Verizon Fios Television Installed Today

kramer17

Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Verizon Fios Television Service Installed Today

Well, I just had the new fios television service installed. (Wylie, TX) Everything went pretty smooth considering it was the first install for the three verizon employees that came out for the install. The install took about three hours. I had "D", but liked the upside that fios offered. I had one HD DVR and three standard boxes installed. So far everything is working great. The picture quality is excellent especially on the HD channels. The football games look very sharp. I think the quality of the picture on the HD and SD channel is slightly better than "D". The HD DVR is simple to use but I wish it had a radio remote control versus a IR remote.
Pricing
$34.95 for extended Service with HD
12.95 for HD DVR
4.00 ea. for SD Boxes
$15.00 for sport pack and TMC, Showtime, Encore, Starz

Last edited:
Verizon Fios Impressions

Well, I've had verizon fios tv installed for about four days and I have been very happy with the quality of service. The picture quality is excellent! The HD channels are incredible. Originally, I thought the quality of the HD channel was a little better than D', but after watching it for a few days it is much better than D'. Even the SD channels seem to be clearer. The HD DVR is not as interactive as the D' DVR, but I am hoping they come out with a second generation DVR. I have not had any quality issues with the picture as of yet. One complaint that I do have is the remote control. It seems a little cheap and does not have great range. They need to go RF control with future models. The other complain I have is the limited VOD library that they currently offer. Overall I am extremely happy with the service, and would reccomend anybody that has the opportunity to get the service make the switch. I am looking forward to additional HD channel in the near future. I hope the rumor is true about verizon carrying every HD & SD channel available in the future.

Thanks for the info Kramer! Nice to know the PQ is excellent as we were hoping for! How do you like the guide for the DVR? As I understand it, the DVR is very similar to the Comcast Motorola unit but has a guide that was designed by Microsoft.

Happy TV watching! We are all very jealous!

Can you post some screen shots of the DVR screens (guide, DVR list, etc)?

I'm dying here in Lewisville- both guys I work with can get it (Coppell and Flower Mound), and they don't really even care!

I was told I would get it by December probably 3 times on the phone, but no go. I did get the "Coming Soon" flyer in the mail, but still holding my breath!

Kramer, did you get a notice either email or snail that you were elegible or should I just keep on checking each day?

My in-Laws in Ft. Wayne, IN, just got their telephone and Internet upgraded to FIOS (no FIOS TV yet) and I wanted to know if the FIOS Digital TV requires a STB for each location or can any QAM/Digital tuner HDTV receive the localcast signal? I would expect any PPV to need a CableCard or STB, but what about tuning in the non-premium Digital channels?

Notice for Service

mindgrind said:
I'm dying here in Lewisville- both guys I work with can get it (Coppell and Flower Mound), and they don't really even care!

I was told I would get it by December probably 3 times on the phone, but no go. I did get the "Coming Soon" flyer in the mail, but still holding my breath!

Kramer, did you get a notice either email or snail that you were elegible or should I just keep on checking each day?

I received a FED EX packet from there office in New Jersey stating that FIOS Televison is available in my area. You can also go to the verizon sight and pop in your phone number to see if you are eligible.

Foxbat said:
My in-Laws in Ft. Wayne, IN, just got their telephone and Internet upgraded to FIOS (no FIOS TV yet) and I wanted to know if the FIOS Digital TV requires a STB for each location or can any QAM/Digital tuner HDTV receive the localcast signal? I would expect any PPV to need a CableCard or STB, but what about tuning in the non-premium Digital channels?
Everything except the basic local package requires a STB. And none of it is cable card-ready (yet at least).

Thanks, Kramer. Yeah, I've been checking their website as well. Initially it said it was available (hence the calls), but the probably got bombarded by us all calling... hehe.

I'll just wait for the fancy package. Enjoy your FiosTV.

cdru said:
Everything except the basic local package requires a STB. And none of it is cable card-ready (yet at least).
Well, there goes the idea of buying a couple of integrated HDTV sets for now. Hopefully FIOS will support Cable Card or CC2 at some point. I don't mind STBs, but most people don't want extra boxes just to watch TV.

Kramer, Please keep us informed, especially about the HD DVR. Verizon is laying cable in my neighborhood as I type. I'm hoping Verizon and TIVO get together like Comcast. That would make a great next gen DVR and seal the deal for me!!--Ray

Foxbat said:
Well, there goes the idea of buying a couple of integrated HDTV sets for now. Hopefully FIOS will support Cable Card or CC2 at some point. I don't mind STBs, but most people don't want extra boxes just to watch TV.

Verizon will support CableCard but they are waiting for the CC2 to become final and that is what they will support. They will "not" be support CC1 but they will support CC2. When I say support I'm talking about service call type support. Just know that CC1 will work and tune everything in in the future but they just won't support it if something goes wrong. They need two-way ability to consider supporting them.

Longhorn, since this is at my in-Laws', I'm being the good geek-in-law and advising them to wait on a new TV purchase. I don't want them going out and buying an HDTV now if they can wait a year or two and buy a CC2-equipped set that will work with FIOS-TV when it becomes available.

Thanks for the input.

Excuse my ignorance, but when you have FIOS installed, do they have to run all new telephone lines in the house? What about the tv hookup? Do they need to run new cables (or fiber) to all your tv's?
I can get it, but I'm fairly happy with Dish.
Tom in TX

Tom in TX said:
Excuse my ignorance, but when you have FIOS installed, do they have to run all new telephone lines in the house? What about the tv hookup? Do they need to run new cables (or fiber) to all your tv's?
I can get it, but I'm fairly happy with Dish.
Tom in TX

If you order internet service they will install one cat5e jack in your house for the internet if you don't have one in place. Beyond that your phone service will still use your existing phone jacks in the house. If all the rooms you need TV service in have a standard cable jack you won't need anything changed. So if you have cable TV service in all the rooms you want those same cable jacks will be used for FIOS TV service.

Its a very simple inside hookup process its just getting the fiber to your ONT from the street that takes time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts