Verizon may bid for D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Very interesting...

I have heard rumors that Verizon was talking to Dish earlier in the year, but this is my first time hearing about them going after DirecTV.

Question is a big company ever going to buy Directv and own it for more
then two years?

Perhaps the biggest question is whether Verizon can beat AT&T, previously seen as more likely to go after DirecTV first, to the punch.

Indeed. I tend to think the sale of D* is an "when" question now, and not "if"

Question is a big company ever going to buy Directv and own it for more then two years?

I think this is what is hurting DirecTV, its constantly changing hands.

Its like they start picking them self up and kicking ass then someone hits a pause button on the company and everything starts to go to hell (maybe while due diligance is done) and then a new owner comes in and starts to try making things run well again.

I hope whoever buys it KEEPS IT.

AT&T might not want DirecTV. I have heard some buzz that AT&T is not happy with their DirecTV deal and were doing more sales with Dish Network then they are with DirecTV.

I hear t heir sales started off great but then took a sharp nosedive and havent picked up again since.

Maybe AT&T is starting to understand that all the low hanging fruit (ie new customers) have already been picked.

I would think Verizon would be happier with Dish, esp if they paired the ViP series machines with Fios. But, I suppose if they really saw the value in the ViP series, they could do a deal with Echostar today. Maybe the players are waiting on Tivo lawsuit developments, like a settlement.

I don't think Verizon buying either Dish or Direct would be good for consumers. FIOS rolling out and becoming a legitimate option for many people will increase the competitive pressure in the marketplace. Two players merging will create less competition and that will mean less benefits to consumers. Here's hoping it doesn't happen!

There are only so many areas Verizon can build out Fios too and once thats done there would be no more Fios rollouts.

Combining the two companies together would greatly reduce costs in programming alone.

There are only so many areas Verizon can build out Fios too and once thats done there would be no more Fios rollouts.

Combining the two companies together would greatly reduce costs in programming alone.

Actually I believe Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they are able to obtain franchise agreements. That most likely would be dependent upon how much the incumbent cable and landline has the local government in their pocket. The other question is how much are they wiling to spend as FIOS is very expensive to roll out (Fiber to the home) as compared to cable and copper phone/internet.

I have been with VZW since 1999 for my mobile phone service, and if they bought one of the providers, they just might get me to subscribe again.

Then again, if they lock down their service like they do their cell phones, maybe not. But if they handle billing and service like they have for me the past 10 years, I'd be happy.

One thing for sure, it'd be different. :D

I don't think Verizon buying either Dish or Direct would be good for consumers. FIOS rolling out and becoming a legitimate option for many people will increase the competitive pressure in the marketplace. Two players merging will create less competition and that will mean less benefits to consumers. Here's hoping it doesn't happen!

I beg to differ. Satcos and services such as Verizon do not compete on the same playing field.
D* offers television service.
Verizon offers internet and telephone in a vast majority of areas where it is the incumbent local carrier. Yes Verizon offers the third spoke in the triple pay in soem areas.
Where FiOS is not available D* would be a perfect venue for the carrier to compete with the local cable firm.

For example. If Verizon were the local telco but does not offer FiOS service, it could still offer a three way bundle using landline phione, internet(DSL) and partnering with D* to compete with the local cable outfit.

I lookat this as agreat opportunity for consumers. It gives the local cable monopoly a run for their money in the bundle market.

I live in Georgia & the chances of me ever seeing Fios is practically nil,especially since I live in the Boonies(i.e.,anyplace NOT in the Atlanta Metro area). Since in today's economic environment,monopoly is not a dirty word,this should have no problem coming together between Verizon & D* as long as the U.S. Government gets their share of the pie(a seat on the board, ownership of company stocks,& a special "Czar" calling the shots). In today's economic climate,I would not be surprised if all of the "baby Bells" merged back together & "Ma Bell" came back from the grave.
Could you imagine Verizon,AT&T,D*,E*,TiVo,& Sirius/XM merging into one big super company(of course with the U.S. Government sitting on the board,owning stock,& a "special czar" in charge of the whole thing)? That's what I see around the corner.

Actually I believe Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they are able to obtain franchise agreements. That most likely would be dependent upon how much the incumbent cable and landline has the local government in their pocket. The other question is how much are they wiling to spend as FIOS is very expensive to roll out (Fiber to the home) as compared to cable and copper phone/internet.

Not true... There are areas of the Verizon system where Verizon has no or limited fiber plant.
I can name two. One of which is a wide expanse of Eastern Upstate NY.

Verizon already uses D* as an option for TV when FIOS is not availiable, in a bundled package, they have for a while. Many providers have deals with D* for a bundled package. Verizon,ATT,Quest, Embarq and some others.

Not true... There are areas of the Verizon system where Verizon has no or limited fiber plant.
I can name two. One of which is a wide expanse of Eastern Upstate NY.

I think you misunderstood my point that Verizon can roll out FIOS anywhere that they a)can negotiate a franchise agreement and b)choose to spend the considerable capital it requires to roll out fiber to the home.

Verizon is not limited with regard to FIOS services to only the areas where they are the incumbent local exchange carrier for phone service.

Not a rant and I am trying not to troll but if Verizon does buy DirecTV I bet you they will still have a channel line up you can't remember. Like the previous owners they will still have the channels all spread out. News channels spread all over the place and too many 24/7 infomercial channels spread all over next to regular channels. That was the one big thing I hated about DirecTV when I had them for a year.

Also how many times can someone buy DirecTV. Getting tired of the whole thing.

I will leave Dish Network and go back to Directv when
the new Directv HD DVR with TiVo comes out.

FIOS rolling out and becoming a legitimate option for many people will increase the competitive pressure in the marketplace.

EXCEPT that you DO know that Verizon is dumping most of their LEC areas in (what they consider) the "rural areas" of the country - "rural" to them however is pretty much EVERYTHING in the middle of the country, while you guys along "both coasts" are getting the FiOS!

Bottom line - FiOS is still NOT going to EVER be an option (unfortunately) for the rest of the US. :mad:

NOW, as far as Verizon buying D* - YUCK! BUT OTOH, they might NOT do any worse than who's running it now... :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)