Viewsat Extreme question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkygod

Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
Hi,

Im very new to FTA receivers. My uncle is an FTA satellite installer and is offering to sell me the Viewsat 2000 platinum for 150 bucks (including the dish). I'm just wondering what the differences are between the Platinum and the Extreme. To me they look pretty identical in photos and feature list, with the only difference being the addition of component output. If i opt for the Extreme version it is likely to cost me an extra 50 dollars.

But if the only difference is Component outputs, then I don't think it would be worth it for me, since my current tv only has composite/s-video. What do you think i should go with?

I'll be using this with my dolbydigital receiver and possibly hooking it up to my Media Center PC for recording purposes.

Last edited:
Try for a better price or get a new one on Ebay!

mkygod said:
Hi,
Im very new to FTA receivers. My uncle is an FTA satellite installer and is offering to sell me the Viewsat 2000 platinum for 150 bucks (including the dish). I'm just wondering what the differences are between the Platinum and the Extreme. To me they look pretty identical in photos and feature list, with the only difference being the addition of component output. If i opt for the Extreme version it is likely to cost me an extra 50 dollars.
But if the only difference is Component outputs, then I don't think it would be worth it for me, since my current tv only has composite/s-video. What do you think i should go with?
I'll be using this with my dolbydigital receiver and possibly hooking it up to my Media Center PC for recording purposes.

Hi...Just an FYI...You can get an Viewsat Plat 2000 new on Ebay for under $170 shipped )No dish though) !!! Never had the Plat version, but the extreme has the component outs and HARDWARE Blindscan (I think it is hardware,,,it is pretty fast!} Not sure what if anything is different....I would check on whether either is really in hardware (I still think the extreme is in hardware) Your uncle will know I bet!

Let us know!
Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Now I am wondering if an extra 40-50 bux is worth it for faster blindscan. I'm not familiar with the normal wait times for blindscan; is it that big of a hassle to sit through? And how often will you have to do a blindscan?

I just checked the viewsat site and according to their description does have hardware blindscan, whereas the Platinum says "firmware blindscan". Aside from that and Component out, everything else is identical.

My uncle is offering 150 for the Platinum, including a dish (not sure if 18" or 30") and free installation, so i think that is not bad of a deal. Maybe the extra money i could put into upgrading to a bigger dish?

Last edited:
mkygod said:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Now I am wondering if an extra 40-50 bux is worth it for faster blindscan. I'm not familiar with the normal wait times for blindscan; is it that big of a hassle to sit through? And how often will you have to do a blindscan?
I just checked the viewsat site and according to their description does have hardware blindscan, whereas the Platinum says "firmware blindscan". Aside from that and Component out, everything else is identical.
My uncle is offering 150 for the Platinum, including a dish (not sure if 18" or 30") and free installation, so i think that is not bad of a deal. Maybe the extra money i could put into upgrading to a bigger dish?

Yep...the dish and installation does sound attractive! I would watch closely as knowledge is a great thing to have at tuneup time! BTW THERE IS NEW FIRMWARE FOR THE PLATINIUM ON THE SITE AS WELL...SAME VERSION NUMBER!

What are you looking to receive? Maybe get a motor so you can move the dish around unless you are just looking to get one sat?

mkygod said:

The blind scan takes me on average of 5-6 minutes per bird. You only have to do it once for each sat ,(unless you mess with your system) and then the receiver remembers the channels and info needed to get the found channels when you hit store. Each FTA receiver I looked at can store thousands of channels...some 5000+ others 3000+ ..that's alot of channels!\

With Blind scan, I was up and running within 20 minutes...the manual was just passable because I already knew the basics of TVRO, from about 15 yrs of owning a BUD. Granted, the FTA was a slight departure, but the principals and Sat locations are basically the same. I just interpreted the sat names (Lyngstat.com) and compared their locations to the ones in my 4dtv and Voila...pressed a button on the 4DTV to move the dish to the bird I wanted to scan! Polarity is very important and right now must be set thru the 4dtv 1st! (just odd/even channels have either H or V polarity. Also already had a KU LNB, so I was already halfway home! Just added the new receiver, 2 splitters and the disq (spelling/?) switch, It is important to get the right kind of splitter 900-2150 MHZ with power passed to 1 port only.

The blind scan is useful for newbies like me when you know nothing except where the sat is. It scans all channels, freqs etc. You just walk away and when it is over, there is a list of channels waiting for you to edit, save etc! really a great addition, especially for those of us who are new to FTA. My buying decision was based partially on the unit having to have hardware blind scan (faster supposedly than software based blind scan ...also smart scan etc!)...Did a bit of research before buying. It was either the Viewsat Extreme, Coolsat 5000, or Pansat 3500S (Priced from about $170-$210 on Ebay...I decided on the Viewsat Extreme but I am sure the others are good to! Since i already had a moveable 8 ft dish with my 4DTV, the purchase was painless, although I will eventually get a smaller dish for the FTA stuff.
Hope this helps
Jeff

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for splitting off my post. I was hesitant about posting another thread in the general fta forum in fear of a double-post.

I'm hoping to receive all the regular local channels and also the same ones in different timezones throughout the US and Canada. I also want some foreign channels, such as Asian and European channels(dunno if these fta receivers hand PAL). Is it true that European DVB tend to run at a higher video bitrate? I'm also looking for some way for me to integrate this FTA receiver into my HTPC-run home theater(Mediacenter pc).

Not familiar with a lot of the terms you use Grizzly (4dtv, voila, ku lnb, tvro). You sure don't sound like a newbie to me! Is there a glossary of terms I can look up? When i said i was new, i should have said i was a total newb. I can't tell the difference between a satellite dish and a deep dish pizza.

mkygod said:
Hi, thanks for splitting off my post. I was hesitant about posting another thread in the general fta forum in fear of a double-post.
I'm hoping to receive all the regular local channels and also the same ones in different timezones throughout the US and Canada. I also want some foreign channels, such as Asian and European channels(dunno if these fta receivers hand PAL). Is it true that European DVB tend to run at a higher video bitrate? I'm also looking for some way for me to integrate this FTA receiver into my HTPC-run home theater(Mediacenter pc).
Not familiar with a lot of the terms you use Grizzly (4dtv, voila, ku lnb, tvro). You sure don't sound like a newbie to me! Is there a glossary of terms I can look up? When i said i was new, i should have said i was a total newb. I can't tell the difference between a satellite dish and a deep dish pizza.
I am very much an FTA newbie! Been into the big dishes since 1976 though...Yeah, I was around when G1 was a NEW satellite!!!
4DTV is Motorola's digital Big dish receiver (General Instruments started but was bought out!)
LNB is the Low noise Block (electronics in the center of the dish that amplifies the signal...on the pole in the center or offset on an offset dish)
KU...just a set of Frequencys different from C band (same sats too!)
VOILA...FRENCH for " and now you have it"<grin>
TVRO = Television receive only
Pete (PSB) just posted a glossary link http://www.dmsiusa.com/satexpo/glossary.htm
Now that I have seen and Heard FTA, I will be buying a small (motorized) dish to dedicate to the new FTA They are relatively cheap and hook up easily (my BUD (Big Ugly Dish) experience will help me there) Just got done trimming back some trees that would have interferred with my west most "Look" for FTA! (it was not to hard once I took the reciprocating saw to them....went nuts on one of them that was right in the west view!) (those locations were not used for my 4DTV BUD) I am really liking free TV (for a change) but will also keep my 4DTV alive and well for 1st Generation subscriptions like Starz! The pizza pan guys start at $$32 per month which includes local TV (big whoop), and alot of stuff you can get for free between 4dtv and FTA + stuff you would never watch!...then the subscription stuff is really high! (Not to mention the Picture quality (PQ) which really suffers from all the compression!)You can get Starz subscription (30 Channels of it) for inder $10 per month from NPS (www.callnps.com). They also sell packages with the 4dtv receivers!
Regards and Merry Christmas
Jeff

Last edited:
mkygod said:

JUST HAD A CRUISE ON eBAY...FTA PRICES ARE REALLY DROPPING FAST ...MUST BE MORE NEW RECEIVERS ON THE WAY!

PANSAT 3500S...BELOW $140!!!
VIEWSAT EXTREME BELOW $200!!!

Usals

dstrouth said:
Does the viewsat support USALS?

Hello:

I believe so (the Extreme)...according to the motor setup control menu anyway...I have not set up a dedicated moving dish yet so I cannot confirm it is working but since it appears, it should! It also seems to have the "go to" function built in...at least in its menus! I hope to set up a dedicated dish within a few weeks and when I do, I will add info!!
Hope this helps
jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)