UVPHACTORY Creates Liquid Metal Environments For VOOM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

voom.jpg

VOOM HD Originals, owned by Rainbow Media, has tapped the New York-based design and production company
UVPHACTORY created liquid metal environment for VOOM HD

(UVPH) to expand on the liquid metal environment they created for an earlier network branding campaign. For both VOOM HD Originals Junkies, which highlights upcoming theatrical releases, and HDVD Extra, which features DVD extras from new DVD releases, UVPH conceived and created program packaging (including a show open, backgrounds and wipes) which rolled out nationally in late August.

Brian Welsh, UVPH Senior Producer explained,” VOOM HD Originals wanted to play off a look we created for them last year. As this hi-def project opens you see globules of mercury racing through a black space-like background, passing an orbiting planet, actually the VOOM HD Originals logo, and then crashing into an invisible plane spelling out either Movie Junkies or HDVD Extra.”

“We were working with HD and 3D, which is not really my element, so I had my own challenges. We took the opportunity to really push the envelope in-house. We wanted to achieve picture perfect metal, high end texturing and movement. We also wanted to create the unexpected - not the usual metal forming on the ground and rising up. To create an ambiguity, a mysteriousness, we kept the liquid metal going in a different direction and followed it as it slowly flew though gravity free space resolving in the VOOM title,” UVPH Creative Director Alexandre Moors continued. “I made the boards and then handed them to Ryan Bradley who animated and textured them. Then I took them back and I did the compositing, the lens flares and all the details. For a compositor and designer HD is a joy. When you work with regular resolution you are working on an image which is always compromised compared to print. But when you are working in HD, it can be picture perfect and you can make each frame the most beautiful frame in and of itself. I had a great time adding all the tiny little details.”

UVPHACTORY Animator Ryan Bradley utilized Next Limit Technologies’ RealFlow 2.5 particle-based fluid simulator to create the liquid environments. “Usually I animate in Softimage XSI but with RealFlow everything is based on real world physics so I had to understand the physics of how water works, and why water looks different than mercury, and what effects gravity or surface tension bring to bear. It was challenging as I had a very short time in which to master a whole new scientific lingo before I could begin the animation process,” Ryan added.

“Hi-definition allows us to create complex graphics with intense detail and saturated colors that never translated well in standard definition. We challenge our vendors to produce graphics packages that exploit the opportunities unique to designing in hi-definition," said Ben Rubin, VP of On-Air Creative for VOOM HD Originals.

The UVPHACTORY creative team included Executive Creative Director Scott Sindorf; Technical Director Damijan Saccio; Creative Director Alexandre Moors; Senior Producer Brian Welsh; Designers/Animators Jake Slutsky and Bashir Hamid; Animator/Simulation Genie Ryan Bradley; and Editor Damien Baskette.

UVPHACTORY utilized RealFlow 2.5 to create the liquid metal effects, and Softimage XSI 4.0, Adobe After Effects 6.5, Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe Illustrator CS, and Apple Final Cut Pro 4.5 in the completion of this project.

Rainbow Media Creative Services/VOOM HD Originals was represented by VP On-Air Creative VOOM HD Originals Ben Rubin and Creative Director Jason Bylan.