Verizon FIOS being installed in Largo, FL (maybe):

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Well as the title says I've seen quite a bit of activity with cable runs in Largo in the last week or so but I'm not exactly sure if its fiber or not but I think it is. Its being run on the poles and its not around the other cables but almost five feet below all by itself. Its black cable that looks a little bit bigger than most of the cables and the cables are entering into these small black boxes with what looks like six or so little connectors on them. They boxes are hanging on the poles every now and again. All I can see is a Verizon truck with a very big roll of black cable and the techs are stringing them on the pole. I also noticed about three weeks ago on the corner of East Bay and Starkey/Keene (Walgreens) some Verizon workers digging up the sidewalk and replaced some cable underground and the big box nearly buy within feet seems to be different looking. Its bigger that is for sure.

I've seen the cables being hung on both sides of the street on East Bay Drive between Belcher Rd and Missouri Rd. It seems to be stopping at the light you turn into to get to Largo Middle School. I've also seen it being run on Belcher Road all the way towards Ulmerton Rd as well. I haven't seen much being done closer to the CO which is at the light across the street from Tri City Plaza. But it does seem to be new cables being run all over the coverage area of the CO covering that area.

We had a few new places being built that have new poles put in but they are wiring thousands of feet away from anything new so I don't think they ran extra cables just to service these people but I could be wrong. I'll try and take pictures but at the rate they are putting the cables up if it is indeed fiber it shouldn't be long as Largo isn't very big and what they have put up is almost 50-60% of the city. But it does seem like every pole is having this cable installed and it is Verizon as they aren't using a subcontractor for this because the trucks say clearly Verizon on them. Also the workers doing the digging by the Walgreens weren't Verizon employees so those workers are the only contractors. Also nearly all of Largo has poles on the main streets so very little of the city has underground cables assuming any of it does.

the big wheels on the pack of the truck is what was driving around our neighborhood when the were installing fios. ours was orange in color, but it was going underground. yours being black might be because it is going the poll route. hopefully you will get it soon. i will be 100 percent verizon on friday except for the cell phones which we go with the prepaid because we don't use them and only have to pay 20 bucks every three months to keep them active.

korsjs said:
the big wheels on the pack of the truck is what was driving around our neighborhood when the were installing fios. ours was orange in color, but it was going underground. yours being black might be because it is going the poll route. hopefully you will get it soon. i will be 100 percent verizon on friday except for the cell phones which we go with the prepaid because we don't use them and only have to pay 20 bucks every three months to keep them active.

The orange stuff is conduit and not fiber. The truck I saw was a Verizon truck with a wooden trailer of some sports hooked on the back of the Verizon truck. This wooded trailer had one very big roll of black cable and they were running it on the poll off the roll. The black cable is pretty thick but not super big but bigger than most of the cables on the poles. I really think its fiber but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Verizon subcontracted in our neighborhood until the actual Fios internet and tv was hooked up from the easment to the house which were both Verizon. I noticed they did the same in other surrounding communities.

Heck, if I was you- I would just stop and ask them while they're out working and see for sure!

mindgrind said:
Verizon subcontracted in our neighborhood until the actual Fios internet and tv was hooked up from the easment to the house which were both Verizon. I noticed they did the same in other surrounding communities.

Heck, if I was you- I would just stop and ask them while they're out working and see for sure!

So far at the places they are working you can't just stop on the side of the road and ask. Even our local city roads have three lanes each way in addition to two left turn lanes and one right turn lane each way. But for a city so small in size we do have almost 80,000 people now. At one point in time I will stop in a parking lot and ask soon.

Well, Longhorn- if anyone needs the good fortune of getting it soon it should be you considering all the information you have gotten for the rest of us! Let us know, without getting run over, when you find out!

mindgrind said:
Well, Longhorn- if anyone needs the good fortune of getting it soon it should be you considering all the information you have gotten for the rest of us! Let us know, without getting run over, when you find out!

I have FIOS internet service today because my area had fiber installed when it was built so I've been connected for six months or so. But I'm still waiting for FIOS TV service and I will never see it until one of two things occurs. Largo gets a franchise agreement or Verizon gets a statewide agreement.

Fios is coming close! Sweet!

I live right inside this square did you see any of that around here?

Lol, I haven't left the house in months REALLY!

I have no life :eek:

Trevorm7 said:
Fios is coming close! Sweet!

I live right inside this square did you see any of that around here?

Lol, I haven't left the house in months REALLY!

I have no life :eek:

I haven't seen anyone working around this area. By the way I used to live around this area and I wonder if you get the St. Petersburg Times. If you do I wonder if you still have my old carrier. His name I believe is Ken Goyett I think. The spelling could be a little wrong but I wonder if he is still delivering in this area or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts