Verizon Droid....iPhone killer??

thowe21

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on the new Droid coming out on 10/30. So far all the commercials are touting it as the next iPhone (how many times have I heard that before :D). Although I'm locked into a family plan with AT&T for now, the phone actually looks pretty promising.

Motorola Droid hands on! Boy Genius Report

Last edited:
Well, to me the iphone is not great at all, so to call something the next iphone is almost an insult in my eyes, but everyone's opinion differs and everyone has different tastes.

As for Android phones, I'm really digging them and have had a week to play with a co-workers G1 running android 1.5 or 1.6. Gotta say I love android and really like it's potential. Gotta say while I love windows mobile, but I just love what I can do with andoid so far.

But it's too bad that the Droid is on Verizon same as the iphone is on ATT. Two of the higher priced providers for data etc. At least Verizon has 3g coverage near me. I've never been able to see an iphone running on a 3g network.

In the next month, I'm thinking I'm ditching my windows mobile for an android device on Sprint. Loved what I saw with the Hero and I wanna see what the samsung Moment brings with the full qwerty keyboard and just straight android (hero has android plus SenseUI interface which was quite nice)

Last edited:
Don't know why anybody thinks AT&T is a "higher priced provider for data." I pay a flat $30 for unlimited use of my iPhone, on top of my family plan.

For me, ATT and verizon plans cost well over $100 for the 2 phones setup like I have and I can't even get 3g speeds from ATT anywhere near me. Last I ran an apples to apples comparison of what I get with Sprint, compared to ATT and VZW, the highest price was Verizon, then ATT, both over $115 befor taxes and fees, while with Sprint, I pay $96 including fees and taxes. Yes, I get a discount with Sprint, but ATT said they'd match it and it was still about $25 more per month. Which might be worth it with ATT if they can infact meet the claimed 7mbps (correct me if I'm wrong on this number) speeds they claim they support with the Iphone, but unless the coverage is here, it's a moot point.

As for ATT and unlimited use, well it's unlimited use of what they allow you to use correct? Did they ever relax the slingplayer restrictions? I have not followed it. Not saying ATT is evil and everyone else is better, every provider has their faults.

Edit:

here's my breakdown of my plans from the 3 providers
Verizon Premium Connect 2 lines, 1400 minutes $159.99 Not sure when Nights and Weekends start, so hard to say if it would cost more than listed already.
AT&T For just 1 iPhone, their online system told me $139.99 to match the features I get with sprint. Again, for just 1 phone.
Sprint before my discount for 2 phones, unlimited data, text, and 1500 talk (barely scratched anymore with the anymobile anytime feature) $129, but due to corporate discounts, loyalty rewards etc, only $96.xx after taxes and fees. Yes, like I said ATT said they would match it, but only on 1 phone, not a family plan.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I'm not an Apple person... I've had Windows mobile phones for the last few years, but I really want to check out the Droid next week (11/6 is due out according to latest things news posts I've seen.) It looks pretty slick and has some pretty impressive specs behind it. I think if MS finally combined the ZuneHD with a phone that would be worth a serious look. But at this point I'm pretty ready to check out the Google alternative.

-Mike

Does the Droid have a keyboard, or is it just touch screen.

I have an omnia and the lack of the keyboard is the one thing I despise about it.

I think my buddy and I may run over to the store next Friday AM from work as there's an official store about a mile or so from here. I'm assuming there won't be any crazy lines like for the iPhone.

I really hope VZW doesn't screw this one up and cripple it. It's getting rav reviews for a change. Also can't wait to crack open the SDK :)

-Mike

Well, to me the iphone is not great at all, so to call something the next iphone is almost an insult in my eyes, but everyone's opinion differs and everyone has different tastes.

I echo the same exact statement. I've played with the iPhone a few times, and really haven't been impressed, guess I just can't get over the fact they still don't have a keyboard slider model, along with the Apple Nazi's telling you what to do with the phone.

Engadget played with the new VZW DRIOD today and love it. It does look like a very interesting device to say the least. Love the built in Google GPS Navigation. I am sure a lot of the GPS companies are going to hate that though. :)

Engadget played with the new VZW DRIOD today and love it. It does look like a very interesting device to say the least. Love the built in Google GPS Navigation. I am sure a lot of the GPS companies are going to hate that though. :)

Where's the dedicated number buttons?? arghhh.... they could have made it slide much further and included another row to the keyboard which would have dedicated number buttons. You never realize how nice the dedicated number buttons on a phone's keyboard is until you use one with them.

TomTom and Garmin's stocks tanked for awhile after the announcement. They look like they've recovered a bit. I'm actually kind of suprised as it definitely won't replace GPS in the short term because (for now) you still need a data plan and cell service to use Google's Nav app.

-Mike

Heh, Garmin and TomTom still down 16-20%

The big deal IMO is the synergy. It's like complaining you need Live Gold service to access Netflix streaming. You don't buy it to do just that, the people that use this will presumably already be subscribing to the appropriate data plan. Suddenly potentially millions of people will have access to a comparable to standalone if not better GPS service than Garmin provides as phones compatible with this across multiple carriers are adopted. That's pretty devastating for the GPS companies.

I have unlimited data on my Storm, the navigation on there works well enough to prevent me from ever buying a Garmin. I have to admint some of this droid hype has piqued my curiosity, and I generally ignore this kind of stuff since im not moving from VZW to get an iPhone, so I hope over the next year as I wait out my new every two it delivers on the hype.

Wait, the Droid is a Motorola? Pass. Craparola is what drove me to the iPhone in the first place. That and it plays nice with my Macbook. As it should. :D

Im my personal opinion the palm pre is more of a iphone killer than the droid but the iphone is the iphone and I dont think there will ever be a 'killer'.

I suspect the Android 2.0 phones and NavApp will be NICE. Also the hero is supposedly getting a 2.0 upgrade. NICE. I still wonder how loud the NavApp will be and will it compete with my Garmin 2720/LifeTime maps, etc.

We'll see. I did manage to get Sprint to mark my account for a Hero upgrade at the upgrade price now instead of in January. As soon as my Re-Fi goes through I may pull the trigger on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts