Verizon Nexus One is dead

COnsidering that it is pretty much the same hardware specs, not a lot of incentive for Verizon, considering the Nexus One is totally open to customization, and the Incredible is locked down with SenseUI, and not immediately rootable.

Nexus One not going to Verizon

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Google Inc. said Monday that the company's flagship mobile device, the Nexus One, will not be available on the Verizon Wireless network, as had been anticipated.

In a posting on a company Web site, Google said that customers who had been waiting for the Nexus One on Verizon should instead pre-order a different model.

A Google spokesman declined to elaborate, saying only that the decision to not make the Nexus One available on Verizon "is a reflection of the amazing innovation happening across the open Android ecosystem," referring to Google's open-source, mobile operating system.

A Verizon spokeswoman said that "the decision to not sell the phone was theirs," referring to Google.

When Google unveiled the Nexus One in January, it said the phone would be available on Vodafone PLC overseas, and on Verizon in the United States in the spring. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone.

But while Google confirmed Monday that the Nexus One will be available on Vodafone's network in the United Kingdom later this month, no such plans exist for Verizon. Instead, Google suggested Verizon customers pre-order the Incredible, another Android-based phone from HTC Corp. , maker of the Nexus One.

Placement on Verizon -- which is the largest U.S. operator, boasting some 93 million subscribers -- was seen as a potential boon for the Nexus One. The device faces tough competition in a growing field of advanced cell phones, including Apple Inc.'s popular iPhone.

The iPhone is available exclusively in the United States on the network of Verizon rival AT&T Inc.

Unlike Apple, Google has sought to deploy its mobile technology in a number of different devices and for a variety of networks.

Google hasn't disclosed the number of Nexus One devices that it's sold to date. The company has sought to make it available on networks such as Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile USA, but also has tried to sell it directly via an online store.

Forrester Research analyst Charles Golvin said the lack of a version of Nexus One specifically for Verizon is "a setback" for Google's efforts to promote the phone.

"It may be Verizon thought the Incredible was a better match for them than the Nexus One," Golvin said, adding that the Incredible could be a "unique, stand-alone product" for Verizon, whereas the Nexus One is already available from rival T-Mobile.

According to data published last month by Flurry Inc., Google sold only 135,000 Nexus One devices during its first 74 days of availability -- compared with 1 million iPhones sold over the same initial period*, and 1.05 million unit sales of the Droid device from Motorola Inc.

The Droid is also based on Google's Android software.

Shares of Google closed more than 2% lower, at $531.64.

* Didn't Apple report 8.8 Million not 1 million iphone sales the first quarter?

On an iphone note- I heard Suze Orman say she will be getting one of the first iphones on Verizon this summer and she can't wait.

First, belongs in the phone section.
Second, reported twice.

Are you trying to bump your post count?

Diogen.

I'm looking deeper into this. Kind of far fetched, I admit, but consider this:

Verizon gives up the Nexus one as a token to Apple for paving the way for the Verizon iphone.

They don't really lose anything except Nexus one sales which have been tiny compared to iphone sales during the same period. ( Likely because of T-Mobile and no real ad campaign, not because of Nexus inferiority as a device) Verizon already has the Droid, Eris, and Incredible so they are good with Android anyway.

it probably only sold a million domestically.

Let's not do the "probably" game with incorrect data since the real numbers are available:
AT&T report last Wednesday for quarterly results stated it activated 2.7 million iphones in the first quarter. 900,000 new customers and 1.8 Million existing customers who switched from other phones to iphone.
But, we're talking world wide sales so the world wide figure of 8.8 million released by Apple is the number to compare to the 135,000 sales world wide on Google. iphone was available for a full 90 day qtr, while Nexus One figure was only available for sale for 74 days.

First, belongs in the phone section.
Second, reported twice.

Are you trying to bump your post count?

Diogen.

My error in the wrong forum, been back and forth. But the double post is a mystery to me how that happened.

Thanks for the advisory. I'll report the other thread to be deleted.

As most people know I don't follow post count numbers, just as I don't give a rats ass about the big D* vs E* HD channel count debate but do find the people making those arguments most entertaining.

Because I really didnt put much effort into a reply to a thread that's in the wrong forum (where this is already being discussed).

The key in the statement is 74 days. That's how long it took the original iphone that it's being compared to, to hit 1 million units.

I found this out trying to Google your source, since you didn't link to one (which is bad Internet etiquette, to post an entire article, btw)

I think it's more likely that the Nexus One is inferior to the Incredible, so Verizon opted to pass, or they mutually agreed that this wasn't the right move to put effort into it?

I haven't read much about this yet, just some of the doom and gloom headlines

I think it's more likely that the Nexus One is inferior to the Incredible, so Verizon opted to pass, or they mutually agreed that this wasn't the right move to put effort into it?

I haven't read much about this yet, just some of the doom and gloom headlines
I think you are right! I have been going back and forth about getting a new android cell phone and ordered the nexus. The hardware is faulty in my opinion so it went back!! Verizon here i come! The way T mobile wanted to handle the situation was awful to say the least!

Wow, that is just stupid in my opinion unless they have something similar coming soon.

Ok. I think all the threads about the Nexus one have been moved and merged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)