VERY frustrated with Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mike500 said:
Indianapolis locals are on 101. Louisville locals are on 119 and require an elliptical dish with at least two lnbs.

It could be your receivers. Panasonic, as I recalled, were made for them by RCA and were not DirecTV +plus receivers. They may be capable for only one satellite position. If you go to the set up menu, and there is no option to select round or elliptical dish, your receiver is not capable of receiving Sat B at 119 or 72.5. You need to replace the receivers. They can be had to $50 for $50 each at either Circuit City or Best Buy.

Whoa there, don't rush out and buy anything, if your receivers are truely not compatable with the Phase III dish (check the setup menu to see if it has an option to change dish type to the three LNB dish, if it does not then the receivers are most likely not compatable), simply call Directv (@ 1-800-DIRECTV) and tell them your problem. Seeing how you have been a customer for some time and relocated to an area where it requires you to use a Phase III dish to get the locals, Directv should upgrade your receivers with new ones at no cost. Maybe if you act a little bit upset you might get them to make one of the replacement receivers a Tivo just to make up for your troubles.

I was awake of that but we were discussing a standard phase 3.......

Macfisto2, have you checked the outlet the receiver is plugged into? Loose, flakey power sockets can cause this symptom in receivers. Causes hits to it's memory, requireing reboot and a new channel search. Try plugging a lamp into the same socket and wiggling the plug to see if the lamp flickers. If the other receiver in the house is fine, try switching the cables at the LNB to each other's ports If the problem moves to the other receiver, that will tell you the port on the LNB is at fault.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I do know that my receivers should be compatible (it does have an option for an oval dish on the setup screen, which has been selected). Plus, the fact that it does work properly and pulls in locals after a reboot tells me it must just be some kind of short. Thanks Tony N for your suggestion -- I will try that when I get home tonight.

macfisto2 said:
Thanks for all your help. I just set up an appointment for Directv to come out and replace the LNB's. Hopefully that will help. One other question though -- would it be possible that older receivers have compatibility issues or anything like that? The two receivers I have used are Panasonics that were probably made in 2001. I am having the same problem with each receiver. Could the receivers simply be too old?
Yes the first several generations of Directv receivers were not designed to use the three sat configuration and required an external switch to be able to get 119 and 101 signals. Your's are compatible if they are Directv plus receivers or have a menu option for three sat dishes. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)