Uverse Availability?

Until AT&T actually activates the VRAD they have just installed next to our house and begins to offer the service I'm holding off on my excitement.

A few years back our phone provider SBC now renamed AT&T actually trenched and installed Nodes throughout our neighborhood along with running fiber to each individual home. It wasn't easy and I'm sure cost a fortune. At some point SBC must have decided it wasn't going to be cost effect to go the FIOS route and they actually removed the rather large powered Nodes and that was the end of it. I still have the fiber sticking out of PVC right next to the garage, what a waste.

Here is a picture of the recently installed VRAD.

newvrad.jpg
Another good photo. Thanks again. Going hunting tonight:D

Well as of 1:35 PST today our VRAD is officially powered up. I heard the four AT&T trucks that had been next to it leave and thought I'd go out and see what kind of mess they had left. Much to my surprise I could hear a low frequency hum and the attached electric meter was turning.

As I was standing there an AT&T project manager drove up and I was able to question him a little. The first thing that surprised me was that he said there were no immediate plans to offer VOIP. I had thought it would be bundled in with the TV and internet service but he said no, at least for now. He said they were attempting to actually be ready to offer the U-verse package in April, but as always I'm not going to hold my breath.:)

As I was standing there an AT&T project manager drove up and I was able to question him a little. The first thing that surprised me was that he said there were no immediate plans to offer VOIP. I had thought it would be bundled in with the TV and internet service but he said no, at least for now. He said they were attempting to actually be ready to offer the U-verse package in April, but as always I'm not going to hold my breath.:)

They don't need to offer VoIP since they're be using the same copper as your POTS service for Uverse service. They can still do triple, or quadtriple if you include Cingular/AT&T Wireless service.

No wonder some cities are temporarily blocking these monstrocities. Wow that's fugly.

Who cares , they are almost all in alleys , and they will normally be located not too far from existing copper pair " interconnect " boxes ( for lack of better term ) .

Around here , there is always a small cabinet which the AC power is brought to , then power sub-feeds to the VRAD cabinet .

From what I understand , fiber is brought to the VRAD and copper cable is run from the VRAD to the copper pair " interconnect " box ?

Wyr

Who cares , they are almost all in alleys , and they will normally be located not too far from existing copper pair " interconnect " boxes ( for lack of better term ) .

Alley, what's an alley:D I haven't lived somewhere for 35 years that had an alley.

Yep, some are located next to an interconnect cabinet or remote terminal but down here's there's a lot of free standing one's plainly visable from the street.

Down here in Miami, we are one of a handful of cities that have BELLSOUTH Cable...does anyone know if that will be converted into UVerse....of should I not hold my breath too long?:(

Regarding VOIP: I don't think there is really a need for this, because from what I have seen, AT&T builds all their bundles around POTS service, and in some cases (such as the new Unity plans) is trying to make their POTS competitive with VOIP, in terms of unlimited LD to USA from landline + unlimited LD to any AT&T customer from cellular.

Alley, what's an alley:D I haven't lived somewhere for 35 years that had an alley.

Yep, some are located next to an interconnect cabinet or remote terminal but down here's there's a lot of free standing one's plainly visable from the street.

Well , in the civilized part of the nation , we have alleys that provide access to the dumpsters and utilities . All of which are out of sight from the street . :)

But even if we did not , who cares . Those that do not like to look at telephone boxes would be the ones screaming the loudest if their telephone service vanished .

Wyr

Regarding VOIP: I don't think there is really a need for this, because from what I have seen, AT&T builds all their bundles around POTS service, and in some cases (such as the new Unity plans) is trying to make their POTS competitive with VOIP, in terms of unlimited LD to USA from landline + unlimited LD to any AT&T customer from cellular.

No, actually, it's the opposite. They are going to provide VoIP phone service with UVerse. It's just not there yet. They already allow you to sign up for UVerse-enabled DSL without a POTS line.