VideoCipher C-band dishes decline

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wescopc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 11, 2005
Canby, Oregon
From SkyREPORT today:

C-BAND -- The number of VideoCipher-enabled C-band dishes fell to 51,489 in June, according to data from Access Control Center - the Motorola Group responsible for tracking the information. Gross additions totaled 17, leaving a year-long net authorization number of -39,368. For more information, call ACC at 858.404.2400.

Bob

I find these numbers difficult to believe. Is there a Digicipher figure available from NPS or someone? I would think lately there seems to be a sellers market for 4DTV receivers. Ebay listings for such equipment sells for big money. The gamble of getting working units is another issue. It seems like a dumping ground for junk.

I really think we could have a reincarnation with these 4DTV receivers. If they would just relocate the EPG data to G16-X4, most people could get away with only a 90cm dish. I could see this as a good alternative to the DISH or DTV options. I hope somebody out there is listening.

Now if there was only another manufacturer licensed to build receivers other than Motorola at a reasonable cost. Competition instead of monopoly.

Actually, 4DTV does both Videocipher and Digicipher. When they first introduced it they were going to call it "Triple Play" because it would do DC, VC and in the clear analog. I forget why they changed it to 4DTV.

here's a quote from big dish.info
When you add the 4DTV receiver to you big dish system, you'll be able to receiver four types of satellite signals:

"In the clear" (free programming)

Analog "VideoCipher® "broadcast (subscription channels)

The new free digital DigiCipher® broadcast

The encrypted digital DigiCipher® broadcast

probably sounded like more with 4 (thats just a guess on my part)
and after i posted this , it brought into question about the VC free channels (not listed above so that would make it 5) so , i guess its anyone ideal

From SkyREPORT today:

C-BAND -- The number of VideoCipher-enabled C-band dishes fell to 51,489 in June, according to data from Access Control Center - the Motorola Group responsible for tracking the information. Gross additions totaled 17, leaving a year-long net authorization number of -39,368. For more information, call ACC at 858.404.2400.

Bob

These doomsday quotes are out there all the time. I have learned to ignore them. They never post the digicipher totals just the VC-2. There isn't much left on Vc-2 anyway , most have migrated to Dc-2. 4DTV is far from dead so don't let the Vc numbers bother you :)

In May, NPS had over 58,000 customers and many of them did not have an analog subscription. It seems the general trend is to put as many movie channels and programs as possible on 4DTV - Ku, X4 satellite. This may be in an effort to duplicate the channel line-up of the pizza dishes and then try to compete with DTV and E* on an ala-carte basis. I know lots of people hate paying for 100's of channels they don't even watch.

Another component of tracking just VCII subscriptions is, of course, money. When the powers in charge of satellites see that the analog subscriptions have dropped to a certain level, they can then go to Congress and tell them it's no longer profitable for an analog subscription service and lobby to make laws requiring all satellite transmissions to be digital. Digital means more channels per satellite, more uplink and downlink fees and more people having to buy digital receivers. It's like OTA TV that is now required to go from analog to digital. It's not like this change is necessary but it's a great marketing plan.

well NPS Just Got A New Customer Today I Subed to HBO. CineMax . Starz . and some Digital Channels. Got My 4dtv Tuned great . signal 96. Quality 89 and some 99 on other channel's

I used to sub through Netlink. I got tired of them calling me to say that C band was ending every time a channel went to 4DTV. They are partnered with "you know who". At every attempt they pushed hard to get me to switch over. I was waiting for Charlie Ergen to call next.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)