Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Has anyone else been experiencing the video briefly going black on UniversalHD lately? I've been seeing this on my ViP 211 for the last few days and I wondered if it was related to Dish switching this channel over to the new MPEG4 encoder. I searched but didn't see anyone else mention this happening.

Edit: I need to add that this affects the video only; audio shows no ill effects from this blackout.
Edit: DirecTV HD subscribers have not seen this.
Edit: This problem seems confined to the UniversalHD feed on 61.5?, not 129?

Last edited:
Foxbat - I haven't noticed it. But not recording Firefly anymore. Watched Stargate Atlantis with no problems. And gonna watch surface soon...

I was watching Surface and BSG and the blackouts occurred quite often. Knowing that it's happening to others, I'll give Dish a call.

I've seen it. It happens in a blink of an eye multiple times on occasion. VIP622 L366 here.

I wonder if anyone with DirecTV can verify that this is an issue with UniversalHD. The CSR at DishNetwork said that Dish is aware of the issue and that they think it is coming from the broadcaster (Universal). I think it's related to the switch to the new MPEG4 encoding (at least the timing seems suspicious), but if it was, then the other channel(s) going through that encoder should be having problems, too.

Just watched DVR of Surface, Conviction, and BSG. No problems.

I get UHD on 129.

Off topic, but BSG looks great in mpeg4!:)

Yeah, I'm not seeing it now. It's either fixed or intermittent. I noticed it very frequently during Ghostbusters II last night and some other movie (I think it was "1941") this morning. Didn't see it at all on BSG.

...Off topic, but BSG looks great in mpeg4!:)
I agree. That is truly a beautiful series for HD & big screen. I even like the intentional grain. Absolutely beautiful!

I get UHD on 129.
Hmmm, I didn't think about that, I'm getting mine from 61.5?. I guess I thought that Dish would take the UniversalHD signal, encode it using MPEG4, then distribute it to the Uplink Centers where it would be muxed with the other channels being uplinked on that transponder. But maybe there are two MPEG4 encoders for UnivHD, one for each satellite, and the problem is with the one at the 61.5? uplink center.

Update: I'm watching Patch Adams right now and I've seen two examples in the last ten minutes. :(

Last edited:
Hmmm, I didn't think about that, I'm getting mine from 61.5?. I guess I thought that Dish would take the UniversalHD signal, encode it using MPEG4, then distribute it to the Uplink Centers where it would be muxed with the other channels being uplinked on that transponder. But maybe there are two MPEG4 encoders for UnivHD, one for each satellite, and the problem is with the one at the 61.5? uplink center.

Update: I'm watching Patch Adams right now and I've seen two examples in the last ten minutes. :(

They are indeed different. The A&E mux on 129w has another MPEG4 test channel mixed in. 61.5 does not.

I checked the mux on 61.5 and 129 for 10-15 minutes a piece and did not see any continuity errors. I'd turn any reports you guys have to dish quality. I'm sure someone can dig up the email address around here.

The video blackouts are still here. I'm watching the PGA Shell Houston Open right now and I've counted at least ten instances in the last seven minutes.

Do I want to send this thread to quality@dishnetwork.com?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)