Vacation Home Self-Install

scarhill

Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
We have a vacation home in Maine that's in use about 4 months a year. In order to only pay for the months we're there, I'd like to buy my own equipment and then activate with no contract, as described in this post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/316330-I-m-considering-Flex-TV?p=3225157#post3225157
I'm fairly handy and technical, so I'm thinking I can manage a self-install, but I have a few questions:
  • Only, a single TV, and don't really need DVR, so I'm planning on buying a 211K receiver and 1000.4 Eastern Arc Dish/LNB. Does that sound like the right equipment choice?
  • Any recommendations for an equipment supplier? I know Satelliteguys used to have some recommended retailers, but I don't see any listed (or perhaps I'm missing them).
  • Besides dish, receiver and cable, what other supplies do I need? Any recommendation on installation guides would be appreciated as well.
  • I'm not currently a Dish customer at my home address, but it's possible I might want to be in the future. If I sign up for service at the vacation home (which will be billed to my home address) will I lose eligibility for promotions if I want to get service at home? If so, what's the best to keep it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you will ONLY be watching at the vacation home those months, (No one watching at your residence) do the self install.
1. If you have a Hopper system at home, buy the 211K and use it at the vacation home. If you want the locals in Maine you can call DISH and tell them you are at your vacation home and to switch your location. You can switch back when you get home.
Just one word of caution - if you are grandfathered for anything it is possible though not certain you could lose it in the process.

2. If you have VIP receivers at home, take one with you to the vacation home.

Otherwise, your idea to get the pay as you go set up would work, just cost you more.

If you will ONLY be watching at the vacation home those months, (No one watching at your residence) do the self install.
1. If you have a Hopper system at home, buy the 211K and use it at the vacation home. If you want the locals in Maine you can call DISH and tell them you are at your vacation home and to switch your location. You can switch back when you get home.
Just one word of caution - if you are grandfathered for anything it is possible though not certain you could lose it in the process.

2. If you have VIP receivers at home, take one with you to the vacation home.

Otherwise, your idea to get the pay as you go set up would work, just cost you more.

They said they're not currently Dish subscribers.

Self install with 211 and 1000.4 eastern arc dish is they way I would go. You can pay a 1 time $40 fee and add your own external usb drive to the 211 to make it a dvr with no other dvr fees afterwards, if you felt the need for a dvr later.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I would suggest the 1000.2 Eastern Arc dish instead of the 1000.4 for self install. Finding 2 satellites is easier than finding 3 and unless your locals are on 77 or you want Spanish programming you will not need 77.

CAN you activate your own equipment with no contract? as far as I know you would still pay monthly....might almost be easier just to get a tailgater.

CAN you activate your own equipment with no contract? as far as I know you would still pay monthly....might almost be easier just to get a tailgater.

According to DIRT:
There are 2 options for those that do not want to have a contract. 1. FlexTV. FlexTV has a $199 activation fee. Receivers have to be purchased $49-$349 and dish/retailer installed 2. Activation. Activation has a $0 activation fee. You must own your receivers and dish will not do the install although you may find a retailer that will. Both of these are pay in advance accounts.

Option 2 is the one I'm planning to use.

Given that I'm not a Dish customer at home, how would a Tailgater help?

I think the Tailgater only works on the western arc. The Pathway works on either arc. The portables are fine for people moving about to different locales. For a fixed location I'd go with a fixed Dish antenna for the arc desired. Signal strengths will be better. I'm not even sure a Tailgater will see 129W in all of Maine since the elevation will be so low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)