VHF - Hi antenna source?

Received the 2 I ordered ( http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.aspx?productid=30-2475 ) Great antenna. I like the 'no plastic(except the built in 75/300 transformer- active element holder) Wing nuts held on with a 'O' ring so they don't get lost in shipping. And could be easily broken down and repacked in the box. I may have to order a few more. THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
Hooked one up indoors (2nd floor bedroom) and it's definitely a performer. Removed the upper and lower reflectors to degrade the F/B ratio a bit to get a 2nd VHF station that's 170 degrees to the first. The primary stations signal didn't lower but the one off the back went up about 20 points.
If anyone else needs a VHF Hi Only antenna, I recommend this one.

Reactions: Mr Tony and fred555
I second the recommendation.I picked up one of these and so far even testing it indoors I've been impressed with how well it works. If it will ever quit raining long enough on the weekend I'm going to rework my mast and add it in with a UVSJ. Interesting idea about removing the two reflectors. I might have to try that, as I have stations in opposite directions too. I never thought it would have that major of an impact with a VHF antenna. Our local CBS & ABC affiliates are both VHF. There is also a 3rd DMA about 80 miles away from me that I'm just on the verge of being able to pick up with my current setup. My first "try" is going to be pointing it at that DMA intact to see if I can pull those VHF stations in. If I can't I'm just going to use it to improve my coverage on our affiliates.

Reactions: Mr Tony
INSTALLED this past weekend. Balmy 35 degrees, and light winds, so did it!
4574.jpg

4576.jpg

10 is coming in at the mid to upper 70's (Slightly south of where antenna is aimed) and 8 (off the back slightly to the south) is also upper 70.
DB4 also replaces the yagi w/ corner reflector. The yagi must have some problem(s) as 4(RF38), normally only a few points weaker than 11, would totally disappear now and then while 11(RF44) would only drop to the mid 70's from a high of near 80. Both are within 1 degree at 55 miles.
The DB4 has both of these in the low 80's. Aimed due south, PBS 16.1-4 (16) & 2.1(15) is 30+ degrees to the east.
It is also receiving 15.1 (Rf 19), S.E. of Fargo, continuously since installation at a signal level in the lower 70"s, at a whopping 115 miles. Occasionally dropping down to the 40's and breaking up. No sign of 6 (Rf 21) N.E.of Fargo at a distance of 82 miles.
Both antennas individually run to a RCA TVPRAMP1R that's mounted to the electrical conduit at rear of house. Talk about grounded. YIKES.
CALL Channel ERP kW Azimuth Distance
KRDK 4(38) 382 189 64.2
WDAZ 8 19.3 265 40.3
KBRR 10 9.3 122 28.5
KVLY 11(44) 365 187 59.5
KCGE 16 105 265 28.5
KVRR 15(19) 1000 158 115
also get 2.1(15) but it's a copy of 16.3 same tx site as 16. 22.6Kw ERP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)