v1.6 nothing but reboots

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

liveswithmom

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
So my TT 1.5x worked great and I forgot to turn off that automatic upgrade trap and got sucked in to 1.6. So far I have yet to get a stable recording because the software constantly reboots. Do they do any testing over there? My logfile is practically useless as well.

Hmmm.... actually looking at my logfile right now I see that it has decided to clear itself out. I have not physically cleared my logfile out for several weeks and now it only goes back 4 days...

Is there some sort of memory leak or buffer issues when recording in 1.6 that causes the reboot?

There was a thread about this issue - and its possible causes, but due to the forum aging and the fact they let things get "old" and disappear so that they can say they don't delete things - its gone - and I am not about to recreate the whole issue - the end state was that they blamed this on USB drivers on Dual Core or Dual CPU or Hyperthreaded machines. The problem with this theory was that some version DID NOT CAUSE REBOOTS which - if it were due to a problem with dual cpu machines then it should have been present on all versions.

regardless - its not there - this is also no longer a Support forum but a discussion forum.. open tickets at help.TimeTraxTech.com

Good Luck Bro!

hmmm.... I did see something about dual-core and hyperthreading and about inserting 'single CPU' or something or other in to the startup. I was wondering, would this disable hyperthreading on my CPU? The next question would be, why should I disable an expensive feature of my CPU, degrading overall performance just so this version of TT will run without rebooting?

liveswithmom said:
hmmm.... I did see something about dual-core and hyperthreading and about inserting 'single CPU' or something or other in to the startup. I was wondering, would this disable hyperthreading on my CPU? The next question would be, why should I disable an expensive feature of my CPU, degrading overall performance just so this version of TT will run without rebooting?

Your comments are valid and correct :)

Yes, this would disable XP from using or seeing the second CPU (wether virtual with hyperthreading or physical with dual core).

Well... in that thread it was recommended that you create a dual boot option kinda menu prompt - so that when you wanted to run TT you use the single cpu option and when you weren't (or willing to risk the havoc of reboots and blue screens) you would choose the other.

This suggestion, although not directly suggested by the TT support staff but commented on as being a valid option further proved to me, that someone just doesn't get it. The TT app is running ALL DAY - ALL NIGHT, maybe even all week. And this why Memory management and threads is so very important. More important that some simple app thats gonna run and the go away.

Crash

I'm having the exact same problem here... just bought a new Dell XPS 400 with dual core processor... nothing but reboots everytime I run TimeTrax!!

I've tried version 1.4 & version 1.6, neither works for me.

We're obviously going to need a new version of TT that is compatible with dual / multi core processors...

Can anyone from TT staff comment on when we might see this??

I have it too. 1.6 reboots within an hour on 3 different machines I've tried. Two are XP Pro and One is 2k. One is a laptop 1ghz, one is a HT 3ghz, and one is an old Pent 1.7ghz.

I also tried going backwards to 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 and they all seem to do the same thing.

BTW - I am running the Sirius flavor.

Randy

rrm64 said:
I have it too. 1.6 reboots within an hour on 3 different machines I've tried. Two are XP Pro and One is 2k. One is a laptop 1ghz, one is a HT 3ghz, and one is an old Pent 1.7ghz.

I also tried going backwards to 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 and they all seem to do the same thing.

BTW - I am running the Sirius flavor.

Randy

That sucks... I was thinking the rebooting was only happening with dual core processors.

If I were you I think I would try completely uninstalling 1.6... even removing the program folder manually from wherever you installed it (this is left behind when you uninstall the program through add/remove programs). Maybe you can find out if there is anything in the registry that can be removed as well... and then I would reboot, and then reinstall version 1.4.

Version 1.4 used to work well for me on my old single core processor desktop.

Hope this helps.

PS - I am running Sirius also

PhuckNut said:
Your comments are valid and correct :)

Yes, this would disable XP from using or seeing the second CPU (wether virtual with hyperthreading or physical with dual core).

Well... in that thread it was recommended that you create a dual boot option kinda menu prompt - so that when you wanted to run TT you use the single cpu option and when you weren't (or willing to risk the havoc of reboots and blue screens) you would choose the other.

This suggestion, although not directly suggested by the TT support staff but commented on as being a valid option further proved to me, that someone just doesn't get it. The TT app is running ALL DAY - ALL NIGHT, maybe even all week. And this why Memory management and threads is so very important. More important that some simple app thats gonna run and the go away.

Thanks for this tip... it solved my problem!

But it sucks having to disable one of my cores just to run Timetrax. Hopefully we'll have a new version soon that doesn't crash dual core machines.

I would list memory management and process management as the two core issues that we are working on. I am hopeful that these issues should be overcome in future releases. We will probably be looking for customers with dual core systems to test future beta releases. We'll put the word out when we are ready.

David K.
Time Trax

I've contacted TT Tech support two times on this issue. The program always locks up after a few hours of use on my hyper-threaded system. Their solution is to disable hyper-threading on my $1200 P4 chip. Unsatisfactory answer. At this point TT is no longer useable on my system.
Does anyone have an older version of TT? The old program didn't have all the bells and whistles but was "rock solid" on my system for weeks at a time. TT has taken a MAJOR step backwards. You can PM me at mccormick_mack AT hotmail.com

I totally understand - I'm sorry that you're having troubles.

Please send me your ticket numbers and I will review them and then arrange to get you whichever earlier version you would like to run while we work on the multi-processor/dual core issues.

David K.
Time Trax

Does that also apply for the others, like me, that have been having problems with dual core chips?

Brian

Sweet! Any news on the version that allows hyperthreading *and* TT to run without barfing?

As you can see my post has been here for a while and I have not heard from anyone from TT yet. There are many of us who are waiting on some type of beta or patch.

Brian

Hi Brian,

It is being worked on and when it is ready for public beta it will be released via our website and this forum.

Derek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)