Vacation Home

grcarlson

Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I have just retired and want to be spending more time at my vacation home. It probably will be about 30% there and the rest of the time at home. Does Dish have a deal that allows you to turn off service when you are not home for a few weeks? Is it easy enough to move the Dish and equipment back and forth. I have installed my own Dish and equipment in the past and had it work so I think I could do this. Can one have a second receiver installed in the "back room", move it "temporarily" to the 2nd home and "accidently" leave it there? (I assume this is not allowed by Dish if they find out about it.)

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Grcarlson

I'd just put in a new dish at the vacation home and not worry with setting it up everytime. Technically they would want you to get a seperate account, and then put your account on "pause" or dish pause or something like that.. YOu can put your account on pause or seasonal downgrade for 5-10 bucks and then turn on the other one. Then do the same when you go back home.

A lot of people just take an additional receiver to the vacation home when they are there. That would be the easiest solution. That generally leads to many ethical concerns and debates by many posters. The term for that is "account stacking." Dish frowns upon this practice. In some cases its downright stealing.. in your case.. more of a debate.

Accidentally leaving it there and then getting a call from the audit department (the people who check for account stacking) would put an end to things. If i were going to leave it, i'd probably get another account.

From Dish Retailer Chat in Jan. 2006:
Official Dish policy on Second Location/vacation homes from last weeks retailer chat.
· Second location/vacation homes policy
>Customers who have a Vacation Home or Second Fixed Location
can set up an account to receive DISH Network services
>Customers will NOT be allowed to share receivers between their primary residence and any other fixed location on a single account
>The customer will be required to create a separate account for the Second Fixed location/Vacation Home. This account will be allowed unlimited seasonal downgrades or service on this account

I fail to see why someone couldn't just change their address and phone number twice a year at zero cost, without violating The Rules. I doubt that Dish would care as long as you don't have people at both houses watching programming simultaneously.

I fail to see why someone couldn't just change their address and phone number twice a year at zero cost, without violating The Rules. I doubt that Dish would care as long as you don't have people at both houses watching programming simultaneously.

I am guessing the OP goes back & forth several times a year, but if they are the only ones using the service, no harm no foul.

It is no differnt than a family jumping into a motorhome & touring the country, they are the only people using the service.

If Dish dosen't like it then Dish is encouraging people to go to the dark side.

What is in E*'s best intreast, pay for service or steal it?

I have just retired and want to be spending more time at my vacation home. It probably will be about 30% there and the rest of the time at home. Does Dish have a deal that allows you to turn off service when you are not home for a few weeks? Is it easy enough to move the Dish and equipment back and forth. I have installed my own Dish and equipment in the past and had it work so I think I could do this. Can one have a second receiver installed in the "back room", move it "temporarily" to the 2nd home and "accidently" leave it there? (I assume this is not allowed by Dish if they find out about it.)

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Grcarlson

It is easier to install a second dish antenna at the second home and just carry the reciever back and forth. I am retired and reside 6 months in NY state and 6 months in Florida. I have satellite dishs installed in each location and just carry my 2 recievers back and forth.

I have a vacation home with a dish that was installed by DISH. I have one STB that I leave there. DISH told me that as long as I don't use the STBs (at the different locations) simultaneously they would keep me on one account. I've had it like this for two years and assume it's their policy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)