video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD, Eastern Arc

annnnnnnnnd bingo was your name'o...

Also if you have your TVs picture mode in anything other than FULL PIXEL (or whatever else full pixel mode may be named on other TVs) you won't see these artifacts. I've been putting my TV in Normal mode to crop the noise out of my image but I shouldn't have to do this to watch TV.
^ This...

As ohioankev and others have mentioned, to see the pixel corruption, the viewer's HDTV needs to be set to it's native "1:1 pixel mapping" mode.

Wikipedia explains what "1:1 pixel mapping" is, far better than I:

"A monitor that has been set to 1:1 pixel mapping will display an input source without scaling it, such that each pixel received is mapped to a single native pixel on the monitor.
This technique avoids loss of sharpness due to scaling artifacts and normally avoids incorrect aspect ratio due to stretching."

If the viewer's HDTV is set to anything other than it's native "1:1 pixel mapping" mode, OverScan is occurring.

OverScanning enlarges the incoming picture, so that when it is viewed, the actual picture is cropped a bit on the top/bottom and left/right sides. Thus, the corruption some of us are seeing is not visible.

I feel this is why there are not as many complaints about the artifacts as there could be.

Went to each channel on my 612's, went to both EA and WA and changed TV aspect between Pixel for Pixel where I keep it (And where it should be) and 16X9. I'm just not seeing any of what has been seen by some. I'm using my 55" LG TV. Briefly tried on my smaller LG 32" on two channels and still nothing. And nothing on Dishanywhere.
(On my mixed EA I disconnected 119 and did a check switch so that all channels were from the EA)

The most interesting part is that someone reproduced it with Dishanywhere. Makes it point to something about those particular 612's.

The most interesting part is that someone reproduced it with Dishanywhere. Makes it point to something about those particular 612's.

:confused: If you can get a Sling Adapter to function on your 612's, your a better man than I!

Lmao ---- Seeing your post I realize I somehow deleted part of mine when I posted aside from missing a word also.

"And nothing on Dishanywhere using my Sister in law's account on EA" should have been that sentence. Then it should read "Makes it NOT point to something about those particular 612's"

Bottom line - It just seems random and happening to a very few here, but Dishanywhere seeing it makes it that much harder to figure out.

Dish tech just left my house, he replaced the LNB......problem stayed, he thought it might be the house coaxial so he ran a line from the box on the side of the house straight to the hopper.....problem stayed.

He then told me that I would have to either put the dish on the peak of my house or cut down the trees in my back yard so that he could point to a different satellite (I'm assuming he wants to switch me to the western arc).
I told him no thank you and that was that. He said that was my only option.

So.......now just wait for Dish to fix this?

Last edited:
List...

Someone should put a list together or everyone with the issue should post their receiver model, software, and EA/WA info so that DIRT can get it escalated with enough info to duplicate and fix it.

Good idea...
I see that v3bahumut has started the list...
so... I'll add mine...
The next person with info can add to it...

v3bahumut said:
Receiver: Hopper with sling
Software: S342 NDGD
Sat: Easter Arc

Stormy_2021 said:
Receiver: ViP 222 (Silver)
Software: L509

Last edited:
Adding mine to the list

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by v3bahumut
Receiver: Hopper with sling
Software: S342 NDGD

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Stormy_2021
Receiver: ViP 222 (Silver)
Software: L509

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ohioankev
Receiver: Hopper 2000
Software: S431 NACB
Sat: Eastern Arc

Well, My BBC america shows are back on now (Orphan Black) and they are quite annoying to watch. BBC has the distortions across the entire bottom where Comedy Central and SyFy had them across the left and right sides.

I can't think of any solution that makes sense, but has anyone tried component instead of HDMI?

I am certain this issue is not in the receiver, cables, LNB, HDMI cable, component cable or any other hardware. This is the way it is being sent by Dish. The reason many/most are not seeing it is because most TVs have just enough built-in overscan that it hides the problem off the edge of the screen. My Hitachi 42" plasma's regular setting hides the artifacts. After reading this thread I put it on the "no overscan mode" and sure enough, the artifacts are clearly visible on the bottom left on MTV, and the left side on SyFy.

Looking at the manual for my hitachi, it states that the no overscan mode can reveal artifacts and other distracting issues in the picture. On some 4x3 channels I see the CC line (the video line where the CC info is encoded) flashing away at the top of the screen in this mode. That is not a Dish issue. It's just the way it is. However this little artifact we are discussing is something else.

My info:
Dish receiver 622
L730
Eastern Arc

Reactions: Stormy_2021
You said it with much more explanation, but that is what I said it would have to be the TV. But we have I think two people saying they see it with Dishanywhere. If that's true that seems to complicate the reason. That being said, of all the many posters here there are virtually a handful or so that see it. I can't on any of my TV's on either ARC, either using Pixel for Pixel or not. The only time I see similar is what you referred to when it's a 4X3 transmitted picture.

Just an update...

I was watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Comedy Central HD at 3:30 am Friday morning...
Episode (Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth)

The pixel corruption was really bad...
On the right side on my TV, there was a full 2 inches of pulsating green mess from top to bottom...
and that would jump out to 6-8 inches on occasion...

Worst I've seen so far :(...

Just an update...

I was watching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Comedy Central HD at 3:30 am Friday morning...
Episode (Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth)

The pixel corruption was really bad...
On the right side on my TV, there was a full 2 inches of pulsating green mess from top to bottom...
and that would jump out to 6-8 inches on occasion...

Worst I've seen so far :(...

I saw the same corruption in January on a recording of Teen Wolf. Once I buy another external drive and back up the shows I want to keep I'm going to give DISH a call. I can handle the low corruption on the left hand side -- at least until blurays hit the bargain bin price -- but the right side corruption is just insane.

You shouldn't have to switch receivers though -- at least not until Dish can actually define what receivers are having the problem, which they seem unable to do!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)