Venturing into 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well here is something weird...

Have X4 working fine...set to 90 rotated LNBF....Decided to tune the big dish over to T5 for Nebraska PBS...Tuned it in the FTA box fine (BYU TV) but couldn't get Nebraska PBS...then I noticed that the polarity was off. It showed vertical when it should be H. So I changed in the menu to normal and it worked fine...now X4 doesn't work :(

I'm using 2 separate LNBF's...a Dual C-Band and a slaved feed off KU.

So I guess the question is how the heck do I do that? Will I have to change it each time I go to C-Band? If I turn it to 90 rotated then KU is fine but C-Band is off and if I change it to standard then KU is off.

Tony, Options 6-5 will get you to the Trip Counter. It will be at the bottom of the page.
Don't know the answers to your other questions? From Options 6-4-2, do you have #2 LNB Type, set to "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBFs"? Don't know why #4 would be different between C and ku? Maybe you should try it un-slaved, and see what happens?

Al

Have X4 working fine...set to 90 rotated LNBF....Decided to tune the big dish over to T5 for Nebraska PBS...Tuned it in the FTA box fine (BYU TV) but couldn't get Nebraska PBS...then I noticed that the polarity was off. It showed vertical when it should be H. So I changed in the menu to normal and it worked fine...now X4 doesn't work :(.

Not too experienced on your type of setup, but I don't mess with the 'Rotate LNB 90 degrees' option unless I am looking for something on a generics satellite.

So I guess the question is how the heck do I do that? Will I have to change it each time I go to C-Band? If I turn it to 90 rotated then KU is fine but C-Band is off and if I change it to standard then KU is off.

My settings are:
This is on my non-slaved 922

Linear/West (Since I am east of the Mississippi river) - Actuator
C/Ku LNB's - LNB Type
Standard - Feedhorn Polarization

It took me a while to get these settings right, and once I figured it out, it worked, I would definitely try it as a stand alone, rather than slaved. Once you get your maps, K3-640 and Nebraska PBS will show up on T5/T6, if you are ever on G0, go to the Ku side X0-600, 601--these are 2 other 'educational' channels up there that are ITC.

not much of a movie fan.

So now here is something stupid. If I sub to something to get those in U mode and if the subscription gets cacnelled, I assume I lose those chanenls too?

The U mode channels require an active subscription. Just like WGN in Videocipher on G-5. FP channels should still come through. Just get 1 ala-carte on X4 from SRL to keep them active.

I was reading about your polarity problem in the other posts just wondering if your letting the sidecar do it or another receiver? Although I never had a sidecar I remember hearing people having alot of problems having it control the polarity. I would try using another receiver to do that and just connect a DC blocked LNB connection to the sidecar.

Have X4 working fine...set to 90 rotated LNBF....Decided to tune the big dish over to T5 for Nebraska PBS...Tuned it in the FTA box fine (BYU TV) but couldn't get Nebraska PBS...then I noticed that the polarity was off. It showed vertical when it should be H. So I changed in the menu to normal and it worked fine...now X4 doesn't work :(

I have been using a sidecar since 2002.I have been using a 90cm dish lately for X4,I noticed that I have to switch the LNBF setting to rotated 90 deg on the small dish for the 905. Otherwise not all channels come in and it took me a while to figure that out. When I switch over to C band I have to reverse it again. I have tried many LNBF positions playing with this.It seems a small thing and quick to reset it in the menu and works with this method. I notice the trip counter does increase when on X4 with NPS.

Not too experienced on your type of setup, but I don't mess with the 'Rotate LNB 90 degrees' option unless I am looking for something on a generics satellite.
thats the only way KU works on this 905. If I turn it to standard, KU goes bye bye

It took me a while to get these settings right, and once I figured it out, it worked, I would definitely try it as a stand alone, rather than slaved. Once you get your maps, K3-640 and Nebraska PBS will show up on T5/T6, if you are ever on G0, go to the Ku side X0-600, 601--these are 2 other 'educational' channels up there that are ITC.
ok cool. This weekend I will get the maps correctly :)

The U mode channels require an active subscription. Just like WGN in Videocipher on G-5. FP channels should still come through. Just get 1 ala-carte on X4 from SRL to keep them active.
ok cool.
I was reading about your polarity problem in the other posts just wondering if your letting the sidecar do it or another receiver? Although I never had a sidecar I remember hearing people having alot of problems having it control the polarity. I would try using another receiver to do that and just connect a DC blocked LNB connection to the sidecar.

when I say slaved, I mean a line coming directly off the motorized unit. The Coolsat 5000 runs the motor but its a dual LNB so they are independent of each other. I had OETA on K5 last night while I was blind scanning AMC5 with no issues.

I will probably do that later...use a DC block and slave it

I have been using a sidecar since 2002.I have been using a 90cm dish lately for X4,I noticed that I have to switch the LNBF setting to rotated 90 deg on the small dish for the 905. Otherwise not all channels come in and it took me a while to figure that out. When I switch over to C band I have to reverse it again. I have tried many LNBF positions playing with this.It seems a small thing and quick to reset it in the menu and works with this method. I notice the trip counter does increase when on X4 with NPS.

good info to know...Thanks much!

well I tried C-Band and it still doesn't work...moved the big dish to T5 and slaved it....nothing :(

I'm gonna have to download the maps soon

On the plus side, X4 sets the time right...it even set it to the proper time zone :)

I am trying to duplicate the results that Iceberg got when he used his 905 slaved to his Fta STB using Ku only.

My first question is , can I get results with a Universal Linear LNB or does it absolutely positively have to be Standard Linear LNB.

I have not seen an indicator light for DC II light up at all while on 99.0 W or 79.0 W, yes the the 905 sidecar has been used in the past , don't know how many months since they took out of service but I do know they had it for C-band only.

I did setup in options Reverse Polarity as cited by Iceberg for success , getting a channel map means introducing myself to a few neighbors in the area with existing C-band systems or getting my C-band Dish setup , I'd like to see the 905 working for now any suggestions or answers.

I am trying to duplicate the results that Iceberg got when he used his 905 slaved to his Fta STB using Ku only.

My first question is , can I get results with a Universal Linear LNB or does it absolutely positively have to be Standard Linear LNB.
MUST be standard

I have not seen an indicator light for DC II light up at all while on 99.0 W or 79.0 W, yes the the 905 sidecar has been used in the past , don't know how many months since they took out of service but I do know they had it for C-band only.
go to G4 (99W) and bring up X4 in the menus. The 829-850 are audio and should come in. If you can go to X3 640 that is Georgia PBS and will come in. But you need a standard LNB because the box won't work with UNiversal at all.
Have you figured out how to add the satellites? Hit the Sat button and see if X4, K3 or K5 are there. If X4 is there select it (hit OK) and then on the next screen hit exit (if you hit OK it goes into analog mode which is like turning the sat/tv button off)

I did setup in options Reverse Polarity as cited by Iceberg for success , getting a channel map means introducing myself to a few neighbors in the area with existing C-band systems or getting my C-band Dish setup , I'd like to see the 905 working for now any suggestions or answers.
reverse polarity is what you need.

I know mine works on K3, K5 & X4 (87, 79, 99 respectivelly)

To add satellite

options 6-3-4

the key for satellites
W are AMC C-Band side
K are AMC KU side
T are the old IA C Band side
G are Galaxy (the original Galaxy)
X are KU side for Galaxy satellites

Easiest thing I did was K5 is AMC5, W9 is AMC9 and worked my way in order from there
GB is G11 C-Band etc

Swapped out LNB , Eureka ................... I got 2 sats working so far.
What I don't like is the long wait in between channel changes , i'm so used to seeing a channel list and toggling up the list , that is unless I'm missing something ...... well I guess that's what favorites are for .

I did find GPB on 87.0 west but for some reason I could not hold the signal on my 90cm dish , I had 35 - 1quality and I would lose the picture.

The music stations were impressive on 99.0 w. , reminds me of subbed DN or DTV with all the info.
OTEA was also good on 79.0 w.

1 of the Anik birds had my 905 displaying the DC II indicator light but I found nothing.

Swapped the LNB back to the Original.

Last edited:
Swapped out LNB , Eureka ................... I got 2 sats working so far.
What I don't like is the long wait in between channel changes , i'm so used to seeing a channel list and toggling up the list , that is unless I'm missing something ...... well I guess that's what favorites are for .
you would need the EPG which is on G1 TP3 to scroll like that :(

I did find GPB on 87.0 west but for some reason I could not hold the signal on my 90cm dish , I had 35 - 1quality and I would lose the picture.
weird. I can get GPB on the 76cm dish. Try this. On the 4DTV go options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic C. In the right corner there is a + number. Try and bump the dish to get that number higher. 2.8 is minimum for picture. I can get it around 5.0 or so
The music stations were impressive on 99.0 w. , reminds me of subbed DN or DTV with all the info.
OTEA was also good on 79.0 w.
both are good. You should also see Blackbelt TV on 644 X4

1 of the Anik birds had my 905 displaying the DC II indicator light but I found nothing.
you may not want to go to Anik birds on KU since thats StarChocie and it could download the maps for those and screw the box up (so I've heard)

That's exactly correct with the DSR905. It will lock up and need to be unplugged for a few minutes. Best to move the dish back to G1 before restarting. I thought I would try to see what I could find. I used to watch feeds on C band there years ago.

you may not want to go to Anik birds on KU since thats StarChocie and it could download the maps for those and screw the box up (so I've heard)

That's exactly correct with the DSR905. It will lock up and need to be unplugged for a few minutes. Best to move the dish back to G1 before restarting. I thought I would try to see what I could find. I used to watch feeds on C band there years ago.

Good to know .....................
A little too late ....................... but NO , it did not lock up on me and I did try plenty of channels on the Anik Bird , just no video that I saw , well anyways I was trying for some of the channels listed on Lyngsat .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)