using VIP622 with hoppers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeff_k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Diego, CA
I currently have 2 VIP622s, 1 that I own outright (the leased one I will be returning). I am getting an upgrade to a 2 hopper/1 joey setup. I also currently have a DISH1000 and a DPP44 switch. My interest is to still be able to use the owned 622 as an OTA receiver/DVR that I can keep connected to a TV. May as well, I own it...

I understand that although the 622 can't talk to the rest, I can keep it in the setup if I keep the DPP44, and connect the 622 to one of the 4 outputs (the powered one), and have the other 3 go to a Duo for the hoppers and joey. Will I need to pay Dish to keep the 622 operating, if all I want is OTA recording/viewing? Do I need them to do anything for it to be active?

Thanks

The hopper and joeys won't activate on accounts that have older equipment on them. You'll have to remove your VIP622's from the account to get the H/J system. I believe the only exception is an owned 211/211k/411 receiver for tailgaters.

It's a business rule from Dish and not a compatibility issue. They want to start weaning people off the older equipment.

I suppose I don't have to have the 622 connected to the system, since it will only be connected to the OTA antenna. Will it still work as an OTA receiver/DVR, or without having it connected to the system, will it just not function?

Will it still work as an OTA receiver/DVR, or without having it connected to the system, will it just not function?
I don't believe it will function without being on an active account.

The Hopper will be getting a OTA Tuner that connects via USB. Unfortunately it's very delayed at this point so no telling when it will show up. Probably in the next few months. The general recommendation is that someone who is very dependent upon DVR recording of OTA should probably hold off on upgrading until the tuner is actually released/tested/etc.

Thanks, sparc - It's not that important, my OTA channels are all on the satellite, I was just trying to figure out if the owned 622 is a paperweight after the upgrade. Sounds like it is, but maybe I can get a couple $ for it on ebay. Interesting that the OTA tuner will connect via USB - that is certainly existing technology, curious that it is so delayed. I would imagine that some are not taking the plunge as a result, so it would behoove them to get them out.

The only way to have the 622 as well as Hopper/Joey would be to have it on a separate account.

I was just trying to figure out if the owned 622 is a paperweight after the upgrade. Sounds like it is, but maybe I can get a couple $ for it on ebay.
looks like you should be able to get some money out of them... http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_ipg=200&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=dish 622&_sop=16

Interesting that the OTA tuner will connect via USB - that is certainly existing technology, curious that it is so delayed. I would imagine that some are not taking the plunge as a result, so it would behoove them to get them out.
the hardware is ready, but it looks like the software is what's actually delayed. The hopper is different from what they've done before. you can read up on OTA here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...pper-due-to-lack-of-OTA?p=2915985#post2915985

I have a 522 that I own. I can still play the recorded programs even though it is not connected to any source.
I also have a 722k that is still on my account with 2 Hoppers.
This is all in my RV which is not allowed to have a Hopper.
I have not tried to use the OTA on the 522 or 722k since I got the Hoppers. My media cabinet is so crowded I have not bothered to hook it up that way.

The 522/625 is old school (and a target of the TiVo litigation). What it can or cannot do has little to no relevance in a ViP Duo DVR discussion.

He might think it is still on the account, but it may NOT be. Could he confirm that his ViP is FULLY functional with Hopper system on same account? I think Dish can make a mixed system happen, but it is very rare. The common CSR's can't do it (the system software won't permit it), but I think higher ups can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts