Venesat reception reports wanted

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I'm curious to know what your Venesat c-band reception reports are at this time as I have found a change I want to confirm. I'll explain in a day or two after a few reception reports.

Thanks.

What is the satellite position and TP you want us to look at?
SHould have time later this morning if this satellite is within my antenna's view.

Quick scan at 78W shows 3885 V 23000 3/4 with several SD PIDs. 75%Q on the micro, fairly good signal.

Last edited:
No change here. Just the one TP mentioned previously. One intermittent feed not here this evening. But that's hardly a change as, IIRR, its usually there on weekends. (don't check this one that often)

I just googled it and now know that it's Simón Bolívar, last time I checked it was the same I did not scan that bird for a while though.

since it's still receivable outside of the southeast U.S., I'm at a loss for my findings that caused my original posting. I used to get it in the mud when it first went active, then it got really strong when Hugo Chavez started going to Cuba for treatment, making me think the sat was repointed to make it stronger to receive in Cuba so he could watch TV from his country while in Cuba. I looked at Venesat yesterday for the first time since before Christmas and it was back in the mud so I thought it might be that way for others but it's not.

I was hoping to say going back to the mud meant Hugo was dead, but that probably isn't the case. ;) The satellite may be such that the pointing accuracy isn't that great and getting it most of the time while Hugo was in Cuba was just a coincidence.

There may be some Ku spotbeams that could be shifted around but I wouldn't expect the satellite operators to re-orientate the whole spacecraft to change coverage like that... C-band transmit antennae usually have a fairly wide apature and difficult to spotbeam.
Haven't heard much news from Cuba lately wonder how he's doing too...

There may be some Ku spotbeams that could be shifted around but I wouldn't expect the satellite operators to re-orientate the whole spacecraft to change coverage like that... C-band transmit antennae usually have a fairly wide apature and difficult to spotbeam.
Haven't heard much news from Cuba lately wonder how he's doing too...

he's probably gravely ill or dead considering he was in no shape to be able to fly to Venezuela for a swearing in.

As for the satellite, it might be a technical pointing issue where the footprint is drifting. It seems weird that I would get it great whereas upon in-service date it was low signal level and now it's back to low signal level, while in Canada it's still receivable.

What is the satellite position and TP you want us to look at?
SHould have time later this morning if this satellite is within my antenna's view.

Quick scan at 78W shows 3885 V 23000 3/4 with several SD PIDs. 75%Q on the micro, fairly good signal.

My SAMI system with the S9 shows this as 3885 V 23124? And I'm showing only that one TP with 6 channels. Signal strength is 87% and Q is 71% and that's with "some" snow still on the dish.

It may be as simple as the uplink increasing power to enlarge the footprint. Seems reasonable to suggest that this may coincide with Chavez trips to the edge of the footprint. His staff probably makes a call and the power is turned up. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...

When folks with power and money want something, they usually get it. Remember several years ago working on pre-season Blazer Basketball TV broadcasts where an entire production team would produce complete shows only for uplinking for Paul Allen and guests to watch on his yacht while he cruised outside the US. :D

Just fired up the 10ft Winegard with the S9 and got 6 TPs and 23 channels but found that many of them were duplicate programs just on different TPs under different names? There was a baseball game on one though but it is in Spanish. The big dish got 75% Q on 3885.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts