Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Check out this video shot on, edited on and uploaded from an iPhone 4.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/12819723]"Apple of My Eye" - an iPhone 4 film on Vimeo[/ame]

I was surprised how good the video was on my iphone 3GS when I used it as a video camera. I wonder if I will bring out the video camera very much any more now that the iPhone 4 does HD. It is always a pain to remember and drag out the video camera.

mike123abc said:
I was surprised how good the video was on my iphone 3GS when I used it as a video camera. I wonder if I will bring out the video camera very much any more now that the iPhone 4 does HD. It is always a pain to remember and drag out the video camera.

Impressive. I haven't played with video much yet, but that's pretty sweet quality.

It's nice to have an HD camcorder always with me in my pocket. However, without zoom and without any stabilization, I don't find it too practical for home videos. Perhaps just for some YouTube-style video clips.

Nice video...you can just pop out the micro SD card, and put it in a PC and/or media player TV to watch it on the big screen....errr...wait...nevermind.
Yeah, it's so much more difficult to attach the phone to the computer via USB and let it automatically transfer the video. Not to mention that a large number of computers don't have micro SD ports...

As soon as it started, I knew that the iPhone was mounted on some tripod or dolly. I played with a 4 that one of my coworkers had picked up and the iPhone 4 video is definitely NOT image-stabalized. I'm not sure how much shake iMovie would take out.

The one thing I take away from this piece is how much depth of field the camera has. I thought the model trains were full-size or larger scale than they really were! Overall, a great demonstration of what people can do with the latest iPhone.

Very nice that such can be done on an iPhone, esp the editing. However, I still wonder about the PQ on a 61" screen, even though it says 720p. Anyone moved it to a big TV to watch?

I still wonder about the PQ on a 61" screen, even though it says 720p. Anyone moved it to a big TV to watch?

Sparked my curiosity too-

HD from Vimeo was great when the shots were very still and full lighting. Low light was extremely grainy, so much that it was what I would say not viewable. Most of the pans and push pulls ( caused frame to frame updating that the iphone just is incapable of processing )were failing in full video frame rate at times dropping to 4-6 FPS.
All the above is an evaluation of the equipment- iPhone, for HD not the shooting, editing, or story. Shot in HD on the iphone but displayed in small screen SD is where this shines. IMO, iPhone is nowhere near even home video quality for HD.

I used a computer to do the display the HD Vimeo file. I may try to use a PS3 later for evaluation on a different platform.

I like the video but not overall impressed with the quality. My Droid doesn't shoot in HD but does nice job on video. It would be nice to edit on the phone. I will give Apple that credit. They have great video editing software.

Sparked my curiosity too-

HD from Vimeo was great when the shots were very still and full lighting. Low light was extremely grainy, so much that it was what I would say not viewable. Most of the pans and push pulls ( caused frame to frame updating that the iphone just is incapable of processing )were failing in full video frame rate at times dropping to 4-6 FPS.
All the above is an evaluation of the equipment- iPhone, for HD not the shooting, editing, or story. Shot in HD on the iphone but displayed in small screen SD is where this shines. IMO, iPhone is nowhere near even home video quality for HD.

I used a computer to do the display the HD Vimeo file. I may try to use a PS3 later for evaluation on a different platform.

Edit- Entry is beimg made on PS3. The video in HD didn't look any better on the 110" screen in "iphone4 HD" Some other Vimeo HD videos looked better and didn't have the reduced frame speed and had better low lighgt but overall Vimeo isn't as good as real HD movies on Blue Ray anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)