Viacom and DISH reached agreement?

Cool. Hopefully this will mean Viacom HDs in the next few weeks, along with LOGO, and 24 hr The N and Noggin, along with the end of Nick GAS.

Comedy Central HD and Spike have long been at the top of my list.

Unfortunately, the story includes
The Hollywood Reporter said:
Final financial terms of the new carriage arrangement were still subject to negotiations as of late Wednesday

This is good news. So how long before we get some in HD?

Well without being privy to the exact terms of an agreement that has yet to be nailed down, is there any reason to believe that it would include HD versions of the channels? Dish carries Viacom stations now without their HD counterparts, and it was mentioned that this agreement would avoid a sudden shutdown of current ongoing service.

So I just thought I'd throw out another question that no one here is in a position to answer definitively. :)

Well without being privy to the exact terms of an agreement that has yet to be nailed down, is there any reason to believe that it would include HD versions of the channels? Dish carries Viacom stations now without their HD counterparts, and it was mentioned that this agreement would avoid a sudden shutdown of current ongoing service.

So I just thought I'd throw out another question that no one here is in a position to answer definitively. :)

Why would E* give up leverage by agreeing to a deal that wouldn't include HD, especially when a rate increase was involved.

They wouldn't , And last I heard HD cost nothing over the SD Version from the networks. But it cost the providers $$$ to broadcast HD,satellites,and not having enough space.

That might be a good point. Check out this announcement regarding Viacom and ATT / U-Verse's recent agreement where HD carriage is explicitly mentioned:

AT&T's U-verse TV service has reached a distribution deal to continue carrying Viacom's networks, but also includes adding new HD and international channels as well....

Viacom deal brings AT&T new HD, CruiseCast networks - Related Stories - USTelecom dailyLead

Dish has specifically said they are looking to carry the Viacom networks in HD.

Also, the existing contract isn't up yet. Why would Charlie negotiate a higher rate when he doesn't have to? Answer, he has to to the get access to the HD versions.

Lacking HD deals with Viacom, Fox, Rainbow, and Comcast are Charlies biggest obstacle to selling TurboHD. Vicom is the biggest on that list.

I have no doubt this is for HD carriage.

Dish has specifically said they are looking to carry the Viacom networks in HD.

Also, the existing contract isn't up yet. Why would Charlie negotiate a higher rate when he doesn't have to? Answer, he has to to the get access to the HD versions.

Lacking HD deals with Viacom, Fox, Rainbow, and Comcast are Charlies biggest obstacle to selling TurboHD. Vicom is the biggest on that list.

I have no doubt this is for HD carriage.
I agree it's common sense to assume the HD carriage is included, but remember this is Dish we're talking about. Maybe the higher rate is adjusted for inflation??

Until we see a press release with similar language to the U-Verse one, or ultimately see those HD channels in our guide, who knows for sure??

I figured there was something up with those LTD (take down) slates that were poised and ready to go that were slid in next to a few Viacom channels in the 100's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)