VantageHD: Where to buy, analog outputs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gdavisloop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Hello,
I was wondering if there was any place in the U.S. to buy the Vantage HD1100S other than Rick's...

Also, has anyone used the analog, SD outputs on this unit for HD signals?
Any problems doing this? Clearly, the Coolsat has analog interference on the analogs when DVB-S2 is received, the Pansat doesn't downconvert 720p correctly (you get only 240p not 480i at the output), and I've heard the AZbox has a vastly wrong black level.

Anything about the analog outputs on the Vantage? Also, does it have a simple RCA composite output, an S-Video output, or neither (ie is only the Scart the only standard-def output)? And if Scart, can you get S-Video out of the Scart with the proper adaptor?

Thanks!
--Gary

Hello,
I was wondering if there was any place in the U.S. to buy the Vantage HD1100S other than Rick's...

Not that I know of. Rick is the only game in town, so to speak.

Any problems doing this? Clearly, the Coolsat has analog interference on the analogs when DVB-S2 is received, the Pansat doesn't downconvert 720p correctly (you get only 240p not 480i at the output), and I've heard the AZbox has a vastly wrong black level.

I JUST started using the SD outputs to a CRT TV, but I am using the SCART adaptor that Rick provided with the receiver. it has a S-video out, but I do not know if its active. You mentioning the 240p issue got me to thinking, I was watching LPB on amc 21 last night and the picture was letterboxed but seemed like it was shifted high on the screen. So it may indeed have the issue of which you speak.

Anything about the analog outputs on the Vantage? Also, does it have a simple RCA composite output, an S-Video output, or neither (ie is only the Scart the only standard-def output)? And if Scart, can you get S-Video out of the Scart with the proper adaptor?

Thanks!
--Gary

Looks like to me to get analog SCART is your only choice, unless you use component. I was floored to see the TV I have now has a component input, I didn't think any tube-type 4:3 TV had it....but this one does...

As an aside, and this is NOT an indictment, JUST an observation...if you aren't happy with the PQ of the Azbox, FTA might not be for you....my Azbox has the best PQ of all the receivers I have on average. :D

Good luck on your decision Gary, my opinion of the Vantage isn't very high, its slow, clunky, hard to use, its slow, has confusing menus, its slow, channel changing speed is positively glacial, its slow, most of the newer firmwares break the AC3 for us in the US, its slow...get the idea?

Vantage seems not to care about our market, I know it isn't the biggest in the world, but come on, if it couldn't blind scan S2 it'd be gone from my cabinet in a Louisiana second.

Keith

Hello,

Thanks!
--Gary
1. Rick's is the only place that I've found.

2. I just attached to the s-video jack on the SCART adaptor, and it looked terrible, so I went into video settings and selected s-video instead of YPBR, and it looks just fine. Clearly component output and s-video out are mutually exclusive. I don't have any problem with the AZbox black level, so I must be watching the wrong stuff, or maybe I'm just not that picky ( probably both... :) ).

3. Rick shipped a SCART adaptor with each Vantage when I bought mine, I'd guess he still does.

My advice is NOT to get a Vantage except for the purpose of blindscanning DVB-S2 feeds. The AZbox is a much more satisfying receiver. If perfection is your desire, my advice is not to buy anything. I rank my HD receivers:
1. Azbox
2. CS8000
3. Vantage 1100S

:)

To me, the Vantage 1100s is not a receiver, it's more like a tool - a Blind Scanner.
It's on the same level as my Telemann Sat Meter, which I love.

I'm just looking to get NBC and ABC without problems.
I guess you guys are saying, if I don't like the four HD-FTA receivers I already have, I won't like the Vantage much either ;-)
-thanks
--Gary

I've tried a few Pansat 9200HD's, they have very unreliable reception on DVB-S2 channels (strobing, flashback, etc) and don't downconvert 720p correctly (ABC, NASA). Coolsat 8000 has analog interference on the analog outputs when getting DVB-S2, but it works well for NASA-HD (it does 720P correctly). Viewsat 9000 doesn't seem to get DVB-S2 at all. --Gary

You miss the point completely. My TVs have 6 HDMI inputs. If I wanted to know which receiver sucks the least on HDMI, I would have asked that. (And the answer still wouldn't have been Pansat).

For the record, I use standard-def outputs so I can record to hard disk/DVD recorders.

Yes, I know some satellite receivers claim to have a PVR function if you connect a hard disk. That works about as well as everything else on the Pansat (barely), but it leaves you with H.264 files in DR.DOS2 format, which is useful for ... ??

--Gary

Gary,
I wish you'd made this point earlier. :)

For my recordings , I use the s-video out of the AZbox to a PC based PVR, Plextor TV 402U .
The usb based critter packs away the file in a number of formats, but I generally use mpeg4 , AVI files for their size advantage.

The recording look pretty good. Of course, as earlier stated, I'm really not picky !
:)

I'm sorry, but this really seems typical of the people who are always justifying equipment that doesn't work, instead of complaining. I clearly said I was interested in the analog outputs, and two people told me to "buy a new TV."

But thanks for the overall information, which seems to be, even though the Vantage might get NBC and ABC correctly, I'll probably be unhappy with it. (BTW, does the Vantage do 4:2:2??)

Of course I have looked at the AZBox, but in addition to the analog video being wrong, I've heard that the analog audio outputs are unreliable.

--Gary

"I'm sorry, but this really seems typical of the people who are always justifying equipment that doesn't work, instead of complaining."
Now THAT pisses me off !!! I'm starting to think you are a perfectionist JERK . No receiver works perfectly. The more features they claim, the more likely it is that more fault can be found with their performance. I think that YOU, Gary, need to get a grip on reality, and realize that these relatively cheaply made boxes are not going to give you laboratory quality results.
I'm done talking with you !
( No smiley face this time )

Sorry Brentb, I realized after posting that, that people were going to get pissed at me.
But honestly, I don't see how anyone could be satisfied with the DVB-S2 receivers I've tried. I'd just like them to work, and frankly, WORK is what they don't do. The list of problems is so long that every time I try to write it up, I get bogged down in the proof-reading, but some day I will post that list here, and you can all laugh or cry as you see fit.

Here's a good example of one of the Pansat's many reception problems, regardless of what kind of TV you use: While watching DVB-S2 channels, the video will suddenly "jump back" to some frames from 10-30 seconds earlier in the program. I posted this example on YouTube:

This problem only happens about 10-50 times a night on NBC/E/Ku.

By contrast, NBC/E/C-band didn't have smooth motion at all when I last checked it two weeks ago. Perhaps it's different today, but when I last checked it, instead of the frames updating like 1 2 3 4 5 6 (each frame being played once), that I was actually getting:
1 2 2 2 3 4 4 4 5 6 6 6 7 8 8 8 etc.
or maybe you would say
1 2 2 2 5 6 6 6 9 10 10 10 since it was actually skipping frames 3,4,7,8 etc.

Here's all I want in a satellite receiver, maybe this is too much:
HD channels downconverted to 720x480 correctly, with smooth motion, every frame displayed the correct amount of time, the audio in sync, and for the channel to change correctly the first time (maybe the second time) without a lot of "fiddling."

If that's too much to ask, then you can call me a perfectionist, but I think this is what everyone expects from a regular TV; why shouldn't we get it from a properly designed FTA receiver?

--Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
I record to hard disk and all recording are flawless playback is another issue becasue s2 is procesor demanding even a high en system like latest nvidia core 2 quad may have breakups

I clearly said I was interested in the analog outputs, and two people told me to "buy a new TV."
I just think of all the people who could have helped you, but since you did not state your intent in your first post, you only attracted responses from 2 - who are just trying to help, and came to the same conclusion. LOL

I'd start a new post:
Issues recording from my HD FTA Receiver to a stand-alone SD Hard Disk/DVD recorder.

I could have said that, and then we could discuss all kinds of issues about DVD recording. For example, we could talk about the pseudo-Macrovision from the AZbox. But, I just asked if the analog outputs worked correctly, which is a legitimate question.

AZbox and Vantage aren't really designed for the U.S. market, so I could cut them some slack. But Pansat, Coolsat, Viewsat etc. are all California companies, so they have no excuse! All I want out of a $1200 pair of Pansats (you need at least two to get stereo+center on NBC, no?) is for them to work at least as well as a $60 digital TV converter box.

--Gary
P.s. Lak7, if you only use your Vantage for blind-scanning, I'm surprised you can tie-up an HDMI input for that, but perhaps you have a dedicated TV for blind-scanning?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)