Video and No Audio or Audio and No Video

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JusJim

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
We switched from Dish to Direct about 5 months ago. With Dish we had the 2 connections coming from the box going to the TV. It's been 7 or 8 years since I set this up, but I think one was HDMI, and one was using the 3 colored connectors....whatever that's called. On the TV we could get a signal on two different settings...one called "DTV 1080i Standard" and the other is called "Monolink which either shows 480i Standard or 1080i Standard" (I'll explain the difference later, and I don't remember what it used to always show).

When we switched to Direct the installer set everything up and made all the connections, and everything had been working fine until recently. We went on vacation the first week of August, and when we got back and turned on the TV the trouble started. On DTV we had video but no audio, and on MONOLINK we had audio and no video (just a black screen), and it showed MONOLINK 480i Standard.

I finally hit the receiver reset and this allowed us to get video and audio both on the MONOLINK setting which now showed MONOLINK 1080i Standard (instead of 480i Standard). The DTV setting was the same as before, Video but no audio.

After turning off the TV, it goes back to the original problem of audio on one and video on the other. I have to reset the receiver to get the audio and video both to show on the MONOLINK output.

So basically anytime we turn off the TV/Direct Box we have to reset the receiver to be able to view any programming.

Just a couple of side notes....

Audio and video both work fine when playing xbox.

All the cables seem to be securely connected.

Below are a couple of settings that might be relevant?
Software 0x57c - Thu 8/9
SWM Firmware 2.0.24

I have no idea what MONOLINK is. What is it connected to? If you have an HDMI cable, that's all you need as it carries audio and video. Can you describe your setup, what cables are connected to the Directv box and where they go to?

If I remember right MONOLINK was simply a "choice" that we were given by the TV when we chose "names" for the various inputs.

Looked at the back of the TV/Box.

Single cable coming in from outside that goes to a small box laying on the floor (which incidentally when I picked it up I heard the audio stop working on the TV...when I looked at the TV it said something about "no signal detected"???). A second cable comes out of this box and goes to the main Directv box.

HDMI cable goes from back of box to the TV.

RGB cables go from back of box to the TV.

I remember when the Tech was here that he never had to do anything to the back of the TV. He used the cables (HDMI & RGB) that were already connected to the TV, and just connected them to the appropriate places on the cable box.

Since everything was working fine it really makes me think that some setting may have gotten changed during an update or something?

JusJim said:
If I remember right MONOLINK was simply a "choice" that we were given by the TV when we chose "names" for the various inputs.

Looked at the back of the TV/Box.

Single cable coming in from outside that goes to a small box laying on the floor (which incidentally when I picked it up I heard the audio stop working on the TV...when I looked at the TV it said something about "no signal detected"???). A second cable comes out of this box and goes to the main Directv box.

HDMI cable goes from back of box to the TV.

RGB cables go from back of box to the TV.

I remember when the Tech was here that he never had to do anything to the back of the TV. He used the cables (HDMI & RGB) that were already connected to the TV, and just connected them to the appropriate places on the cable box.

Since everything was working fine it really makes me think that some setting may have gotten changed during an update or something?

That little black box, does it have a green light on it? If so this is your power inserter that's why it popped up no signal detected. You may have other issues than just your audio/video problems. Try making sure all connections are tight

Yup, it sounds like your power inserter has a loose connection. Also, like I said, all you need from the Directv box to the tv is the hdmi cable.

I re-checked all my connections, including the "power inserter". Turned off everything and no go. Had to do the reset thingie again.

And I was wondering about your comment that all I needed was the HDMI cable. Our tv allows for PIP (which we seldom use) so wouldn't I need that RGB connections to be able to utilize that function if we ever wanted too?

Right now I believe it's the RGB connection that is providing the only good output for us to get audio and video together. I believe the output on the TV that says DTV is the one connected with the HDMI cable, and we can only get video on that output. Even after doing the reset we still have no audio on that output.

The PIP won't work with Directv's receiver anyways. You're only able to see 1 tuner at a time. (unless you have a 34) and even then you still only need an HDMI cable to get everything. Try moving the HDMI cable to another slot on the tv and see what happens

If I remember right there's only 1 HDMI connection on the TV. This TV is about 7 or 8 years old.

I re-checked all my connections, including the "power inserter". Turned off everything and no go. Had to do the reset thingie again.

And I was wondering about your comment that all I needed was the HDMI cable. Our tv allows for PIP (which we seldom use) so wouldn't I need that RGB connections to be able to utilize that function if we ever wanted too?

Right now I believe it's the RGB connection that is providing the only good output for us to get audio and video together. I believe the output on the TV that says DTV is the one connected with the HDMI cable, and we can only get video on that output. Even after doing the reset we still have no audio on that output.

When you say RGB, do you mean red, green, blue cables? If so, they don't carry audio. If you have sound using those cables, you must have an audio cable connected, too. If you aren't getting audio from the HDMI connection, then there is most likely a problem with the cable or the connection. Have you checked to be sure it's well seated? How is the xbox connected?

Edit: It just occurred to me that the RGB cables might be connected to the red, white, and yellow output/inputs. Could that be?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)