ViewSat Blind Scan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cold Winter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Gents:

Heres my situation. I have the ViewSat platinum which I upgraded to the latest manufacturer firmware ( the old stuff was flaky on motor control ), hooked up to a STAB120 supporting a Fortec 120cm dish with an InvaCom Univeral LNB ( single tail ). Theres about 250' of 60% RG6U in between.

A blind scan on G-10R ( Galaxy 10R ) gets me 19 stations which appear to correspond to 11700V26660. Sounds good:hungry: ? Well, not really. The ViewSat reports this as 12650V26600:devil: Perhaps you can see my problem???

While a blind scan on the ViewSat appears to find 16 TPs, the GlobalCom listing only has 9... and there is absolutely NO correspondence between the 2 lists:eek: . Yes, I know this is G10R, 'cuz I get the test pattern which has the G10R tag on it...

Any ideas on the frequency discrepancies? I thought maybe the universal LNB running a different LO might be the problem, but the ViewSat immedaitely recognized the universal and automatically plugged in 9750/10600. And no, as you can see the difference between the list and the ViewSat blindscan cannot possibly be a different beat freq. Theres more than 150Mhz difference here.

Any ideas???

what LNB are you using?

If the LO frequency is set wrong, it will do that

standard LNB-10750
Universal-9750/10600

SNH-031 InvaCom model. And it was automatically set to 9750/10600 by the ViewSat. Of course, maybe the S/W is still flaky, and misplaces the LO even though it has the right numbers.

Very weird.

Iceberg said:

:D Yeah, I'm almost inclined to get the sources for this box and rewrite it myself. Very nice H/W. Hope their next rev of firmware has other "improvements"...soon... ;)

Tron said:
Check www.lyngsat.com/america.html Blind scan often finds frequencies that are "off" from what they are officially posted as, but usually not by that much.

No Kidding!:D

Well, the saga continues. When I plugged in 10750, like Ice suggested ( just in case Invacom was messing with me and sold and labeled a standard as a universal ) BlindScan found the very same TP, only up in the 13Ghz range:eek: ... yeah... well outside typical Ku satellite range.

Sorry to say this most recent revision of ViewSat S/W ( 2013 ) is pretty buggy. In frustration, I surfed about and came across another satellite board which seemed to imply that the ViewSat could even be used as a C Band STB! They simply dropped in a freq. that was down in the C-Band range and use a C-Band LNB/VBox setup on a BUD. They also indicated it was possible to plug in any freq. you want via keypad... the site in question was beginning to sound like a "hack" site to me:devil: . Sorry I won't go any further on those guys. But they got me to thinking...

I entered 9750 in the LNB high freq field and kept 9750 in the LNB low field. Instantly, the signal and quality meters on the screen when green and hit the limits. I then did an ordinary "Channel Scan" of the stuff thats manually entered by ViewSat, and pretty much acquired every channel documented on LyngSat for G-10R and a few that weren't.

Sounds pretty good eh? Other than the weird LNB freq entry, the ViewSat was tracking all freqs. EXACTLY! I went off and pulled in IA5 just for the fun of it in the same way. For the time being I have more TV and Radio than I can absorb in the next few months.:hungry:

Well, before you go off thinking "one more happy camper"... NOT QUITE:( Simple truth , is that even with this "break thru", the BlindScan sucks the big one. It could only find 19 channels on one TP before, and it still can't do any better:confused: . It couldn't do anything with the other satellites before and still can't ( though at least the 19 it found were now on the right freq. :rolleyes: ).

Now would any one like to speculate on why ViewSat would insert 9750/10600 automatically on a universal LNB ( just like you'd expect ) and have it so far off the real entry point? And why would BlindScan be so... ummm... well... blind? Almost like its scanning to fast to get a lock... :confused:

My experience is different

Cold Winter said:
No Kidding!:D
Well, the saga continues. When I plugged in 10750, like Ice suggested ( just in case Invacom was messing with me and sold and labeled a standard as a universal ) BlindScan found the very same TP, only up in the 13Ghz range:eek: ... yeah... well outside typical Ku satellite range.
Sorry to say this most recent revision of ViewSat S/W ( 2013 ) is pretty buggy. In frustration, I surfed about and came across another satellite board which seemed to imply that the ViewSat could even be used as a C Band STB! They simply dropped in a freq. that was down in the C-Band range and use a C-Band LNB/VBox setup on a BUD. They also indicated it was possible to plug in any freq. you want via keypad... the site in question was beginning to sound like a "hack" site to me:devil: . Sorry I won't go any further on those guys. But they got me to thinking...
I entered 9750 in the LNB high freq field and kept 9750 in the LNB low field. Instantly, the signal and quality meters on the screen when green and hit the limits. I then did an ordinary "Channel Scan" of the stuff thats manually entered by ViewSat, and pretty much acquired every channel documented on LyngSat for G-10R and a few that weren't.
Sounds pretty good eh? Other than the weird LNB freq entry, the ViewSat was tracking all freqs. EXACTLY! I went off and pulled in IA5 just for the fun of it in the same way. For the time being I have more TV and Radio than I can absorb in the next few months.:hungry:
Well, before you go off thinking "one more happy camper"... NOT QUITE:( Simple truth , is that even with this "break thru", the BlindScan sucks the big one. It could only find 19 channels on one TP before, and it still can't do any better:confused: . It couldn't do anything with the other satellites before and still can't ( though at least the 19 it found were now on the right freq. :rolleyes: ).
Now would any one like to speculate on why ViewSat would insert 9750/10600 automatically on a universal LNB ( just like you'd expect ) and have it so far off the real entry point? And why would BlindScan be so... ummm... well... blind? Almost like its scanning to fast to get a lock... :confused:

Hi...I have the Extreme from Viewsat. but it is split off on the KU leg of my BUD. I had the Blindscan just search for FTA channels on G10R and it came up with over 70 channels!!! (some were duplicates but definately on different channels, and it was definately on G10R since that is also the same spot for G0 on the 4DTV!) I wonder if it is the BUD or???? I only told the antenna setup that it was using a standard LNB and the Extreme did the rest. G10R did take a long scan since it was so loaded! Probably about 10 minutes!

With the Extreme, the Quality meter is always orange and some of the channels on G10R pegged it at 100! When that puppy locks, there is no doubt that it has hooked something!!!

Sunday morning is amazing on G10R...you go from one infomercial to the next!!
Jeff

Last edited:
This sound similar to my problem in an earlier post. I have an Invacom Quad LNB and VS Plat. When I try to setup for Nimiq2, (my true south) the receiver shows that I'm on another satellite at the top of the Antenna Setup screen. It does this for every satellite I try to point to. Is this an lnb frequency issue or a bug in the software?

satseeker said:
This sound similar to my problem in an earlier post. I have an Invacom Quad LNB and VS Plat. When I try to setup for Nimiq2, (my true south) the receiver shows that I'm on another satellite at the top of the Antenna Setup screen. It does this for every satellite I try to point to. Is this an lnb frequency issue or a bug in the software?

Rumour has it that you need to reset the STB ( complete power off and thne on after about 20 seconds ) Seems my speculaton on buffer overuns was true:(

gizzer777 said:
With the Extreme, the Quality meter is always orange and some of the channels on G10R pegged it at 100! When that puppy locks, there is no doubt that it has hooked something!!!

Sunday morning is amazing on G10R...you go from one infomercial to the next!!
Jeff

Well, seems if you hunt for the right LNB freq ( Installation Menu ) , at some point your S and Q meters should go "green" and ( with a BUD will probably ) peg the meters.

I can get a lock, but I think its scanning too fast to properly isolate channels after that.

G-10R is certainly "amazing" that way...:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)