak focus.
As with any tuning, know if you have interfering transponder on nearby bird
tune up on a weak signal, not one that saturates the receiver

We have plenty of successful 1.2m mini budders, and I'm sure they'll offer better tips.
Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts