USTVNOW review

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Folks, decided to sign up to USTVNOW (paid service) for the weekend. Here's my thoughts on the service:

USTVNOW is compatible w/ Apple TV, Roku, Google TV, XMBC, PC, Android/Windows/Apple phones, iPad, iPad mini, iPod, Android tablet, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, ASUS Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Sony tablet S, Kindle Fire and Microsoft Surface Windows 8 tablet.

PC

5 day guide
Easy recording features
Choice of LOW/MED/HIGH resolution and HD when available.

Roku

3 hour guide
No choice of resolution: Get the best available
Can pause/rewind programming without DVR access

Ipad w/ Chrome: Couldn’t connect (time out?)

PROS:

45 Day Free trial (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS, CW and MyTV)
Can view on 3 devices simultaneously (except on PC)
Nice selection of basic cable channels: Networks, A/E, Discovery, Comedy, FX, USA, TNT, Animal Planet, Nation Geographic etc.
Low buffering time (under 10 seconds)
Compatible with many devices
HD channels are very watchable, near HD quality in 16x9 (Roku)
Can pause/rewind shows you’re watching.

CONS:

Fast HD movments are blurry (ie- sports tickers)
Standard definition channels are poor in quality (Roku)
Does not list which Channels are HD or standard
DVR access is an extra
Price: 19$ for first 3 months/29% afterwards (no DVR service)
Roku has not guide.
No choice in locals (Pennsylvania).

Overall, it was fun to play with this service for the weekend. However quality/quantity and price ratio don’t balance out. For almost 30$ a month, I would normally expect full DVR features, full HD and more channels considering this is a streaming service.

Granted for ex-pats living abroad 29$ might seem like a real deal if they have no other options, but for the rest of US with several options, it's just too expensive and goes againsts the "cord cutting principles".

Cheers, K

Last edited:
I like the day pass feature. I had been looking for something like this for Oscar, New Year's Eve, etc.... I don't really miss regular TV as I could get most of any TV episode on internet. I do miss the live events. Day pass is perfect for me. And for Olympics, I could even pay for a month!

Good review Kraven! If USTVNOW offered "ABC Family" I would consider getting it for the month of December for their 25 days of Christmas.

I'm currently on the free 45 day plan and the HD doesn't look too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts