Very Angry with D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Ok I just got my R10 up and running. I've run into a problem though. I have no long distance phone service and there is no local call in number for me. There is also no option for me to select an 800 number from the phone number list. So I called D* and ordered an 800 number. After almost 2 weeks, still no 800 number in my number list so I call D* back. Now they are telling me that I have to get long distance so that I can connect to the DVR service 1 time, and then I will have access to the 800 number! What the heck is the point of offering an 800 number if you have to have long distance to get it anyway!!! Is there anybody that I can contact at D* that can help me fix this. I love my Tivo so far, but D*'s customer service has not been able to help me out at all, and if this is going to continue, I'm going back to E*.

hahler2 said:
Ok I just got my R10 up and running. I've run into a problem though. I have no long distance phone service and there is no local call in number for me. There is also no option for me to select an 800 number from the phone number list. So I called D* and ordered an 800 number. After almost 2 weeks, still no 800 number in my number list so I call D* back. Now they are telling me that I have to get long distance so that I can connect to the DVR service 1 time, and then I will have access to the 800 number! What the heck is the point of offering an 800 number if you have to have long distance to get it anyway!!! Is there anybody that I can contact at D* that can help me fix this. I love my Tivo so far, but D*'s customer service has not been able to help me out at all, and if this is going to continue, I'm going back to E*.

Seems like a reasonable request to me to make one long distance call. 800's numbers do cost Directv money to provide.

I don't think that it's that unreasonable, if I had long distance service. But, I can't even make the one call because I don't have the long distance service, so now I'm gonna have to call the phone company and pay for long distance service to be activated. It just seems like there's got to be a better way.

Elstevo said:
Have any friends with DirecTV and long distance? Take it over there temporarilly and set it up.

Ditto what Elsteveo said.

Not going to stick up for anyone's customer service(as a matter of fact, now-a-days I think most corporate conglomerates see customer service as a revenue-draining-nuisance; but that's another thread) but my own. If you were my customer, I'd be happy to help you get the inital phone call done at one of our shops.

Did you buy from a local retailer, or one of those faceless, toll-free or web-site retailers? If the latter, then you probably got what you paid for. If the former, I am sure they would help you out. Elsteveo's suggestion of taking it to a friend's house with D* and LD would be good if your retailer couldn't/can't/wouldn't/won't help.

take your tivo to a friends house that has directv and long distance and set it up there to make the one long distance call....

That's a good idea. I'll have to do that. Does it have to be someone with D* or could I take it to just anyones house that has long distance?

hahler2 said:

The way I set up Tivo's for customers that do not have long distance is to go into the menu that gives the numbers, scroll to the bottom of the list and select "none of the above", on the next screen select "Sales & Marketing program". This will let you use an 800 number. How long this will let you use that number I can't say as the screen say's the Sales & Marketing program number can be used temporaily.

Its supposedly only going to work for 7 days (it's access is granted by Access Card number and TiVO service number or something) and this allows DirecTV time to escalate the issue to a TiVo/Specialty Group to arrange for a number or permanent 800 access.

I was also going suggest the dial around method, 1010345 is another provider you could use.

See my problem is in the list of available phone numbers, there is no option for none of the above. That's the problem. I ended up using the 1010220 method and it worked for me. Unfortuneately I still don't have access to the 800 number so I'm going to have to call D* and complain some more.

I'm thinking that's probably what I'll end up doing. Say the heck with this 800 number and just get a calling card and leave my tivo unplugged from the phone line. Then I just hook it up like every 2 or 3 weeks and be good to go.

Calll Directv Demand That They Give You A toll free number!
You Shouldnt Have To Deal With Expensive Calls!

calling card

why not go down to the local wal mart and buy a cheap phone card and call from it and solve the problem. the card come in like 3 to 5 dollar and are scanned and good to go as soon as u get home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)