Viewing channels 1 & 2 on same tv with 722

morttormjch

Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
PA
I have read the diagrams to extend the UHF antenna on my 722 and that works fine (Thank You!!). I'm now trying to take this 1 step further where I also combine channels 1 & 2 and then switch the receiving channel on the remote tv to watch either channel. Everything works fine except that I can't get the remote for channel 1 to work in a remote location other than the room the receiver is located. Is the external UHF antenna used for both channels 1 & 2? If so, any suggestions why it doesn't work? If not, is there a way to extend what I assume to be an internal antenna? Basically I'm trying to make either channel work on any tv in the house and I can't get the channel 1 remote working past the same room as the receiver. Thanks

You need to get an UHF remote for TV1. The TV1 remote that comes with the 722 is IR only>

You will need another uhf#2 remote then you can pull out the 2 tab and flip it over to 1then program the remote address to the same address as your existing #1 remote and your up and runninga

Just as a point of order or FYI ... if you flip your remote over ... you should see the model/type on the bottom of all the newer remotes.. like with what you have, you will see 1 is 20.0 IR ... the other 21.0 IR/UHF Pro ... if it doesn't have a UHF on it .. its going to be IR .... and IR meaning InfraRed (only) .... IR can only operate within visual range of a device. You can get an IR extender (it reads IR, converts it to a radio wave or adapts across a thin wire, to a remote transmitter that emits it back out as IR)

Thank you all for your quick answers!!! You are dead-on about the remotes. I'll pick up another IR/UHF, make the change, and I'll be good to go!!! Thanks again!!!

Update: I have a 625 receiver and now know I want to control TV1 and TV2 by UHF

I just got my new remote today, a model 6.4 IR/UHF Pro. The #2 side of the tab is marked "UHF Pro", the other side (black no number) is just marked "UHF". It also has an "A - B" slide switch under the battery cover. After reading everyone's very helpful comments, I now understand what I am trying to do. I am trying to run both my TV1 & TV 2 by UHF instead of TV1 by IR and TV2 UHF. I would actually love to control TV1 by both IR and UHF but don't mind getting another UHF remote if I can't. I can see in my receiver that TV1 is set to IR and I don't know how or if I can change that. I made a mistake on the receiver, it is a 625, my bad!!! Can this or any of Dish's receivers be programmed such that both TVs work on UHF? I will gladly change receivers if necessary. Thanks again and I look forward to your expert opinions!!!

You can definitely control TV1 on a 625 with a UHF Pro 6.0 remote since I did it. You can also definitely control TV1 on a 722 with a UHF Pro 6.3 remote since I did that as well. Not sure about the 6.4 with a 625, but I think the answer is "Yes", at least with one tab or another.

Programming TV1 as UHF is possible with 625, just requires a bit more work.

First of all, you need the correct tab/key in the remote

remotekeys.JPG

In this case it's the green tab, with the GREEN #1 that says UHF pro next to it (please note there is a tab with a BLACK 1, which you do not want).

On the front of the receiver, or with the old remote press menu-system setup(6)-Installation(1)-TV1 UHF Pro Setup(6)

Make sure the feature is enabled, then from the same screen select the "system info" option on the right.

On the system info screen, you will need to use the front panel buttons (arrows) on the receiver to highlight TV1's remote address (located in field i, it will be orange when it's highlighted). When the remote address is highlighted, press the record button 3 times on the UHF remote (the 6.3 you just received) and ideally the remote should now work TV1 as UHF. Note: The receiver will not let the primary and secondary remote addresses be the same number, so you may need to change it (hold sat til all lights flash, press a number 1-15 on the keypad, then press #), then press record 3 times again.

Hope this does the trick, and also that I didn't forget anything (don't think I did).

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
Wanted to post one more thing... had to get off that last post count

:dev:dev:dev:dev:dev:rainbow

Also remote band A is for all rcvrs band B will only work with VIP rcvrs. If you get a 21.0 remote for the 625 you will have to use an odd number address to get band A.

Sent from my EVO using SatelliteGuys

Thank you all!!

Thank you all for your advice! I do have a question for MattG. The remote I received has a blue and a black side. The Blue side has a 2 and UHF Pro on it. The Black side just has UHF with what resembles a rainbow over it (just lines in the plastic, no colors) going from the U to the F if that makes sense. I don't have a green side and I don't have a side with #1. The number on the back of the remote is 140077. I'm not sure what that number is but assume it means something otherwise it wouldn't be there. There is either an 8 or a B on the black side of the little tab that gets inserted into the remote. That's all I can find.

Where did you get the remote from? When it's ordered from DISH directly, it should come with all of the tabs/keys so that you can put the needed one in.

If you can not find the #1 UHF tab, you can program the remote with the #2 side it with the steps I posted above. Just make sure you change the primary remote's address by highlighting it before hitting record. Once you get it programmed, I would mark it or something so you don't get both of your remotes confused.

Bought off Amazon

You're right Matt...I tried to save a few bucks and bought it off Amazon.com ( Amazon.com: DISH Network 6.4 UHF PRO Remote: Electronics ) The one in the picture appears to be the exact model I have based on the black 2 on the blue tab. I am thinking of switching receivers (my current account in ex-wife's name). Is there a better receiver that would allow UHF control of TV1 and TV2 and also have DVR capability? HD not a big concern now, but could be in the future.

morttormjch said:
You're right Matt...I tried to save a few bucks and bought it off Amazon.com ( Amazon.com: DISH Network 6.4 UHF PRO Remote: Electronics ) The one in the picture appears to be the exact model I have based on the black 2 on the blue tab. I am thinking of switching receivers (my current account in ex-wife's name). Is there a better receiver that would allow UHF control of TV1 and TV2 and also have DVR capability? HD not a big concern now, but could be in the future.

The only duo dvrs are the 522, 625, 622, 722, 722k, and 922 only the first two are sd

Sent from my EVO using SatelliteGuys

I had 522 rcvr's in my account, and I have setup 625 rcvr's for others. These are SD boxes but you can set both TV1 and TV2 to work with a 6.0 or 6.3, 6.4 remotes with a blue 2 tab. One remote will work both TV1 & 2 just by setting the address of the primary (TV1) and secondary (TV2) to different numbers. TV 1 has to be enabled for UHF first. Then just change the remote address for the TV output you want to use.
The newer HD receivers require separate remotes for TV 1 and 2. You could use one 6.3 or 6.4 remote but you would have to change the tab at the bottom. That's a PITA though. The 21.0 remotes that come with the 722 are a bit more expensive and I find it easier to have a black 21.0 remote for TV1 and a silver 6.3 remote for TV2, a bit less confusing for others in the household. The 922 remotes are a different animal all together.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)