Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Can you guys help settle a bet at work?

We are arguing if VGA cable can support HDTV signals. PLease help me win!!!

While not my choice fro a great HD projector, the InFocus X1a is a popular projector that does this; it supports 420P, 720P and 1080I. Via a HD15 port. Some still say VGA, but I think they are really VESA connections.

InFocus X1a: http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-X1a.htm

http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/X1A.aspx

Cable1: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#vgamm

Cable2: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#hd15rgb

Cable3: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#hd15rgbhv

The VGA (HD15) connector on the rear of Samsung HD boxes is how those of us with big, beautiful CRT front projectors show HD. A VGA to 5 BNC cable.

:) The guys stating that it will not work says VGA is not capaple of handling the bandwidth of HDTV.

He pulled articles showing what bandwidths (xxMBPS) of VGA and HDTV.

He wont listen to me, I have tried to tell him that mpeg2/4 can compress the signal without loosing quality. Wich will produce the 1080i/720P requirement to be considered HDTV.

Help me win a Steak Dinner and big bragging rights on this NO IT ALL techie who should stay with computers and not cross into the realm of HDTV, LOL!:D

I think most of you are missing the point we are asking if VGA can support HDTV without any kind of adapter or convertor and maitain HDTV quality.

I would like to show you a chat i just had with SONY

I am waiting on respones from Nvidia and ATI and InFocus but it looks like some of you may need to do some more research.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

user John has entered room

analyst Patrick_ has entered room

John > Hello

Patrick_> Hi John. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Patrick. Please allow me a brief moment to review your question.

Patrick_> Thanks for waiting, John. I'll be glad to assist you with the HDTV.

John > Ok can VGA do HDTV

Patrick_> John, to connect HDTV you need to have a Video Card that have HDMI Out to get Maximum performance.

John > so then no it can not do and maintain quality

Patrick_> John, the VGA out is an Analog Out.

John > thats what i though thank you

Patrick_> You're welcome.

John > HDTV requires digital right

Patrick_> Yes, that's correct.

John > thank you have a great day

jpmauiwaui said:
I would like to show you a chat i just had with SONY

I am waiting on respones from Nvidia and ATI and InFocus but it looks like some of you may need to do some more research.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

user John has entered room

analyst Patrick_ has entered room

John > Hello

Patrick_> Hi John. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Patrick. Please allow me a brief moment to review your question.

Patrick_> Thanks for waiting, John. I'll be glad to assist you with the HDTV.

John > Ok can VGA do HDTV

Patrick_> John, to connect HDTV you need to have a Video Card that have HDMI Out to get Maximum performance.

John > so then no it can not do and maintain quality

Patrick_> John, the VGA out is an Analog Out.

John > thats what i though thank you

Patrick_> You're welcome.

John > HDTV requires digital right

Patrick_> Yes, that's correct.

John > thank you have a great day

John,

unfortuantly asking some kid that makes $7.00 an hour to prove your theory will not suffice as evidence. They are simply answering how to input VGA into one of their devices. As will Nvidia and ATI.

Anyone ever watch HDTV on their computer? Or is a Video card and monitor cheating...?

Dude, Just say the words.... "I WAS WRONG"

Anyone wanna chime in and help settle it...?

Oh yeah,

Forgot there is a XBOX 360 adapter too if you want to bring mfg's into this LOL!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/xbox360/highdefdetails.htm

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360vgahdcable/default.htm

If you're using the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable to connect your Xbox 360 console to a computer monitor or TV monitor with a VGA connection, you'll have the opportunity to select from a variety of resolutions. They are:
  • 640 x 480
  • 848 x 480
  • 1024 x 768
  • 1280 x 720 (equivalent to 720p)
  • 1280 x 768
  • 1280 x 1024
  • 1360 x 768
Whether using the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable or the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable, you'll find the resolution settings in the System menu on the Xbox 360 Dashboard. Select Console Settings in the System menu, and then select Display to find all your resolution options.
Xbox 360 offers unprecedented support for high-definition gaming, yet it remains flexible as well. Whether using a standard definition TV (480i), an HDTV with only one progressive scan option, or an HDTV with every available option (up to 720p and 1080i), or even a computer monitor, Xbox 360 will employ the best resolution your TV or monitor can display.

So, what you got next Mr. I think I know it all, LOL!

Most of the HDTVs out come with component connections that are analog; and they do HDTV very well; they above comment is ridiculous.

Are you saying millions of people with HD don't have HD because they are using the analog component outs?

A VESA HD15 (VGA) connection will pass HDTV as well. HD Projectors with VGA HD out do just this.
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdtv-cables.html#vgamm

Analog component video

Analog video signals must provide red, green and blue signals to create a television image. The simplest type, RGB, consists of the three discrete red, green and blue signals sent down three coaxial cables. There are a number of variant schemes which vary according to how synchronization is handled. If a synchronisation signal is sent on the green channel, it is called sync-on-green. Some schemes use a separate sync channel, for instance the European SCART connection scheme in which the video signal occupies four (R,G,B + sync) of the 21 pins in the interface. SVGA, another RGB scheme, is used worldwide for computer monitors (this is somethimes known as RGBHV, as the horizontal and vertical synchronisation pulses are sent on separate lines).

An alternative type of componentization does not use R,G,B components but rather a colorless component, termed luminance combined with one or more color-carrying components, termed chrominance, that give only color information. Mulitiple chrominance channels allow for more precision and speed in mapping the RGB colour space. This componentization scheme is a linear transformation of the sRGB color space. This type of signal is usually what is intended when people talk of component video today. Variants of this format include YUV, YCbCr, YPbPr and YIQ commonly used in video systems.

In component video systems, additional synchronization signals may need to be sent along with the images. The synchronization signals are commonly transmitted on one or two separate wires, or embedded in the blanking period of one or all of the components. In computing, the common standard is for two extra wires to carry the horizontal and vertical components ('separate syncs'), whereas in video applications it is more usual to embed the sync signal in the Y component ('sync on luminance').

S-Video is another type of component video signal, because the luminance and chrominance signals are transmitted on separate wires. This connection type, however, cannot produce high definition or digital-quality pictures (pictures with more than 480 interlaced lines of video for NTSC or more than 576 lines of interlaced video for PAL). Component video is capable of producing signals such as 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, but digital connections such as DVI (video only) and HDMI (which can also include up to 8 channels of audio) give better results at the higher resolutions (up to 1080p).

Last edited:
I don't belive that resolutions of 1280/768 pixels 60 hz which VGA can display easy,would make it non-hd.My Samsung states in the manual that if you want to connect a PC via VGA for HD to have the display set at 1280/768-60hertz

My friend purchased an Advent 42" Plasma from Sams and I just got back into the house from helping him hook it up. Used existing cables he had which was a 15 pin VGA cable from his Samsung SIR-TS160 to his plasma. Output set to 1080i, perfect display., no artifacting or pixelization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts