Using Y DVI cable for two HD devices?

lasher66

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
Hi,
I have the Dish 811 that uses the DVI input on my TV. I bought a sony DVD upconvert player that also uses DVI. I seen on ebay that they are selling DVI Y cables, but most of them say for running dual moniters on computers. Can I use this cable for my TV?

Thanks
Lasher

To do it right, and for HDCP Support, you will probably need an HDMI(then using HDMI to DVI Adapters) or DVI switch that supports HDCP. Geffen and Zektor make some nice ones. But, they are lot more expensive than the $10 Y cables on Ebay. $300+

Wonder what would happen if you had both DVI source trying to send to your Deisplay device at once through the Y cable from ebay? Not sure myself, as I haven't tried it.

try searching at avsforums for a definitive answer.

Thos DVI Y-cables will not work. The DVI connector actually has enough pins to support two different monitors. This is so High end computer graphics cards can support two monitors with a single connector. You then use the Y-cable to break out the two feeds and send each to its respective monitor.

Your 811's DVI-D connector likley only puts a video signal on the "monitor 1" set of pins in the DVI connector. The pins which would feed "monitor 2" of the Y-Cable would be dead air.

That AV123 switcher looks nice. It would still be nice for a switch box to cost less than $200, but at least it is less than $300. A simple pass-through HDMI switcher shouldn't cost that much to build.

A S-Video switchbox can be had for less than $15.

I haven't read many of the 811 connection threads. Just got mine a couple of weeks ago. I connected both the DVI and component outputs to my TV and the DVI-HDMI connection produces a stunning picture, using an $11 eBay cable. From your comments, I must assume that others have not had the same experience. If so, then perhaps it does vary from TV to TV, I know some HDTV owners report poorer pictures from all sources through their HDMI connectors.

Most people, myself included, experience a washed out image via the DVI port. I now have my Voom stb connected via DVI just because I ran out of component inputs on my switch box and I am not pleased with the results, it lacks the color snap that I get via component, though the picture is a tad sharper.

So it sounds like you are seeing the degraded image from all sources connected via your DVI port, rather than this being an 811 issue. I know of several people who have reported the same over on the AVSforum board. However many people, in fact the vast majority, with new sets now report that connecting via HDMI works best for them, whether it is a DVD player with HDMI/DVI or a HDTV receiver.

My picture via the DVI to HDMI cable is a bit sharper, and has a bit better color than with analog/component. There is not the slightest trace of it being more washed out.

The key may be newer sets, I have a front pj (Sanyo Z-2) and have tried 3 different devices: Dish 811, Voom stb and an upconverting DVD player and all of my sources look washed out, so I suppose I should suspect my pj and not the other equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts