Vacation home service

In today's world I would recommend Amazon Fire TV using either Dish anywhere or Slingbox App ,or even better, using both Dish anywhere and Slingbox allowing up to two people to stream from your main home's dish system Without having to move anything. Dish Anywhere and Slingbox can stream in high-definition stereo sound and although both can use up to 8Mbps upstream and downstream, a stream using as slow speed as say 3 Mbps can still result in a more than adequate picture quality. I recommend using the Amazon Fire TV for these apps because this is the best way to view the content on a traditional large HDTV without any fuss arm us since both the Dish Anywhere and Slingbox app are free on the Fire TV you just connect the Fire TV directly to the television and you will have great picture quality from either Dish anywhere or Slingbox.

If there is ever a need for more viewers then additional viewers can simply use their dish credentials to log on to whatever channel has their programming. so if the kids want to watch Disney Channel they simply download the app on their mobile device or PC or even the Fire TV or Roku and log on to that channel using their dish ID and password and now they can watch Disney Channel live or watch video on demand from the Disney Channel VOD Library. this would be the same if someone wanted to watch say History Channel or Discovery Channel, but not all channels provide live feed of programming for example however many channels have a large selection of VOD including the most recently broadcast episodes of Series in as little as 1 or 2 days after first broadcast. So today unless someone doesn't have any internet, I really don't see the need to move boxes around etcetera.

I would also like to add that while moving a DVR box is not a big deal for some and not a big deal for me it is a big deal for quite a lot of people and we have to remember we are a group of power uses and the vast majority are not. I know many in my family especially my brother who are completely put off by the idea of unconnecting a box sticking it in the car truck going to a remote location and plugging it back in. for some are truly intimidated by doing this by not being a techie person, while others find the solution of disconnecting a box transporting a reconnecting it to be an utterly inelegant solution in this modern era and they find it a pain.

the advantages are that using Dish Anywhere does not prevent others from watching at the very same box at the main house, while Slingbox will take over that box functioning as if you were at home, so others cannot use that same box while you're streaming (both Dish Anywhere and Slingbox only allow one user streaming at any one time) but anyone else at the main house could still watch programming using other boxes-- and again the use of Dish Anywhere does not prevent anyone from using that very same box at your main home. using both Dish Anywhere and a Slingbox at the vacation home will allow up to two streams simultaneously to view on two separate TVs, while other people can just simply sign on to particular channels using the internet. in this scenario everything stays where it is and there's nothing to do or move except go to the vacation home launch Dish anywhere or Slingbox or launch a particular channel app such as HBO Go, Disney, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Etc

The best of luck in whatever solution you employ.
That's assuming he has adequate internet at the vacation home.

Since 2006 I have been moving my DVRs around in my RV as I live in full-time. Someday there may been a time that moving the DVR will hurt the disk drive but not to date. The DVRs have always been on while traveling,running on Inverters.

Every time I read one of these threads which seem to come up frequently I can not help but think.... You have enough money to buy an entire second home and you are seriously worried about the cost of TV service there. To say nothing of the fact why do you even go to a second house to watch TV. You can do that at home.

Reactions: JSheridan
Alajoe --

My original posting asked the perfectly reasonable question of how to minimize the cost of my TV service because I will only use one receiver at a time. Because I own a vacation home, does that mean I should act irrationally?

As far as my viewing habits, you know nothing about me or what I view on TV, so it seems very presumptuous of you to be judgemental. I see that you have had many 'likes' on this forum, so perhaps I misunderstand you, though I don't see how that is possible since the intent of your post is quite clearly to find fault.

Every time I read one of these threads which seem to come up frequently I can not help but think.... You have enough money to buy an entire second home and you are seriously worried about the cost of TV service there. To say nothing of the fact why do you even go to a second house to watch TV. You can do that at home.

I generally agree with your thoughts. However, we are all different. To some, a vacation home may just mean changing recliners.

I hear you, and you're correct. an Investment about little more money solves the problem. yeah, just get a second account and then pause one of the accounts when you're not at that location. I presume they still allow pausing an account for something like $5 a month. that would probably be the best way to go and just invest in a system at The Vacation house and when you're not using it at The Vacation house and then pause it when you're not using it at the main house. Done!

Maybe one of the reasons the OP can afford a vacation home is because he's been financially responsible enough to not pay for duplicate services when they're not necessary. Dish has a means in place that accommodates dual residence situations like this, and there's no reason the OP shouldn't take advantage of that. I have Dish service in two different "residences" on one account, although one of them does move around the country regularly, and Dish has no problem with that at all, even designating my account a "Dish Outdoors" account to make my locals changes a simple few taps on a phone app.

I hear you, and you're correct. an Investment about little more money solves the problem. yeah, just get a second account and then pause one of the accounts when you're not at that location. I presume they still allow pausing an account for something like $5 a month. that would probably be the best way to go and just invest in a system at The Vacation house and when you're not using it at The Vacation house and then pause it when you're not using it at the main house. Done!
By using two receivers on the same account, as I mentioned earlier, it makes it easier to transfer recordings back-and-forth between the two locations by using an external hard drive. With two separate accounts, that would not be an option.

If the only thing you are bringing with you to your vacation home is a single receiver I guess it isn't a pain, but that is not reality. I have a vacation home and go back and forth in the summer quite a bit. There is a bunch of stuff that we have to transport (especially with kids). Adding a dish receiver to the list is not acceptable to me. As a result, I just have two separate accounts and cut my service down to basically nothing in the months that we aren't using the vacation home.

Reactions: osu1991
If the only thing you are bringing with you to your vacation home is a single receiver I guess it isn't a pain, but that is not reality. I have a vacation home and go back and forth in the summer quite a bit. There is a bunch of stuff that we have to transport (especially with kids). Adding a dish receiver to the list is not acceptable to me. As a result, I just have two separate accounts and cut my service down to basically nothing in the months that we aren't using the vacation home.

You could have registered both receivers on your home account, and then used one of them at the vacation home. You could even deactivate either one as needed to save the extra receiver fee for the one you're not using at the time.

Reactions: pattykay
You could have registered both receivers on your home account, and then used one of them at the vacation home. You could even deactivate either one as needed to save the extra receiver fee for the one you're not using at the time.

In fact that might be the ultimate way to avoid any perception of using your equipment at two locations at the same time without the need to bring a receiver back and forth. It works if he owns both receivers.

I prefer to call to reactivate/deactivate receivers, but of course everyone has their own preference.
I did all my recent vacation home work with the on-line chat. I was able to add the two ViP 211s and remove the 722k without any issues. And you can get a transcript of the transaction emailed to you for future reference! That's a big win in my book.

I hope you guys didn't scare off Creek Dweller, his last post sounded rather frustrated.

Reactions: pattykay
I did all my recent vacation home work with the on-line chat. I was able to add the two ViP 211s and remove the 722k without any issues. And you can get a transcript of the transaction emailed to you for future reference! That's a big win in my book.

I hope you guys didn't scare off Creek Dweller, his last post sounded rather frustrated.
The last I heard from Creek Dweller was in a private conversation when he let me know that he received the ViP722k I sent him, and he was planning to schedule the installation.

Reactions: osu1991
The last I heard from Creek Dweller was in a private conversation when he let me know that he received the ViP722k I sent him, and he was planning to schedule the installation.
I guess he may not need mine, then.