Viewsat HD a Bad Choice for C-Band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Well I have to send my sonicview in for some warranty work, and I didn't want to be without an HD receiver, so I popped for a Viewsat 9000. The specs on it indicated that it could do MPEG 2, 4 and DVB S-2 out of the box, so I thought it might be a good choice for big dishing.( Sonic doesn't say some of that in its specs)

Not good so far. I do have a home theater setup - a projector onto a 10 foot diameter screen, so I get to see a lot of close-up details of picture quality.

So far, the Sonicview HD receiver is superior in picture quality and in other categories. The SV, for example, will display a good 720p picture with quality signal at 20 to 25%. VS won't. Pan & Scan on SV looks good, unwatchable on VS.

The graph used by Sonic in its Settings Menu keeps the watcher better informed about what the dish is doing up there.

Scanning, even blind scanning the Viewsat, leaves out channels.

Sole area of VS superiority? The SV remote control is a joke, much better on the VS.

Now maybe it's the upconversion chip in my Home Theater receiver. Could be that the Sonic just happens to be compatible with it whereas the VS isn't.

Forced to choose between them, I'd live with the annoying remote control and go with the Sonicview.

Thoughts?

Hi Lone Cloud, hope that you told them at Sonicview about the poor remote funtions, because on alot of them it was a miss placed eye in the window of the face of the receiver, a bright flash light shinning will see if it is aline or not.

An yes you are right about the VS9000 had 1, but don't any more, was very glad when i sold it. an their was alot about that receiver I didn't care for, but you don't know when they first come out, an no DVBS-2 with it either.

Viewsat and Sonicview are not that great, If I really wanted a HD dvb receiver right now it would be a Coolsat or Digiwave.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts