video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD, Eastern Arc

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I sent this off at the beginning of the week to DishQuality and I haven't got a reply from them yet, which is uncharacteristic, and the problem is still there, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes that either DIRT will be able to do something about it or someone will tell me that it's just my system, as unlikely as that seems:

For several weeks, I've been seeing a video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD on the Eastern Arc. The problem consists of flickering green and purple noise on the left and right edges of the picture, smaller than macroblocking artifacts and not as colorful. I don't think it's a weak-signal problem because it manifests only at the edges of the picture, and I don't think it's a problem in my equipment because the noise freezes when I pause the program.

These do not appear on our known channel issues list and I don't recall seeing them in the past couple of weeks. What is your signal strength on 72.7 transponder 19?

I'm not seeing any problem at the moment for MTVHD, it is ongoing or sporadic? I can't check SYFY on the EA because it's one of the channels I get on 119 not 72.

Signal strength is 48. Currently SyFy has an intermittent line of bad pixels down the left side of the screen, but MTV has nearly continuous bad pixels in the lower-left corner and sometimes in the lower-right corner. Anyone else checking, please make sure that your screen is in dot-for-dot mode, not overscan, as the problem areas are very close to the edge of the picture at the moment. (Although they always stay near the edge, I've seen them further out at other times than they are right now.)

Signal strength is 48. Currently SyFy has an intermittent line of bad pixels down the left side of the screen, but MTV has nearly continuous bad pixels in the lower-left corner and sometimes in the lower-right corner. Anyone else checking, please make sure that your screen is in dot-for-dot mode, not overscan, as the problem areas are very close to the edge of the picture at the moment. (Although they always stay near the edge, I've seen them further out at other times than they are right now.)

Are you seeing this on one or multiple receivers?

Not yet, but I'm having trouble imagining why it would only cause a problem on two channels, and only on moving images.

Only reason I am asking is because it's not on our list and doesn't appear anyone else is having this issue. Your signal is fine, so that leaves the receiver or cabling.

I can vouch for Jim,I watch Helix on Syfy,those same little flickering dots or whatever they may be,affect it.It's on the left side of the screen,this is on a 612 receiver.

I can vouch for Jim,I watch Helix on Syfy,those same little flickering dots or whatever they may be,affect it.It's on the left side of the screen,this is on a 612 receiver.

Then I will need account numbers, receiver numbers that it's happening on and software versions so I can submit some technical problem reports to get this escalated.

Last edited:

Thank you! Given that we don't even have the same receivers, I'm going to guess that this is a case of an encoder needing to be rebooted or something, and people aren't seeing it because their TVs are too small / too far away / overscanning / poorly-calibrated, or something. (Although, I'm also seeing it on Dish Anywhere! I don't know why I didn't think to check that a long time ago.) But I PM'd the information to Zach to see what happens. (I'm still bothered by the fact that I didn't even get a reply asking for more info from DishQuality. They've always been right on top of my complaints any other time.)

Upon closer inspection I have discovered a few more channels to add.

MTV
CMT
BBCA
Comedy Central
Nickelodeon

The difference is the pixels/artifacts are at the bottom of the screen.If I get time and my wife will let go of her 722 remote,I'll check it as well.

Jim can you check those channels I mentioned to see if you get the same results?

Never on BBCA, we watch often. Rarely watch the others.

I don't see it even now on any channel you listed. (Again can't check SYFY on EA) I have 60" TV and even looking up close I do not see it at all.
My TV is set to "Just Scan" (Actual pixel for pixel not 16X9) VIP612

I sent this off at the beginning of the week to DishQuality and I haven't got a reply from them yet, which is uncharacteristic, and the problem is still there, so I thought I'd post it here in hopes that either DIRT will be able to do something about it or someone will tell me that it's just my system, as unlikely as that seems:

For several weeks, I've been seeing a video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD on the Eastern Arc. The problem consists of flickering green and purple noise on the left and right edges of the picture, smaller than macroblocking artifacts and not as colorful. I don't think it's a weak-signal problem because it manifests only at the edges of the picture, and I don't think it's a problem in my equipment because the noise freezes when I pause the program.

Same issue.
000_0491.JPG

Video of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYstdDjhpGM

Last edited:
Upon closer inspection I have discovered a few more channels to add.

MTV
CMT
BBCA
Comedy Central
Nickelodeon

The difference is the pixels/artifacts are at the bottom of the screen.If I get time and my wife will let go of her 722 remote,I'll check it as well.

Jim can you check those channels I mentioned to see if you get the same results?

The problem is being more subtle now than it was, but I'm seeing it on all the channels you listed except Nick, which is showing a program with black bars on the sides.

Watched the video, no question about it, I do not see that at all. If you have your TV set to Just Scan set it to 16X9 and see if it still appears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)