ValueElectronics Thumbs up... Job Well done

Status
Please reply by conversation.
vurbano said:
Sean We await your PQ observations between services.

Here's my short version of it without getting too much into details. If it was possible to get a coin with three sides and each one identifies D*, V* and E*, flip it and whatever the outcome that will be it for the best PQ. I mean that the plain field as far as PQ is concerned is very level in all three. All have bad and all have good with variations here and there. But in the grand scheme of things all of them are at the same level and all of them are experiencing the same problems. It may not be in the same channels but when you look around, you find one channel that you are not happy with the PQ in any of them.

Given this, do not decide on just PQ but other factors if you are trying to choose between E* or D*.

Sean,

Your experience convinced me to cancel my Dish installation next week. I called Value and am set up for installation next week maybe by the same guy who did yours. I am much happier to be dealing with a real person rather than just a voice at the other end of the line.

I was also swayed by the major locals being available now in HD which we did not have with Voom.

Sean Mota said:
I wish they had a way to identify which English channels are not part of PARATODOS or better yet if they had a separate spanish package (aka, E*). I will have to go through the list and find out which English channels I will be missing if I decide to go with the PARATODOS package.
Here is the list of english channels you drop from Total Choice Plus going to Para Todos Ultra Especial:

History International
Espn Classic
BBC America
Discovery Health
Fox Movie Channel
Fuse
G4
Great American Country
Lifetime Movie Network
TV One
WGN
and if you are in the region that gets it - Turner South

You also give up those wonderful "MIX" channels. :rolleyes:

dlm10541 said:
Sean,

Your experience convinced me to cancel my Dish installation next week. I called Value and am set up for installation next week maybe by the same guy who did yours. I am much happier to be dealing with a real person rather than just a voice at the other end of the line.

I was also swayed by the major locals being available now in HD which we did not have with Voom.

You will love the HDTivo. Get one it is a MUST. The PG (program Guide) is slow but as not bad as I have heard in the past. Right now, the HDTivo is a big difference to me because I can hardly watch LIVE TV anymore. I am going to be very busy from now til the fall. The HDTIVO has not missed one piece of recording and so far it has been very reliable. Once you get it, read the manual and start playing with it. After you get used to it, you won't want to go back to LIVE TV. The SEASON PASS is by far one of the best features of the HDTIVO.

Sean Mota said:
The PG (program Guide) is slow but as not bad as I have heard in the past.

Sean, if you haven't tried it yet change from the DirecTV grid to the Tivo guide (in the guide hit info button on the remote then scroll down to guide style and change it). It's much faster the the D* guide format and you might even like it better.

I have seen it but I have to change it. As I say I do not have a problem with the Grid PG. I like it.

Sean Mota said:
Here's my short version of it without getting too much into details. If it was possible to get a coin with three sides and each one identifies D*, V* and E*, flip it and whatever the outcome that will be it for the best PQ. I mean that the plain field as far as PQ is concerned is very level in all three. All have bad and all have good with variations here and there. But in the grand scheme of things all of them are at the same level and all of them are experiencing the same problems. It may not be in the same channels but when you look around, you find one channel that you are not happy with the PQ in any of them.

Given this, do not decide on just PQ but other factors if you are trying to choose between E* or D*.

Excellent politically correct analysis.

vurbano said:
Excellent politically correct analysis.

Not trying to be politically correct because I am speaking in a D* forum but since now I have all three DBS providers in the market, I can tell you that to my naked eyes all three are at the same level of PQ. Last night NBC via D* sat had lots of pixelation problems with "Revelations". The problems occured during the thunderstorm. I read that others on Cable and OTA had the same problem. I wanted to record it OTA but I recorded the incorrect channel instead. Next time I will record the OTA feed and see if I see the same.

Nobody on the E* ( side) reports their PQ but there is also pixelation on TNTHD during basketball games. It is not perfect there either. We can go on and on about describing each channel and we all comeback to the conclusion - "they are all at the same level field".

I watched HDnet on both D* and E* for the past two days. According to others D* is downresizing HDnet to 1280x1080i while E* is keeping 1920x1080i (as far as we know, yet). I recorded HDnet on D* and kept watching E* and making the comparison (without any methods involved, just simple eye comparison). To my naked eye I could not see the loss of horizontal resolution. The details were there for both. I am sure someone with the technical equipment and knowledge will be able to proof the difference between the two and how much we are missing. But to my Tv which has a native resolution of 1280x768p (LCD) and 1280x720p (DLP), there was no meaningful difference that I could see.

It is my personal beleive that all DBS providers will move or have moved in that direction because of the bandwith constraint that they are experiencing now (who knows down the road what they are going to do). We all can scream about it but we as consumers are screwed since we do not contract the bandwith or the resolution. We contract the amount of channels (not even the quality!) and we all seem to be happy with it (which send the wrong message to the DBS providers).

So until there is another provider who makes quality (and not quantity) their priority, we always be screwed from all three DBS providers (soon to be two). When the new TVs (1080p) start selling, I know now that I will not be the fool to jump into buying them and expect that my PQ will be better with any DBS provider (unless there is a change in their policies). It will be dissapointing to say the least. As the old saying says, "garbage in garbage out".

Our salvation (PQ), at least for movies, will be HD DVD. There we will get the max bitrate and max resolution (hopefully, unless Hollywood wants to screw us also). That's where my hope is put at this point.

See I did not want to give you the long answer.... :)

Sean I was most interested in the PQ of HDnetmovies on D* vs E*. Many at AVS say its no better than superbit DVD quality. According to cheezmo's website it suffers the most. Of course, on a 1080i monitor I think things are worse.

vurbano said:
Sean I was most interested in the PQ of HDnetmovies on D* vs E*. Many at AVS say its no better than DVD quality. According to cheezmo's website it suffers the most.

I havent done that yet. I will stop at HDnet movies when I find something interested to watch. I have yet to see something I like on HDnet movies. I will give you the same naked eyes comparison. I think Carrie, the movie, is playing on HDnet movies. It is a movie that was also played on VOOM and I remember how it looked on VOOM. I will make my comparison based on that one.

Also Sean, what size screen are you viewing on? With my pj at 110", the PQ difference between Voom and Dish is quite apparent on the same channels.

I was able to resolve my audio drops that I mentioned before in this thread. It turns out to be a faulty optical cable that I was using.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)