Version iPhone 4 app instructions please

Dcdmd13

Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere in Missouri.
I am about to return to the Dish network world as a installer. I am also new to the iPhone. I downloaded the DP AR app to help with my job. But I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work. I have tried time and time again and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I live in the Kansas city Missouri area so I'm looking for the 110,119,129

I guess I need someone to give me step by step instruction for a dummy :rant:

Thanks,

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
My guess is that you are not getting a location fix. Because no location, no satellites. Go to your phone settings and in there under location services make sure that location services is enabled at the top and also enabled for DP AR further down the list.

After that, open up the DP app, go to the camera screen and you should get a location fix - once you get a fix, there will be a lat and long number at the bottom left. If you then point your iPhone towards the southern sky, you should see the satellites appear on the screen.

Dcdmd13

Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere in Missouri.
Ok made sure that everything is on. I start the app and it is showing my lat and Lon I have tried locking the compass at 180 degrees and without locking it. I figured it would be a fairly simple app but I just can't seem to get it right.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
What's the part that you cannot get right? Could you please expand a bit more about the issue you are having?

Dcdmd13

Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere in Missouri.
Everything seems to work but auctually seeing the satellites. I get a Lon and Lat reading the compass is working I can lock it at 180 or leave it alone and it moves when I do. (numbers change) but when I raise it up to check LOS issues all I see is a normal camera view with no satellites showing. Just looks like I started the camera.

Dcdmd13

Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere in Missouri.
I found out that there is a bug in the app for iPhone that rarely happens. I did a hard reboot on the phone and tried it at a different location and it started working for me.
It's great when working!
Good luck!

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
It's not a bug in the app, it's in the iPhone itself. It only happens if your location fix is within an accuracy range, not too accurate but also not too coarse - in those cases the iPhone doesn't provide the true heading information.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The new update 2.1.3 available now on the App store fixes this -1.0 True North issue. It's actually an Apple 4.3 bug, you can see it on the native Compass app, True North is sometimes not available even though the location is known. Anyway, True North is now calculated internally inside the app and all satellites should be visible providing a location is given.

postalguy

Nov 3, 2005
I'm kind of having the same problem. I just got the app today so it should be the latest version. I find myself chasing the red line, trying to get the red dots to line up with my current directv HD dish, which they won't do. I've got it set to only directv satellites and the best I can get it in line with the dish is 2 dots on the left side and 1 dot on the right side of the dish, both being at the extreme edges of the dish. Maybe this is how it is supposed to be for HD, trying to receive 3 sats at once.

Even then the red line tends to move around a lot no matter how hard you try to hold still, and sometimes it's just the red line with no sats. It would be nice if it worked as easily as "Star Walk" where the stars appear on the screen as you pan the sky as though it where seeing them through the camera. I imagine both work on the same principle of knowing where the phone is and where it's pointing, but the Star Walk app is very smooth and fast. This one takes a lot more patience.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
If there is no lnb directly over the lnb arm then there will be no dots straight ahead of the dish but to the sides.

I guess you are too close to the dish and hence get magnetic interferences making the compass become jittery. Since you have an existing dish setup, you could enter the satellite directly over the lnb arm in the horizontal reference mode settings and work without the compass. This would be the most reliable way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts