Verdict in Samsung infringed on at least 3 Apple patents

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...9810658082898.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

The jury found that Samsung smartphones and devices infringed on at least three Apple patents, including patents relating to touch-screen screen features such as multitouch gestures and zooming. The verdict was still being read as of 6:45 p.m. ET.

The jury informed Judge Lucy Koh Friday afternoon that it had reached a verdict after about 22 hours of deliberation spanning three days—a quick decision for such a complex case.

Maybe now they can agree to a cross licensing pact...

Another update

The nine-person jury found that several Samsung phones and tablets infringed on Apple patents relating to touch-screen features, such as multi-touch gestures and zooming. The jury also found Samsung devices infringed on Apple design patents, such as the look of its iPhone icons.

The jury upheld the validity of all seven patents that Apple had presented in the high-stakes case and found that Samsung willfully infringed five of the seven patents.

Apple awarded $1.05 billion

The jury also found that Apple's iPhone and iPad tablet didn't infringe any of the patents that Samsung had presented in the trial.

I guess now we will find out if the judge is a fanboy... The jury found Samsung willfully infringed on 5 of the Apple patents... Good for triple damages.

I wonder if Samsung will take the $30/phone, $40/tablet cross licensing deal now (Samsung would get a 20% discount to cross license).

From the New York Times

Despite the eye-popping award, the more important long-term effect of the jury’s decision could be the impact it has on Android, the Google operating system used by Samsung and a broad array of other companies in their devices. For every iPhone sold worldwide, more than three smartphones running Android are sold, reflecting the meteoric rise of Google’s software and a potential threat to Apple.

Apple’s suit against Samsung, the largest maker of smartphones in the world, has partly been viewed as a proxy war against Google, which Apple executives have derided as a copycat, swiping Apple’s innovations. Steven P. Jobs, the late chief executive of Apple, told his biographer that Android was a “stolen product.”

The judge in the Samsung case could issue an injunction preventing Samsung from shipping products that infringe on Apple’s patents. The verdict could also bolster Apple’s legal attacks on Android devices from other companies and deter them from incorporating iPhone-like features in their products.

"It’s going to make it very difficult for not only Samsung, but for other companies to mimic the Apple products," said Robert Barr, executive director of the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology at the University of California, Berkeley.

The stakes in the case were enormous, in large part because Apple has become the most valuable public company ever through the blockbuster success of its mobile products.

My hate for them just grew 10 times more. Every single consumer just lost. Including apple fanboys. Just slaughters innovation. Since this crap passed I can't wait for the Google lawsuit against apple over the notifications they ripped off.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I'm thinking I may need to go ahead and order a new phone, before prices skyrocket or things get banned for import.

I do not think that either will happen. But, I do think that Apple and Samsung will come to a cross licensing agreement. They were both far apart in negotiations. As mentioned Apple wanted $30/phone with a discount for cross licensing. Samsung felt the opposite demanding money for the iphone with a cross licensing discount.

I suspect now an agreement will come out with Apple getting a small payment per Samsung phone, less than $30, how much less will be negotiated.

Apologies if this is a duplicate, but this is a link to CNET which has a synopsis on the patent infringements.

Some of them are (IMO) overly broad, like icons with rounded corners. I'm not sure I agree with aspects of the external design, like rounded corners on the phone which has been around for a long, long time as well. I think this is a demonstration of where the patent system is broken more than it's a victory for Apple. As always, I'm not a legal expert nor do I play one on the internet. But that won't stop me from sharing my opinion.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

But Google has no real profit incentive in the Android OS. It's a give-away. Google could lose the entire Android division and the impact on it's overall business would be minimal.

If Google wins and Apple stock declines for a bit, I will use that as opportunity to buy more stock at a momentary discount!

There is no way for the little guy to beat Apple. The only thing bigger than Apple today is the Federal Government and that is only because they can create money and make the rules. But if you and I wish to not lose with Apple, just buy their stock. I first bought in in 2007 and while I never really liked Macs and ipods, certainly not iphones, I had no problem with their business model. It made sense to me. Digiblur- you and I could never be happy with an iphone but I discovered the benefits of the ipad. It's a real smart product that works for a very large segment of the world's population. Same with iphone. Ever since the first ipad, I began trading Apple stock and do extremely well. No hate here! Hate is self destructive. Without Apple, I'd have to go to work every day. Rocky used to hate Apple until he saw the light too. Although he has become a real Apple Product fanboy, the stuff just fits his life better than it does for us. The non fit for my needs of most of their products doesn't prevent me from liking the money they make on their approach with these products. In other words, I may not like the iphone, or a Mac, but I sure do like the money the company makes for me by selling them.

I do not think that either will happen. But, I do think that Apple and Samsung will come to a cross licensing agreement. They were both far apart in negotiations. As mentioned Apple wanted $30/phone with a discount for cross licensing. Samsung felt the opposite demanding money for the iphone with a cross licensing discount.

I suspect now an agreement will come out with Apple getting a small payment per Samsung phone, less than $30, how much less will be negotiated.

Not if Steve were around, but Tim Cook will make a good business deal on this. Should be interesting.

Apologies if this is a duplicate, but this is a link to CNET which has a synopsis on the patent infringements.

Some of them are (IMO) overly broad, like icons with rounded corners. I'm not sure I agree with aspects of the external design, like rounded corners on the phone which has been around for a long, long time as well. I think this is a demonstration of where the patent system is broken more than it's a victory for Apple. As always, I'm not a legal expert nor do I play one on the internet. But that won't stop me from sharing my opinion.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

LOL :D I am a legal expert, but NOT in intellectual property law :) And it too has never stopped me from an opinion. ;)

I get that the Rounded Square icon thing was an iPhone/iPod Touch innovation, but I am surprised Palm or HP never sued Apple for taking the design of the screen - long before there was an iPhone, we all had Palm OS devices (even in color) that had a rectangular screen -- indeed a touch screen - that had rows of icons on them. When the iPhone came out, it seemed evolutionary and not revolutionary to me. Alas, Palm let the same Palm OS continue for A DECADE. But man, those were great devices in the day. I still have two or three of them around. Although I don't know if the batteries in them would even boot today. :)

I do think that Steve Jobs was correct in viewing Google as the enemy. If Google had not gotten involved, I do not believe the Asian phone makers would have been able to product a product to rival the iPhone. RIM and MS would be much bigger players in the phone market.