Vespa for saving on fuel cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sad to say hershey is largely closing its home plant in hershey pa moving most production to contactors in foreign countries for more profits. the home hershey plant is scheduled to become a museumn. I have given serious thought to sending hershey foods a nice letter stating I will NEVER buy a hershey bar again.

the trouble is soon nothing will be produced in the US

except more Prisons:rolleyes:

bet we could outsorce them too to save money. prisoners could visit by picturephone

I am, AMAZED people dont appear to care, or see what this will do to our country long term...........

Its globalization of the economy, no telling where it will go but hopefully it will balance out incomes though out the world as the last few non communist and terrorist controlled countries are entering the world market ( I know China is an exception ).

I dont know if its a fact that people dont care, if it hadnt been for your your post that the plant was closing I wouldnt have known about it at all, its not as if the vast majority of businesses that move over seas to open up shop make it to the news papers outside of the town they were based in. People probably resigned themselves to the fact that there is nothing they can do about manufacturing jobs leaving the country, after all it has been going on since the 70's.

Money, thats what people need to live each day alteast those of us who dont have the ability or capacity to live %100 off the land through our own hands and determination so rather than wallow in a pool of woe is me people have retrained and learned to move into other markets where they can make money such as the service industry wich is what America has become all about.

There are quite a few atlantic and pacific islands that re uninhabited in the southern sea's not to far from Ant Arctica that would be good for island sized prisons that will offer basicly no chance of exscape unless they want to swim in frigid water and can swim a thousand miles to a frozen waste land then hey more power to them.

There are quite a few atlantic and pacific islands that re uninhabited in the southern sea's not to far from Ant Arctica that would be good for island sized prisons that will offer basicly no chance of exscape unless they want to swim in frigid water and can swim a thousand miles to a frozen waste land then hey more power to them.

tried before. did you know why they closed alcatraz? cost of operations every single thing had to be delivered by boat. including fuel fpor the power plant.

prisons need guards, in such a isolated place guards come from?

a old twilight zone episode had one prisoner per planet with a rare supply ship visit.

First- THANKS for all the help. I'm still considering it and beating it to death from all angles. I might take the motorcycle safety course and have that be part of my decision making process. The course uses cycles, not scooters, so that means bigger machines with more hp, plus shifting. Probably be good for me to relearn it all anyway.

I'm looking inward to decide why I'm interested. Save money? Sure- between $3 and $3.35 per day that I commute on the scooter, at today's fuel rates. I've been very careful in calculating that and have confidence that at today's prices (reg $3.16, premium $3.43, diesel $2.90) that would be the savings. Not much, but certainly would build up over time.

Is it really a "fun factor" that I'm refusing to admit? Kinda late (& cheap!) for a mid life crisis. I suspect it's just a hedge, a desire to be able to get around very cheaply in case fuel hits $5 a gallon or more. Of course, if that happens, we've probably got a lot more to worry about, like employment. Of course, I can always buy one later if fuel spikes, but then these things might be kinda scarce and expensive. One thing I have noticed from the internet and talking with dealers is that there seems to be increasing interest in them and sales are increasing. Now that I'm looking, I'm noticing a few on the roads.

It might be moot, since some guys at work assure me that if I drive a scooter to work just ONCE, they'll razz me enough to make sure I never do it again!

Some of these "scooters" are 650cc! I'm only considering 150cc.

Anyway, IF I buy one, it won't be a Vespa. And it won't be 2 stroke. As one guy put it, about 2 strokes- do you want a hobby, or do you want transportation?

I don't drink coffee or smoke, and I limit myself to just one soda a day (usually). I'm not much into chocolate or ice cream. I could save $30 a month by dropping an IPTV system I don't even really use- attracted by the technology but not the content, I guess. Probably should cut back on drinking to save a few bucks. Maybe it's not the money. Maybe it's the dependence upon expensive fuel that bugs me. I've toyed with making my own biodiesel after the warranty is up.

I can't pedal to work, as I must travel a few miles along a major street (Braddock Rd). No way on a bicycle. But a 150cc scooter could keep up to the speed limit (45) even up the hills. Not really a problem, since when I'm commuting nobody's going 45. It's stop and go, which is probably safer.

I was surprised to see that after weekends, holidays and vacation days, we actually only work a bit less than two thirds of the days of the year. And I've considered that with bad weather, I might only use it 75% of the time. So I'm estimating 179 scooter commuting days per year. I've disregarded using it for errands, just to be on the conservative side. That works out to $500 or $600 a year in fuel savings the first year. After 6 years, with 8% rate of increase in fuel costs per year, that's between $4,000 and over $4,400 in cumulative fuel savings. Subtract about $120/year for insurance, and maintenance costs. That might cut the savings almost in half. But then also consider that the truck maintenance costs will also be reduced, certainly more than offsetting the scooter maintenance costs. Heck, one change of oil and filters on the truck would likely be more than a year's maintenance on the scooter. So the savings estimates are probably not too far off, and a bit on the conservative side.

Unless fuel doesn't increase in price. What if it really goes down in price? Going by this site gas prices have increased in VA by 7.7% over the last year. And by a whopping 17.8% (annual avg - $1.35 to $3.06) since 2002! If that rate happened again over the next 5 years, we'd be paying $6.95 per gallon! And I'd be saving between $1200 & $1400 per year on fuel.

Of course, it COULD be a peak, and prices go down for a few years. But with Iran and Venezuela, I kinda doubt the long term trends are downward.

And there's always the "Thumpa Thumpa" concern. Not to be ignored or discounted.

Time to chat again with She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Well here's an idea that could work for a bunch of people- I did it and we're currently trying to figure out a way for my wife to do same.

Home based business! Been doing it full time since 1993. My commute to work is about 15 steps from my bedroom! Now I do have to travel quite a bit but those costs are all passed along on the invoice. Not only gas savings but the real savings are thousands of times better than this topic.

OK- how long before somebody points out "most accidents happen in the home?" ;)

you might look into a bicycle engine or motor, you engage it when you want, low power so pedal on big hills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gas-Bicycle-Mot...3QQihZ018QQcategoryZ47352QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

low cost, no insurance, no plates, no inspection, very little gasoline or can be electric battery operated.

bigger nmotorcycles are supposedly safer hasving the power and response to get you out of harms way fast in a tight situation.

most of my friends who have gotten hurt on motorcycles were run off the road.

Yea Bob but your in PA and well we all know the kind of people who live in PA, :D

Ive known a couple of people that have been run off the road or wiped out pretty bad and one that died, but I also have known several people hurt in car acidents that will never be able to walk without crutches or even at all, lost several to drunk driving over the years, also had a friend and nearly every single member of his close and extended family die in the Lockerbe Scottland flight Bombing when I was a kid.

Fact is is that no form of travel is safe, some are more than others so its up to the person to decide wich way to go and in Navy's case he's doing alot more thinking than most all of these young idiots who start out with a 1,000cc crotch rocket that can hit 100mph in 6 seconds.

tried before. did you know why they closed alcatraz? cost of operations every single thing had to be delivered by boat. including fuel fpor the power plant.

prisons need guards, in such a isolated place guards come from?

a old twilight zone episode had one prisoner per planet with a rare supply ship visit.

Well I was thinking more along the lines of basicly dropping off the inmates and letting them fend for themselves, after watching a marathon of Lock Down the idea is definitely worth looking over.

Yea Bob but your in PA and well we all know the kind of people who live in PA, :D

Ive known a couple of people that have been run off the road or wiped out pretty bad and one that died, but I also have known several people hurt in car acidents that will never be able to walk without crutches or even at all, lost several to drunk driving over the years, also had a friend and nearly every single member of his close and extended family die in the Lockerbe Scottland flight Bombing when I was a kid.

Fact is is that no form of travel is safe, some are more than others so its up to the person to decide wich way to go and in Navy's case he's doing alot more thinking than most all of these young idiots who start out with a 1,000cc crotch rocket that can hit 100mph in 6 seconds.

oh i agree, but just point out the risks.

funny thing in PA you MUST wear a safety belt but motorcylce riders arent required to wear a helmet, how wierd is that??

I came across a bad motorcycle accident, just as it occured, fortunately the driver lived. Got into a heated argument with a bozo who wanted to move the victim even as the anbulance sirens were getting close.

I was ready to deck him the victim wasnt bleeding but had gone head first and was in wierd shape, I was afraid untrained helper might paralyze him ....... for life

Never move people like that unless they aree in immediate danger of dying, like bleeding to death or in a vehicle on fire.

Well PA is a wierd state and Im not surprised that the laws dont require the passenger to wear helmets.

Well meaning passer byes can be your worst enemy in an acident or your savior. I came across a pedestrian hit and run by a drunk driver, the guy hit her twice because he was going in circles around a bar at a fourway intersection. Out of the dozen or so people at the scene she had three who came to her rescue, myself who got through a crowd of gawkers to put a jacket under her head and several on either side of her shattered leg and the other two that raced after the guy and yanked his drunk ass out of the car when he stopped to take a whiz in the parking lot of the bar ( this was closed by the way ).

My wife laid out a route that lets me use back streets for almost the entire commute. Looks like it adds less than 2 miles. Theoretically it adds 15 minutes to the commute, but with less traffic I suspect it won't add that much. Gotta be safer.

Might go visit some shops Sunday. Saturday we're out of town.

Note to self: Never drive near bars.....

My wife laid out a route that lets me use back streets for almost the entire commute. Looks like it adds less than 2 miles. Theoretically it adds 15 minutes to the commute, but with less traffic I suspect it won't add that much. Gotta be safer.

Might go visit some shops Sunday. Saturday we're out of town.

Note to self: Never drive near bars.....
I hate riding my motorcycle on side streets, particularly residential streets. You have to be alert at all times for cars backing out of driveways, kids, dogs, potholes, blind intersections, ... You'd think the side streets would be safer, but people out there just don't see bikers for some reason. I always ride with my brights on in the daytime, to give the cagers a better chance of seeing me coming. Remember, a fender bender in a car is a hospital stay for a biker.

The only accident I ever had on a motorcycle was when some old guy made a left turn in front of me, and I had no chance to stop. He said that the first time he saw me was when I was straddled over his hood.

Man, it seems I just can't win! ;)

I told my boss/college buddy about thinking about buying a scooter. His reaction was "No No No No No" and something about barbed wire. It seems he remembers one of my accidents in college where I couldn't stop in time and crossed a ditch into a barbed wire fence. Conveniently, the week before an automobile had cleared a path for me there, so I was on, and not thru, the barbed wire.

Anyway, some guys here say I can take a short test for a learner's permit here at DMV and then rent a scooter. I might try that.

Weigh the advice, do the research into bike acidents in your area and judge the overal safety of your trip from point A to point B. The biggest concern you have is your age and you have brought it up in an around about way, the safety course will be a good indicator as to how well you will do out of the box and to a degrea in the long term.

Incidentaly Im looking at a Vento scooter right now along with a Piaggio to, the Vento is in Atlanta while the other is out of state, the Vento has a purchase price of $1,295 OBO, the Piaggio Im not sure on as there is no listed price.

my father in law, age 63 wants a small motorcycle

my mother in law objects and says they are organ donor vehicles:(

Fred lost this one:(

I am not afraid of riding just concerned about recovery if I got hurt and who would run my business while I recovered

Hi, I just joined and I'm saying "hi". I live in the sunny state of FL which is getting much-needed rain today.

I'm thinking of getting the new free satellite TV instead of Sky Angel.

So glad this forum exists. I'll drop in from time to time.

Carolena

Hi, I just joined and I'm saying "hi". I live in the sunny state of FL which is getting much-needed rain today.

I'm thinking of getting the new free satellite TV instead of Sky Angel.

So glad this forum exists. I'll drop in from time to time.

Carolena

welcome, please tell us more about what you have in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)