Vacation Home Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I bet you get refused in peoples homes also when you pull that type of crap.

Your job is to INSTALL, not AUDIT .... of course if your a D* auditor then you've been telling stories all along.

Jimbo,

If a tech comes to your house to do an upgrade, he has to make sure the system is all up to code and spec. We have to check all components of the system to make sure they are working before we leave. So yes I would have to check all other equipment even if it was not something I had to work on.

If I find that a customer does not have all receivers listed on the account I have to tell them what IS there. We can only verify what is on site. If receivers that are listed as active are not there we have to report it, otherwise I can be held resposible for it.

Let's say I go out to a customer that has 4 std receivers listed on the account. They want to upgrade of of those receivers to a DVR. I have to add a line to the system, so that would require the use of a muti switch. If I get there and they only have 2 of the receivers at the location, I would not need to use the mutiswitch. I have to call in and have the switch removed. They are going to ask me why I don't need the switch when a system requires it.

It's not like I am out looking to get customers in trouble. I am just trying to cover my own butt. The satco's charge back for anything they can. I have to try and protect my pocket book.

Jimbo you have over 20,000 posts so I humble myself to your knowledge of satellites.
However like so many Directv customers you must not be aware that if I come to your house to do anything I'm responseable for the whole system for 90 days. Even if it's a receiver or cable I never touched! There's no advantage for us to narc you out to Directv and personally I couldn't care less if you had 5 receivers on your account and 4 are rented out to the local bars. We are required to bring the whole system up to code and the only way to do that is to have access to the entire system.

Does that include an installer cutting the grounds off my recvrs plugs ?
This is what happened the last time I let an installer work on my SYSTEM.

You can work outside all you want, I'll do my own work inside, MOST installers are happy to see the work being done for them.

I do my own set ups, normally they don't even send an installer out, they'll mail the recvr to me and I'll take care of it.

Jimbo,

If a tech comes to your house to do an upgrade, he has to make sure the system is all up to code and spec. We have to check all components of the system to make sure they are working before we leave. So yes I would have to check all other equipment even if it was not something I had to work on.

If I find that a customer does not have all receivers listed on the account I have to tell them what IS there. We can only verify what is on site. If receivers that are listed as active are not there we have to report it, otherwise I can be held resposible for it.

Let's say I go out to a customer that has 4 std receivers listed on the account. They want to upgrade of of those receivers to a DVR. I have to add a line to the system, so that would require the use of a muti switch. If I get there and they only have 2 of the receivers at the location, I would not need to use the mutiswitch. I have to call in and have the switch removed. They are going to ask me why I don't need the switch when a system requires it.

It's not like I am out looking to get customers in trouble. I am just trying to cover my own butt. The satco's charge back for anything they can. I have to try and protect my pocket book.

You said just the opposite a few posts back, you were OUT to report a sub if the recvr wasn't there.

fwiw, you won't find my second HR DVR on site, it's in the camper 90 % of the time.
IF you were to look at my account, which you can't do with out my approval I HOPE, you would see that I have that recvr listed as that way, so they would have no question as to where it is.

It's really quite simple, it's not on site, of course you already know that because you've looked at my account info.
It could be here 1 day and not the next.

It's called doing my job. If I am changing the system I have to make sure all IRD's are working before I leave. You bet I am gonna want to look at those other IRD's.

The installer who came to upgrade me to a DVR asked how I was running more than 4 ird's off one dish without a multi-switch, until I showed him the 2nd dish on the back of my house, lol. He didn't ask to see the actual receivers though, seeing the 2nd dish was good enough. Every other installer who has come by over the years didn't give a crap, just did what they were supposed to do and left.

As to vacation homes and such, back when I had a camper I always took a IRD and portable dish with me the 2-3 times a year I went camping, not worth the cost of a 2nd account, just my 2 cents.

The installer who came to upgrade me to a DVR asked how I was running more than 4 ird's off one dish without a multi-switch, until I showed him the 2nd dish on the back of my house, lol. He didn't ask to see the actual receivers though, seeing the 2nd dish was good enough. Every other installer who has come by over the years didn't give a crap, just did what they were supposed to do and left.

As to vacation homes and such, back when I had a camper I always took a IRD and portable dish with me the 2-3 times a year I went camping, not worth the cost of a 2nd account, just my 2 cents.

How far in South Texas are you ?

I just got back from Brownsville myself !

You said just the opposite a few posts back, you were OUT to report a sub if the recvr wasn't there.

fwiw, you won't find my second HR DVR on site, it's in the camper 90 % of the time.
IF you were to look at my account, which you can't do with out my approval I HOPE, you would see that I have that recvr listed as that way, so they would have no question as to where it is.

It's really quite simple, it's not on site, of course you already know that because you've looked at my account info.
It could be here 1 day and not the next.

No what I said was it is my job to report it if I find it.

You have to understand the demands that are being put on the installer now. The satco's are looking for money any place they can find it. If they can find a reason to take it from me they will. If they find out you are splitting an acoount they are going to want more money for a second account.

I didn't read all the posts in this thread but I believe I have the answer as of a few years ago.

I have maintained a Direct TV account for years. I am granfathered into the old policy of 2nd home usage which then allowed you to have a receiver at a 2nd home as long as the service was the same, so in my case it meant no locals at the 2nd home.

But that policy had changed a few years back when I sought to get an option that included locals. Then to be in compliance you could have a receiver at a 2nd home but the service is switched off when you aren't there. Then when you are going to spend time at the 2nd home they turn off your service at home and effectively transfer it to the 2nd home. The only advantage is not having to lug the receiver back & forth. You probably also get the locals for the 2nd home, I think.

Now it could be that policy has also changed since. But as others have said if it's a week or so and you don't mind lugging a receiver around no big deal I suppose. Just keep the phone line unused. I can't speak to newer Direct TV dvr units.

Now for me, I fly and the receiver used to go through security no problem before 9/11 and before baggage checking fees. But for me today lugging the receiver back & forth would be undesirable. I'm not sure if it would trigger a TSA visual inspection or not but I know every time I've checked a bag with certain items (such as a newly purchased sealed in box lamp with a florescent bulb) I get one of those TSA "we were here" cards in the bag. :)

I wouldn't want to try to bring one carry on today when even a ham sandwich would be confiscated and discarded as potentially dangerous. :D

can anyone else confirm

I have read other posts where they have the internet connected for quite some time with no issues. I'd link to them, but I'm not sure where they were!

I have read other posts where they have the internet connected for quite some time with no issues. I'd link to them, but I'm not sure where they were!

My buddy "moved" months ago. His receiver is still connected to the internet, just not the phone line. No issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts